It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley To Call For Confederate Flag To Be Removed From South Carolina Capitol: Reports

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Derp! Ignore me.
I was thinking about the Feds trying to draw out the first shot in war by resupplying Ft. Sumpter.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

It represents a country and collection of states that tries to self-determine its governance and at this point has aged to the point that not all of its history is sunshine and rainbows, but it also represents a people that strive for something better all the time. Stop buying into the conservative view that our government is trying to take away our rights. For every right that is trampled, another right gets reinforced. The history of government legislation in this country is a history of give and take. The power of different rights wax and wane all the time.

America isn't perfect, but we are always looking to improve on things we've done wrong in the past. Meanwhile, the Confederate flag represents a time when the dissenters believed as you do now and decided to settle matters violently. It is the opposite of what America is supposed to stand for.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
So far Haley's comments are striking the right cord.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
She's speaking live now, I thought she was going to backpedal for a minute there but no she announced that "it's time to move the flag from the capital grounds."

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Haley is the new and improved and smarter Sarah Palin. Just wait for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Disregarding your anarchist stance for the moment, do you think it is conducive to a functioning government to promote a time in the past when the government was so dysfunctional, that it split in half?

Disregard the entire philosophical basis of my position so that I can debate purely within the confines of someone else's ideological box?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Is it so hard to do this? The question is rather harmless. Surely you have some opinions on what makes a government work and what hinders it right? After all, I assume you didn't come to your anarchist stance for no reason.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Good, it's about damn time! That flag is a symbol of racism and hatred.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Good. I applaud their ability to actually listen to the people and not their lobbyists. A lot of people seem to think this is nothing, a band-aid, a pacification. I disagree. Removing that flag from government buildings is saying, I hear you... it is taking responsibility for the message the symbol sends and taking action to correct it. An elected government is supposed to hear the people that elect it, not tell some of those people that they aren't equal to others.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Let them fly it so they can remember how badly they got their / ss kicked.
edit on 22-6-2015 by alphastrike101 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: alphastrike101

Don't worry, if you ever were to attend a history class taught in the south, the Civil War is one of the longest chapters they discuss. I was not only born in Charleston, SC, I also lived in West Point, Mississippi (a small town in near Columbus). I got so tired of hearing about the Civil War that I only now have started talking about it again. For the longest time I'd just not research things during that period in our history.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

If she bent over any further backwards to coddle some of her constituency, she would have snapped in half.

What I didn't realize until just a few moments ago was that the Confederate flag wasn't flying over the statehouse in South Carolina until 1962 and it was raised by vote of the all-white legislature as a direct response to the Civil Rights movement.

Wow. I think the "Heritage" side of the "Heritage vs Hate" debate are going to be hard pressed to honestly keep pretending that this is an issue of heritage unless they are recognizing South Carolina's "proud segregationist heritage."

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I find it so Ironic that people who say we shouldnt rally to any banner.........

That we shouldnt have allegiance to ANY flag........

Are so offended they want to remove one?

Seems like more hypocrisy to me

link   

Fine. In a republic such as what the US is supposed to be, I believe it is the duty of its member states to constantly remind the central authority of who is really in charge.

And of what will happen if that central authority steps outta line.

I see no problem with a state government flying a flag that represents, essentially, a giant middle finger to the federal authority. In fact I encourage it. It's part of why that state government exists in the first place.

Satisfied? Can't set the anarchism aside entirely, but I tried.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
It's almost like an "eff you" to the federal government by flying it.

God forbid any state return the sentiments they receive from the feds back to DC in like fashion, right?

Yet another example of the Pavlovic, knee jerk reactionary horsecrap that passes for modern policy in the USA.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
I guess all of you should start complaining about the state flag of Mississippi then.

Should there be a petition to take the British Union Flag off the Hawaii state flag?

After all, us British are always being told how naughty we where in the past.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
If she bent over any further backwards to coddle some of her constituency, she would have snapped in half.

I think it was really important that she acknowledged how some people see the flag as a symbol of Heritage. Regardless what I think about the symbol, I'm fairly certain that there are a number of people who disagree with me on it. And she is governor of all of them. I really respected the way she handled this. The government buildings represent all of the people of SC as well and now, hopefully, the flags that fly there will, too.

What I didn't realize until just a few moments ago was that the Confederate flag wasn't flying over the statehouse in South Carolina until 1962 and it was raised by vote of the all-white legislature as a direct response to the Civil Rights movement.

Wow. I didn't know that. It's pretty sick.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm from South Carolina. Lived there until I was old enough to move and I never went back.

If those who enjoy the flag and its symbol of "heritage", would have stood up for that said "heritage", would have taken a stand and defended the flag from being hijacked by groups that preach hate, white supremacy, segregation, this wouldn't be happening.

I've seen this flag, on tshirts, bumper stickers, beach towels, hats, belt buckles, beer koosies, spare tire covers,pillow cases, sunglasses, wallets, patches, mailboxes, baseball bats,brass knuckles, gun holsters and I never heard anyone shooting the s#!t about their great great grand relatives contributions to the civil war.

I did however hear a lot of blatantly racist, and subtlety racist comments from these people.
I'm not saying this applies to everyone, just my personal experience.

I simply ask, if it meant so much to you, why didn't you defend it from evil, and ignorance?
And if it still means that much to you I would hope you would want to take it back... And put it in a museum, so it holds the reverence you think it deserves.

Thank you for listening.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

God forbid any state return the sentiments they receive from the feds back to DC in like fashion, right?

You mean like in 1962 when the all-white legislature put it up in reaction to the Civil Rights movement? Ah, the noble cause of thumbing your nose at Civil Rights. Well worth defending right?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yea, all that federal aide the states receive from the federal government certainly IS a big eff you to the states. Man the NERVE of the federal government, giving the states a bunch of money to implement its local policies!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join