It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the ATS Truckers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DeepImpactX

All trucks will be required to have an EOBR within the next few years. Run it through that, and you have your link to the home terminal.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Another issue I can see with this is the clarity of the feed and people looking at the screen while attempting to pass instead of looking straight ahead.

The clarity of the screen could make you think the road is clear while it might not be.

I think this could be a great tool , but I can also see a lot of people putting to much faith on it with some deadly consequences.

I also see potential liability towards the owner of the truck.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I would be happy just to be able to see exit ramp signs. Aim that camera UP!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
I would be happy just to be able to see exit ramp signs. Aim that camera UP!
That wouldn't exactly solve any safety problem but it would save some fuel to be able to see the exit signs, so you don't miss your exit and have to waste gas as a result.

The only time I can't see around a truck for passing is when going around an outside curve and you're not supposed to pass then anyway (usually, unless the curve is very slight and the road markings allow passing). But I have missed more than one exit in unfamiliar territory while behind a truck, and no I wasn't tailgating.

You may not have to aim it up though, it looks like it might have a wide enough field of view to show the signs, though how legible the signs will be might depend on the quality of the cam, how much the cab is vibrating, etc.

I'll be a little surprised if this catches on, as I'm not sure the economics will work out even with insurance discounts, if there are any.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
While this is cool in appearance and certainly could have some benefits, I do have concerns.

I'm picturing heavy fog or rain and how difficult it can be to navigate during those times.

I know I focus directly ahead of me for the most part.

I can picture someone seeing the screen, but not the truck itself. The screen could become confusing in those situations. Not for everyone, but sometimes, in the worst weather conditions, I can see that happening.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I'd do a PiP mode with pictures of wrecks caused by tailgating trucks.

Omg! Bwahahaha! So mean but totally funny.

BTW I totally agree with everything you are posting, my husband drives a tanker so I get it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Ever tried to pass a semi? You can't see around it.

When I'm stuck behind one on a motorcycle, I always think of them as "surprise delivery systems".

I've gotten the retread surprise a few times, but the one I like most is where the truck straddles a road obstacle like a log and it pops out the back right in front of me. Surprise!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Awesome safety idea, but yeah, trucking companies aren't exactly known for embracing new (expensive) technology without a little help from the NTSB and DOT...

TheRedneck

Until they realize they can play ads on it. Then they'll be rolling ad delivery systems.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Thought I'd share this Anonymous comment from a 7 year old thread on the Mythbusters 'drafting behind a semi' episode"...in the future a special lane where you have to have a GPS and RADAR assisted auto-drive feature that locks your car into a WIFI enabled virtual train. If one car slows down...they all slow down. Just think of the 39% savings for hundreds of cars in a virtual long-haul high way train. It would save space. I see this becoming an opt-in system where cars that have the capability are given access to special designated lanes. This technology exists today it just takes the energy to get it put into practice"

How close is this to feasible and what's the time frame, if it's going to happen (or something like it)?

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

They're already testing it on some trucks. I suspect cars are a ways off though.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
According to a Mercedes commercial, Mercedes has thousands of hours of driverless cars in cities and towns across the US.

I considered making a thread about it, seems like it should be illegal.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

OMG, that's EXACTLY what will happen too. Oh what a nightmare that will be with ads that you can't escape unless you pass the truck and then you'll just be behind another one before long selling you Coke and car insurance.

No No No No NO!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Freightliner just unveiled an autonomous truck that uses the technology. It's driving in Nevada.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So? What do you do about the massive derp who sees a car coming at him on the screen, slams on the brakes, and gets run over from behind by Zaph?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

You have a lot of concerns about this.

This is the bottom line as I see it: You can't make bad drivers good with this.

You can show people what's ahead, but if they suck at driving.......they suck.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

About the same thing you do for the idiots that dive in front of us for the ramp, or the ones that get pissed about having to drive behind us so they pull in front of us and brake check us.
edit on 6/24/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Florida today. There's an SUV behind me.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I thought that was u.

I'm from swfl and the drivers are pretty bad in fl. But To be fair, majority of them are from out of state on the interstate as well.

You cant even see the suv. Good time for a 6' wide middle finger on the back of your truck to go up on tje display.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

That is common in every state out there. The only way to tell they're there is their shadow pops out sometimes, or they have to move over to see what's out there.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
What are some light signal "codes" to use with truckers?

Or anyone on the highway? Actually this is a fun question, think I'll make a thread. Zaphod et al don't answer here, answer there! I'll do it right now!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join