It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the ATS Truckers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
"A ‘Safety Truck’ that, thanks to a wireless camera on the front and a giant screen on the back, displays the view of the road ahead to drivers behind. Think of it as a see-through truck."

Also wouldn't this be pointless during daylight hours and night time unless it has night vision? Might be more of a PR stunt than anything else. What could go wrong and whats the insurance stance on this?

edit on 12630America/ChicagoMon, 22 Jun 2015 11:12:05 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

who is going to pay for it ?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Can you play Mario Kart on it?

That's the real question...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I was thinking the same thing, I think its more of a gimmick PR stunt than a practical device.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I can only imagine what eventually would be shown on the big screen if the driver forgets to switch the feed ,

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

It stated in the video that it operates with a night vision mode.

I can't help but get the feeling that there's a Road Runner gag somewhere in here waiting to happen.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

That is cool as hell.

I bet if you saw the car in front of you misjudge their pass timing . You would never pass a semi again . Lol

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
My guess is that truck drivers can't easily slow down at highway speeds and if something sudden were to happen, it would give more awareness to the drivers behind the truck so they may be able to react quicker.

Anything that causes anyone to discuss the company can of course be considered a marketing ploy. Killing two birds in the name of safety I guess.

These trucks make it impossible for drivers trailing them to see what is ahead of them. Moreover, drivers behind the truck can’t decipher if it’s safe to overtake the giants.

To make the decision simple for trailing drivers, Samsung mounted four large outdoor monitors at the back of the trucks. With cameras mounted in front of the truck feeding a live-view, the drivers behind can see what was earlier impossible. The cameras also have a night-vision mode ensuring the trailing drivers to see the road ahead even during the night.

Link

edit on 22-6-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
My guess is that truck drivers can't easily slow down at highway speeds and if something sudden were to happen, it would give more awareness to the drivers behind the truck so they may be able to react quicker...

Sure, unless the driver in the rear is too distracted by the screen and saying to his passengers "Hey -- look at the cool TV screen!"

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

There are times a car will pop out from behind me and I had no idea he was there. Because apparently cars think that driving 5 feet off the back of my trailer is both safe and saves them fuel. If I had to tap my brakes for any reason they'd be under my trailer.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

IMO, it's a good idea that will probably become standard equipment at some point in the near future.

It might take some getting used to, but in the long run I think it will save lives.

Those back up cameras in the newer cars take a little getting used to as well but they too will save countless lives.

Good find! F&S

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Ever tried to pass a semi? You can't see around it.

I've sat in both seats. I can't count the number of times a car has tried to pass me when there's oncoming traffic they can't see... and I'm not exactly agile in a 40-ton semi to help them out.

Awesome safety idea, but yeah, trucking companies aren't exactly known for embracing new (expensive) technology without a little help from the NTSB and DOT...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
4a reply to: Zaphod58

This is a topic that has caused me some issues in the past. I will say a couple things.

1 this is dangerous. This is the reason people tailgate motorcycles, because they can see through them. Going the limit on two wheels is practically impossible in traffic.

2 this is fairly unnecessary. Trucks do take longer to stop, so in a sense this is not more than a very complicated and distracting brake light.

3 this is awesome. The gas savings drafting a truck are truly mind boggling. I know that's not why they do it, see points 1 and 2, but I love max information, especially traveling.

I had occasion to test the savings on a multistate trip. Never had to stop for gas. My trucker friend wouldn't have stopped with me anyhow.

It was white knuckle driving, even with him signaling me well in advance of any changes. I filled up twice on the way there.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

At a certain point you start to lose fuel mileage when you ride a truck like that. You have to start feathering the throttle to stay in the same place. This is proven.

But by all means, ride two feet off the back of my trailer for your fuel savings. Stress me out to the point I might make a mistake. Then I can be blamed for every accident that happens. Oh wait, truck drivers already are.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

At a certain point you start to lose fuel mileage when you ride a truck like that. You have to start feathering the throttle to stay in the same place. This is proven.

But by all means, ride two feet off the back of my trailer for your fuel savings. Stress me out to the point I might make a mistake. Then I can be blamed for every accident that happens. Oh wait, truck drivers already are.

Yah I wouldn't do that to ya boss. I had permission.

In my case, it felt like there were tow cables attached. Once I got in that negative pressure spot, I was along for the ride. I'm sure the vehicles etc, make a huge difference, I was in a little manual transmission 4 cyl pickup.

Mythbusters data had efficiency approaching 100%.

It's definitely not worth the savings. It takes constant vigilant attention. And the risk of ruin is off the charts.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

I can see the good too, but I also see some bad.

Will it become a distraction?
Will it be a criminal act to mess with the feed? What if the driver is playing a pre recorded feed?

What is the effectiveness of it based on visibility? Does it work with the sun out or at night?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I don't drive a big rig , but I trailer my boat and my 35' travel trailer and I have had he same thing happen.

Will this actually encourage more stupidity from drivers? Will they ride even closer or more often now that they can see in front?

I wonder if switching the camara to the back and displaying those driving behind to the big screen with a warning might actually be more helpful? Or maybe at least a Picture in Picture mode (PIP), LOL

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Sorry, didn't mean to sound snappish, but that's a huge issue for me to deal with almost every day, and people just don't get it a lot of the time.

There is so much more to driving a truck than the average person realizes, and there are days I get done and just hit the bunk because I'm so worn out. Having four wheelers tailgating that close just adds to it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I'd do a PiP mode with pictures of wrecks caused by tailgating trucks.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: Flatfish

I can see the good too, but I also see some bad.

Will it become a distraction?
Will it be a criminal act to mess with the feed? What if the driver is playing a pre recorded feed?

What is the effectiveness of it based on visibility? Does it work with the sun out or at night?

Don't give the driver the option of being in control of the feed. Operate it from the central terminal. This would only be possible, of course, with the bigger trucking companies.

It has night vision, it works 24/7 just fine. Between this invention and a 180 degree camera in the cab, I don't see why companies wouldn't jump on this. The manufacturer and insurance companies can get together and make it profitable, via insurance discounts, for the trucking companies to install this. Those two products alone will leave no doubt as to who was responsible for an accident

I for one would love to see this in action. It would help a great deal going through mountain passes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join