It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SC Governor calls for death penalty for church shooter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
As if this story wasn't already complicated and intricate enough, now the governor has weighed in on the case saying Roof should "absolutely" be executed.

Plot twist: South Carolina doesn't have the capability to execute anybody right now! The state currently has lethal injection and electrocution as means of execution, but an inmate can't be forced into electrocution. The state is currently out of the drug cocktail for lethal injection and hasn't been able to purchase any more. Drug companies and pharmacists are unwilling to provide the drug out of fear of harassment.

So now we have an event that's only days old, with significant racial overtones, that has caused a reignition of the race debate, the debate about Confederacy symbols in the state, and the governor is weighing in on the death penalty even though the state can't execute anybody right now anyway.

www.pennlive.com...

God, racism, guns, and now the death penalty. All in one event. Holy smokes

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Does SC court want him dead? Does they forget what he did few days ago?

Send him to the toughest prison in the US!
edit on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 07:32:40 -0500America/Chicago403222America/Chicago6302015f by residentofearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Politicians need to shut the hell up and quit complicating these cases.

edit on 22-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Death penalty doesn't stop people killing each other it only serves as revenge.
We are better then that.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I do not think that there was ever any doubt that this tragic event, would bring about wide ranging and diverse debate. It has implications for so much of society, law, politics, the nature of this thing we call humanity, guns and their availability, and so on.

I think that it is important to recognise that knee jerk responses in wider culture, to events like these are rarely as effective, and more importantly positive in their outworking, as they might seem in the immediate aftermath. Like the events of 9/11, this shooting COULD, if things are allowed to grow out of control by the onlooking public, turn into another event which alters the legal, sociological and political landscape in a very negative fashion indeed. You will recall that acts of terror (which this clearly is) have historically resulted in a loss of liberty for completely innocent people, all over the world, let alone in the nations in which they have occured.

Communications interception, wide ranging and arbitrary, has been excused, allowed, and facilitated both in secret, and despite public outrage. Laws which render many of us here on this very website, as targets for increased government scrutiny have been passed, arrests and detention without charge are possible in nations which previously officially eschewed the practice, and these and many more changes which were justified by an act of extremist violence, have altered the lives of innocent people, in ways they may not necessarily be aware of consciously, but altered negatively all the same.

It is vital that this terrible crime be prosecuted to the fullest extent which the law allows for, that much is not up for debate, and if that means that the fellow in question gets fried, or pumped full of poison, then that is just his tough luck. The awful bastard made his choice, and consequences will be experienced comensurate with that.

However, it is just as vital that events like these are not used to further grind away at the ever thinning list of rights that people enjoy in the US. To allow such a thing would be to hand a win to the savage bastards who would seek to destroy lives and cause harm to flesh and soul alike. As for SC being unable to purchase the correct chemicals to do away with the perpetrator of this recent abomination if it comes to it, and being unable to force the man into an electric chair... bullets are cheaper, and a blade cheaper still.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: residentofearth

I don't support the death penalty, but he'll probably never have any contact with other inmates. He'll probably just spend he's days on constant lock down, watching tv and buzzing on medication. At least that's what Martin Byrant does, the American prison system may do things differently though.

But having said that, if I had the choice between 23 hours lock down everyday for the rest of my life, or a quick death, I'd choose the quick death.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Crazy person shoots up church, a few days later a governor says he should be executed.

Cop shoots unarmed person on video, officials say, "Let's not rush to judgement. We need to get all the facts. Let's remain calm."

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Other than short-term gratification and maybe some votes for the Guvna, I fail to see what killing roof will achieve at this stage of the healing phase - especially in light of the fact that those most effected by that horrible event, the church folk and family members of the slain, have apparently forgiven Roof and let the whole world know that hate can never triumph over love.

Let him live with his actions in a cell with bubba - killing him is a cop-out and quite frankly that's letting him get away with the crime without being properly punished - he would probably welcome death given how hated he is and how little remorse he has shown.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This would appear to be an outsourcing opportunity. I would bet business will step up in the future since it money to be made.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
He should be sentenced to never being allowed to talk to or associate with white prisoners, only black prisoners.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Kid deserves to die. Hands down. He admitted to doing it, and was stonefaced about it.

That said, no politician should be baying for blood. That's for Jurors and citizens to decide.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Question; Does the 'death penalty' work to discourage further acts of criminal violence?

Answer; Obviously not.

Conclusion; The death penalty IS the further acts of criminal violence, masked under the guise of revenge and retribution.

Reasoning; The death penalty is a vehicle for governmental hypocrisy..murdering the murderers is still very much murder, whether state sanctioned or not, and quite obviously punishing murder by yet more murder is gross hypocrisy, that instils a legitimacy to the act of violent murder in itself...when will they learn that authorities HAVE to lead by example, and the example tptb indeed set, is generally the one the public follow..unsurprising that there is still plenty of violent murder really.

Life in prison, basic amenities, basic rations, is a much bigger deterrent than a swift end. Plus, it has the added advantage of not being a hypocritical pile of BS.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: residentofearth

But having said that, if I had the choice between 23 hours lock down everyday for the rest of my life, or a quick death, I'd choose the quick death.

Yeah, this is why he should spend rest of his life in the prison, locked 23h. Because it is worse than death.
edit on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 08:35:57 -0500America/Chicago573522America/Chicago6302015f by residentofearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Ya, that death penalty will really serve as a deterrent. With all the appeals he should be executed by say 2032. The death penalty in this country is a joke. You should be allowed two appeals only, all within in year of your sentencing. The execution should be carried out within the end of that year. I don't want to hear about innocent people being put to death either. If you can't prove your innocence in a trial or two appeals, tough cookies.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Here's what's going to happen....

America being a capitalist nation will play this incident for all it worth....books, movies, tv shows, documentaries, thousands of magazine articles with various slants, webisodes, etc.

media events and money are so intertwined it's obscene. Use ATS as a microcosm...this event will be scrutinized for years to come whether Roof is dead or in a cage. Was there or was there not a conspiracy? Look at all the mass killing...are they still being discussed on ATS?
Even the SH shooting investigation has opened up.

They will also wring out every drop of political blood possible out of this tragedy. We need to take a long hard look in our cultural mirror, here in the Land of the free, home of the brave.

edit on 22-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

What about hanging or firing squad? Those seem to work well.

Once convicted, *choot 'em!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
This would appear to be an outsourcing opportunity. I would bet business will step up in the future since it money to be made.

Actually I remember a news story,I believe last year, that talked about this "cocktail" that has been used in executions. Seems most of it was being supplied by a British company that supposedly did not know what it was being used for.
I'm don't recall if the entire concoction or just one or two of the chemicals used.
Just wondering if anyone else heard or remembers this?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The government has not given me any trust or faith in them or any reason to believe the story that unfolded occurred the way it was presented. I don't believe in capital punishment but also think that a team of black ops and the powers behind them are the ones who need to be thrown in prison, with him if he "in sound mind and body and under no mind control, did this.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
People need to stop apologizing for refusing to believe official news, like this new case, designed to amp up race tensions and demands to repeal constitution.

The leaders of the world, conduct themselves in such a way that no one owes them faith, confidence, trust or belief in any event anytime anywhere, and if we ever make a mistake and the event literally happened, have no apologies to offer, for due to their actual nature and corruption, the margin for error when you distrust them is rather small percentage wise, I'd say.

And here we have a politician, a corrupt power hungry broker for the corporations, calling for retaliation and bloodshed against someone who seems to be their patsy, IMO.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Have you forgotten about the instances where people have been proved innocence after decades due to the prosecution and/or witnesses intentionally withholding or manipulating evidence or giving false testimony at the trial in order to secure a conviction?

Your argument fails.

Other than that, yeah the death penalty is a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join