It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypersonic Russian ICBM tested!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I read somewhere today that Russia has just launched a hypersonic
Topol-M ICBM..no links by googling...I know that the Topol-M has been launched before, but is this launch any different from the others?? Are space faring ICBMs hypersonic or is this one different...

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I read somewhere today that Russia has just launched a hypersonic
Topol-M ICBM..no links by googling...I know that the Topol-M has been launched before, but is this launch any different from the others?? Are space faring ICBMs hypersonic or is this one different...

All ICBM"s are hypersonic. A Minuteman III is traveling about 15,000 MPH at 3rd stage burnout, and much faster as it begins to re-enter the atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
In order to escape gravity, a object must have a speed of 7+ kilometer per second as its speed or it'll just get dragged down.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
www.strategypage.com...

[edit on 25-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think earth orbital velocity is around 17,500 mph. So, the Minuteman comes close ...

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by netbound
I think earth orbital velocity is around 17,500 mph. So, the Minuteman comes close ...

The orbital velocity varies with altitude...

BTW, The Minuteman III (and most other ICBMS) could put it's warheads into orbit if it wanted to (instead it "wastes" energy putting the warhead higher into space, 700 miles, whereas a low earth orbit can be achieved at under 100 miles).

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
At a lower alititude it would be easier to shoot down,not that any ICBMs were easy to shoot down in the first place....

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Has this testing been an on going thing, even after the end of the cold war, or is this something new that they just started back up? Also, if this has become a rare event, is this thier response to our further development of the missle defense shield?

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think that the "hypersonic" label comes from the RAmjet or scramjet stage which engages when entering the athmosphere, allowing it to maneuver and thus avoid ABM systems, and the timing for it now is with the US system deployment. It would make sense anyway.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowboy
I think that the "hypersonic" label comes from the RAmjet or scramjet stage which engages when entering the athmosphere, allowing it to maneuver and thus avoid ABM systems, and the timing for it now is with the US system deployment. It would make sense anyway.

I doubt it, any info like this would surely be quite secret - but I seriously doubt it.....

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Then I wonder why they would publicise it as a 'hypersonic' missile launch...

Also after realising that all ICBMs are hypersonic, IMHO it would be stupid to call a missle hypersonic unless it had a ramjet stage within the atmosphere...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Old News.
The missile launched today was merely to check and make sure that these type systems still work as prescribed. The first Topol-M (RS-12M, SS-27) test-launched in 1994.
Apparently, the Russian's have periodically been firing them off to check their capabilities: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and now....2004.

All ICBM's are "hypersonic" because they can reach hypersonic speeds. This, in no way, implies that they incorporate "hypersonic" technology though.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Then I wonder why they would publicise it as a 'hypersonic' missile launch...

Also after realising that all ICBMs are hypersonic, IMHO it would be stupid to call a missle hypersonic unless it had a ramjet stage within the atmosphere...

Or for publicity after seeing the big deal made about the US "hypersonic ramjet" tests this summer.

On a side note, the US also periodically tests ICBM's, about 4-6 per year....

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I have heard theories before about Railgun fired nukes (MGS anyone?) but I personally don't see the point since ICBM's already travel at tremendous velocity...

I HIGHLY doubt that the PAC-3 is capable of shooting down anything than an ancient SCUD missile...

Unless i'm seriously mistaken...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I HIGHLY doubt that the PAC-3 is capable of shooting down anything than an ancient SCUD missile...

You base that on what?

Another of your mysterious "sources" perhaps?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
No rather on the fact that ICBM's travel at HYPER-SONIC velocities, I don't see a Mach 5 missile hit that...it's like shooting down a Meteor...Unless the PAC-3 missiles feature either a HEL or a VERY large warhead that is detonated roughly in the path of the other missile (which is kinda the case but not really)

The PAC-3 uses a shaped charge to take out the other missile, it's like trying to fire a gun at a car that flies by at Mach speed from a car going at 100 KPH...

And honestly, I think the YAL-1 Air Borne Laser would be much more effective than the Patriot...

I think the PAC-3 is just a cover for a secret program...

[edit on 27/12/2004 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You do not require Hypersonic technology to achieve hypersonic speeds. I believe the only way for ICBM's to break atmoshperic contact is through hypersonic speeds.

Hypersonic technology is very different, it incorperates airbreathing jets, known as hyperscramjets. This technology was used on the X-43a "Falcon".

The ICBM's use rockets to achieve their speeds, the X-43 uses a Pegasus rocket and Hyperscramjet to achieve its speed.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

join