It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truly, truly; The Son sent by the Father

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
“AMEN AMEN LEGO HUMIN”

Jesus was fond of using the phrase “Truly I say to you”, but the “double” version, with the repeated AMEN, is found only in John’s gospel.
He seems to use it to mark things which he wants people to remember.

In recent weeks, I’ve been working through the “Truly, truly” statements of the gospel, taking them individually.
The time has come to bring them together, to see what message they’re presenting when taken as a whole.

You shall see heaven opened

“Truly, truly, I say to you; you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man”- ch1 v51

The opening statement in the sequence prepares the way for the others, by showing Jesus to be the “middle man” between heaven and earth.
He is the Son of Man, but he is also God’s representative upon earth.
That’s how he can bring the two parties together.
The “true Israelite” is one who can recognise what he is doing.

You must be born anew

“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God” – ch3 v3

“Truly, truly I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God” –ch3 v5.

“Truly, truly I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen; but you do not receive our testimony”- ch3 v11

So the benefits of his work for men begin with a new relationship.
The believer is “born afresh” as one of the children of God.
The new birth comes by means of the power of God, acting through the Holy Spirit.
But this requires us to listen to and believe in the message which Jesus brings.

The hour is coming

“Truly, truly I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees his Father doing” –ch5 v19

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life”-ch5 v24

“Truly, truly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of Man, and those who hear will live”- ch5 v25

The Father has sent the Son for the purpose of offering new life, a life which will be eternal.
So the believer receives this life as a consequence of the new relationship.
But this depends on “hearing the voice of the Son of Man” – that is, as already observed, it requires us to listen to and believe in the message which Jesus brings.

The true bread from heaven

“Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek me not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.” Ch6 v26

“Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven”- ch6 v32

“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you”.ch6 v53

Our old life, the life which comes to an end, is nourished by physical food.
But the new life will be “nourished” directly by the life which the Father provides through the Son.
This power to provide life makes him greater than Moses, who had been associated with giving them the manna.

He will never see death

“Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin”-ch8 v34.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death” – ch8 v51

“Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am” –ch8v58.

The other side of the coin is that receiving new life means escaping death, which came to us as the consequence of sin.
Once more, this depends on listening to and “keeping” the message contained in the “word” which Jesus brings.
He is able to make this promise because of his close relationship with the Father.
The power to save them from death shows him to be greater also than their father Abraham.

The shepherd and the door

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in another way, that man is a thief and a robber; but he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep” -ch10 vv1-2

“Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep” –ch10 v7

We’ve learned already that the Son can promise life because of his close relationship with the Father.
But our access to that promise depends, at the same time, on our own close relationship with the Son, as members of his people.

The grain must die

“Truly, truly I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit” – ch12 v24

However, it is necessary that Jesus should die on the cross, before the promise contained in his word can become effective.
Then his new life can be shared with his people, those who believe in his word.

Your sorrow will turn into joy

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater things than these will he do, because I go to the Father” –ch14 v12

“Truly, truly, I say to you, you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy”- ch16 v20

“Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask anything of the Father, he will give it to you in my name” –ch16 v23

Just before his death, Jesus assures his disciples that he will be raised from the dead.
He also promises that they will not be left without help in the interval after the resurrection.
In other words, the new relationship between the believers and their God is one which continues, as implied in the previous promise that they will never die.
The outcome of their troubles will be joy and peace.

In short, the “Truly, truly” statements of John’s gospel, even taken on their own, are capable of giving us a complete outline of the gospel message.

edit on 21-6-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thank you for this. This is a treasure.
I was just reading this. It's inspiring.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger
Thank you for sharing that useful link.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
It would seem to me, that since these are only found in John, they may very well be an embellishment by the author himself, since the other 3 do not use it at all. 3 witnesses against. 1 for. But carry on. Just an observation.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Possibly, or possibly the other way round.
Perhaps many people who heard him were aware of the general habit of adding "truly" to his remarks, but the information in this gospel could come from someone who had been intimate enough in his company to notice the verbal tic of saying it twice.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
It would seem to me, that since these are only found in John, they may very well be an embellishment by the author himself, since the other 3 do not use it at all. 3 witnesses against. 1 for. But carry on. Just an observation.

It is also possible that each of the four Gospels, while telling the same story, that of Christ and His ministry, is most concerned with telling it from a different aspect. John is most concerned with the spiritual while Luke seems most concerned with the dry recounting of the facts as he remembers most like a historian. Each man is different and has his own particular voice and style.

Just because one gives an account slightly differently than the others does not mean that one is lying or remembering it wrong. It could just be that the other three were more concerned with making sure they recorded other events than with capturing the exact verbal cadence of Christ's words.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words .OP's post has a picture consistent with all of the new test. Lots of times we hear nay Sayers calming contradictions within the cannon but they seem to be missing a very important key to unlocking the mystery . Our new test. cannon was not a rag tag collections of writings but was purposely prepared by the same rules God used to create the old test. cannon .

A picture emerges from what God said and who He chose to say it to .He was careful to make sure that a priest alone was the only one suited to perform certain functions relating to the temple . " The Geographical Design of the Holy Scriptures " www.askelm.com... Just as the temple had it's design that served a function so too does the Bible . www.askelm.com... Note . our present bible is sectioned off differently then it's original design . tp://www.askelm.com/restoring/index.asp

"

The Temple Symbolized the Garden of Eden

These three compartments found in the Tabernacle and the permanent Temples were analogous to the three divisions of the Garden of Eden.

The Holy of Holies was the spot in the Garden where God appeared to Adam and Eve"in the cool of the day."

The Holy Place itself represented the whole of the Garden which was located in the Land of Eden.

The Court of Israel represented the Land of Eden and in its western part (after the expulsion of our first parents from the Garden region) was an altar on which Cain and Abel offered their sacrifices. This altar was located at the east entrance to the Garden.

But further east (and outside the limits of Eden) was the Land of Nod into which Cain was banished.

A further altar was raised up in Nod on the east side of Eden on which the sin offering for Cain and his descendants would be offered to cleanse them of sins. This was analogous to the Altar of the Red Heifer which was also east of the Tabernacle and the permanent Temples.

In the time of Christ, this Altar of the Red Heifer was situated directly east of the Temple entrances near the summit of the Mount of Olives. This was the region of Golgotha where Christ (the greatest sin offering of all time) was offered for the sins of Israel and the world.1

The Jews Are the Legal Custodians of the Holy Scriptures

The 22 books of the Hebrew and Aramaic Scriptures along with the 27 books of the Greek Scriptures (representing 49 books in all, that is, 7 times 7 books) are found in seven precise divisions:

The Law of Moses
The Prophets
The Writings or Royal Section
The Gospels with Acts
The General Epistles
The Epistles of Paul
The Book of Revelation

These books were given into the custody of the priests and elders of Israel for safekeeping (Deuteronomy 31:9, 26) and Paul confirmed this by stating that the Jews had great advantage over the Gentiles because "unto them were committed (or "entrusted") the oracles of God" (Romans 3:1–2). The priests and elders of Israel were assigned these authoritative roles in association with the Tabernacle and later at the Temple in Jerusalem. Interestingly, the Seven Divisions of the Holy Scriptures are also intimately connected with Temple symbolism.

The Temple and the Holy Scriptures

The Holy Scriptures are called the Word of God for Israel and mankind. Paul said they represent "the oracles of God" in an authoritative way. But the Temples were also called "the Oracles of God" (1 Kings 6:5; Psalm 28:2). 2 The place where God spoke in a Temple was specifically referred to as "the Oracle of God" (2 Samuel 16:23). It was significant that the written Law of Moses was deposited for safe keeping alongside the Ark of the Covenant inside the Holy of Holies (the Oracle, Deuteronomy 31:26).

When we look closely at the relationship between the written Oracles of God and that compartment of the Temple called, in a geographical sense, the Oracle of God, there is a definite connection. The First Division (the Law of Moses) placed alongside the Ark of the Covenant became inextricably affiliated, in a geographical sense, with the First Compartment of the Temple (the Holy of Holies. www.askelm.com... John may have been the guy God chose to collect, edit and ut into place our new test

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

This has been my observation as well. To me, it's like saying, "Really! I'm not kidding!" It reminds me of this fancy phrase turned by Paul:

Romans 911
I speak the truth in Christ--I am not lying, my conscience confirms it through the Holy Spirit--

And this one too:

Galatians 1:20
I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie.

edit on 22-6-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It is also possible that each of the four Gospels, while telling the same story, that of Christ and His ministry, is most concerned with telling it from a different aspect. John is most concerned with the spiritual while Luke seems most concerned with the dry recounting of the facts as he remembers most like a historian. Each man is different and has his own particular voice and style.

Just because one gives an account slightly differently than the others does not mean that one is lying or remembering it wrong. It could just be that the other three were more concerned with making sure they recorded other events than with capturing the exact verbal cadence of Christ's words.

It was suggested to me years ago to look at the Gospel accounts as 4 different witnesses to the same car wreak to use an analogue. They all saw the same wreak just from different angles.

top topics

join