It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father's Day: A dad wonders, does anyone ever get this job right?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

This Father’s Day, I’ll begin with a confession: My most important job is also the one that I’m least confident I’m doing correctly.

It demands everything, guarantees nothing, frustrates completely, and challenges endlessly. The hours are around the clock, the stress is unbelievable, and the pay is lousy. It’s heavy on responsibility, light on training, fraught with worry, and overwhelming in its scope. There is no making friends, generating excuses, passing the buck or sitting on the sidelines. The praise is spotty, the criticism unavoidable, and the consequences of failing everlasting.

He's right. From the time we first hold them, to the day we die, we spend endless hours wondering: "Am I doing this right?" "Have I given them enough attention, enough love, taught them the right values, to get through life"?
My worst fear, I mean the one that leaves me knotted up inside and makes me stop and think is: "What will they do when I'm gone". I can see my kids years from now, in some situation, needing advice, saying to themselves "I wish Dad was here".....and I'm not. Have I done my job as well as I can? I think I have. My kids are pretty down to Earth. They don't do drugs, don't smoke, get good grades and actually stick up for anyone they see getting bullied. If my daughter even thinks you've done something, in any way, to a special needs kid....well, the demons of Hell would be kinder to you than her. They fight between themselves, but God help the idiot who says or does anything to my daughter and my son gets wind of it. And he'll hold the one who picked on the special needs child while she kicks him.
Dads, even if our kids don't turn out to be perfect [ and no one is ] it's not completely our fault. We can only do so much and then they grow up to become their own person. They form their own opinions, their own values, their own ideas and we can only hope we have given them the right tools to form those idea and opinions. If three things I have taught my kids will stick with them and guide them through their lives, I will consider it a good job. Work hard, Be kind, Help others.
To all the Dads out there - It can be a thankless job, with no pay and long hours, but it's the best damn job we'll ever have.
Here's to us -

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

It's clear that being a father means a lot to you. I have no doubt that you're a fantastic one and will continue to be as long as you're around.

Happy Father's Day to you and to all the dads out there! Here's to you!

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Being a mother has the same responsibilities as being a father, and more. I am very aware of parental responsibilities, probably more than most.

As a mother I know how insensitive children are sometimes though I know I am loved and appreciated and that means more than a card or gift.

From your comment, it sounds like you are doing your best and actually being a responsible father which is much more than many 'fathers'.

Being a responsible father is to be commended so well done for that and for being a good example to your children and perhaps to other fathers.

The world would be a better place if all fathers were good fathers.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
For my husband, he says it's about what did his dad do or would his dad be proud of him for how he handled this. However, we admit that not everyone has that example to look up to.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I suppose at the end of the day you just get on with it and do the best that you can. Society will shape and mold our children in ways we cant possibly imagine or have little or no control over whatsoever.

Happy fathers days by the way.

edit on 21-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

As a dad for decades, it's still OJT, in my humble. :p

Happy Dads Day everyone!

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

This is the best quote I've ever seen about fatherhood .

"Before I got married I had six theories about raising children; now, I have six children and no theories."
John Wilmot

Edit;
My second favorite quote .

" it takes a whole village to raise a child "
edit on 21-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
For my husband, he says it's about what did his dad do or would his dad be proud of him for how he handled this. However, we admit that not everyone has that example to look up to.

Haha If I did that, no nvm.. I'm still here.. Early life sucked though.
All is forgiven, and I hope I am a better man if it comes my turn to pass on my self to my kid.

Happy Father's day Dad!

I Love you. Thanks for making me, me, even if it was the "wrong" way.
I like me soo.. I don't know if I can complain.

The one thing my parents got very right among other things, and among a sea of fear and anger..
They did make me have to think for myself. That one is priceless, and it's gotten me out of most of the other stuff.

Happy father's day to the rest of you as well.

edit on 21-6-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

They did make me have to think for myself

That's something I've always told my kids - Get The Facts - Form Your Own Opinion. Just because "everybody" says so, don't make it true.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

that is why you have 2. if 1 ends up screwed up, and the other doesn't, then you know it wasn't you.

Seriously...that is what comes with the territory. I am typically full of foolish confidence, so don't worry if i am doing it right. I just live my life to be able to look at myself in the mirror...and trust the rest will fall into place on its own.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Being a mother has the same responsibilities as being a father, and more.

I call BS on this.

100%.

Casual misandry is still misandry.
Just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
www.foxnews.com...

This Father’s Day, I’ll begin with a confession: My most important job is also the one that I’m least confident I’m doing correctly.

It demands everything, guarantees nothing, frustrates completely, and challenges endlessly. The hours are around the clock, the stress is unbelievable, and the pay is lousy. It’s heavy on responsibility, light on training, fraught with worry, and overwhelming in its scope. There is no making friends, generating excuses, passing the buck or sitting on the sidelines. The praise is spotty, the criticism unavoidable, and the consequences of failing everlasting.

He's right. From the time we first hold them, to the day we die, we spend endless hours wondering: "Am I doing this right?" "Have I given them enough attention, enough love, taught them the right values, to get through life"?
My worst fear, I mean the one that leaves me knotted up inside and makes me stop and think is: "What will they do when I'm gone". I can see my kids years from now, in some situation, needing advice, saying to themselves "I wish Dad was here".....and I'm not. Have I done my job as well as I can? I think I have. My kids are pretty down to Earth. They don't do drugs, don't smoke, get good grades and actually stick up for anyone they see getting bullied. If my daughter even thinks you've done something, in any way, to a special needs kid....well, the demons of Hell would be kinder to you than her. They fight between themselves, but God help the idiot who says or does anything to my daughter and my son gets wind of it. And he'll hold the one who picked on the special needs child while she kicks him.
Dads, even if our kids don't turn out to be perfect [ and no one is ] it's not completely our fault. We can only do so much and then they grow up to become their own person. They form their own opinions, their own values, their own ideas and we can only hope we have given them the right tools to form those idea and opinions. If three things I have taught my kids will stick with them and guide them through their lives, I will consider it a good job. Work hard, Be kind, Help others.
To all the Dads out there - It can be a thankless job, with no pay and long hours, but it's the best damn job we'll ever have.
Here's to us -

My children are all in their late 30s now. And I still have to be a dad to them. Short answer : it is a learning curve all the way with plenty of mistakes made. Learn from them and move on.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It's the little things that make it all worth while..........

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I call BS on your call of BS and accusation.

Did you have the responsibility of carrying your children in your womb?

How about giving birth to them?

Breastfeeding them?

Men cannot do that.

Therefore mother = more responsibility. FACT.

Casual uneducated misplaced accusations are still uneducated misplaced accusations, just saying!
edit on 21-6-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Well I'm glad the Father's Day thread has been hijacked by whether moms have it tougher or not.

I'm a single dad. Sole custody. My kids' mom is in and out of jail. I'll go toe to toe with any mom, married or not.

Does it really matter? No.

Because at the end of the day, all of us, mom or dad, have had those days where we're just happy everybody went to bed with the same number of fingers and toes and no extra, new holes in their bodies.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

It's Father's Day today.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Who hijacked it? A moderator?

I made an innocent comment of empathy as a parent.

Then I was accused of misandry by a moderator.

Nice. Not.

So much for ATS being a nicer place where people are expected to be considerate.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Your comment is aggressive to mothers and to me. I say you are part of the thread hijacking.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: homeskillet

Bandwagon much?

How about you actually read the comments I wrote on this thread in context.

Any excuse for hatred from your sort huh?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

If you're upset that there's a Father's Day thread, by all means go create a thread for all the moms to talk about how much harder they have it.

This is ludicrous.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join