It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your victim status?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
a reply to: pfishy

It is certainly an import from the US like many other things.
I'll give you another example, back in the 90's in the Civil Service new buzz words were introduced from corporate America to describe various disabilities.
Blind became visually challenged, Deaf became aurally challenged, etc, you get the picture.
Being an enthusiastic young employee with ambitions for senior promotion I lapped it up and embraced it.

First blind citizen I'm interviewing after the changes, old bloke in his 80's, sorry 'senior' gentleman:
Me: "I understand you are visually challenged so is there any way we can improve our service for you?"
Old bloke: "What are you on about?! I can't see a thing, visually challenged is when you struggle to see, I'm blind as a bat, who invented that silly term?!"
Me: "Sorry, I've just been told I can't say blind anymore."
Old bloke: "Well that's just stupid"

...the world and how we interact with each other is becoming stranger by the year as far as I see it.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I see how it is claimed to work, yes. I don't, however, see how this helps anyone at all. Being completely unable to deal with any difficulties in society seems to me to be a recipe for severe dysfunction and isolation.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

I see how it is claimed to work, yes. I don't, however, see how this helps anyone at all. Being completely unable to deal with any difficulties in society seems to me to be a recipe for severe dysfunction and isolation.

It doesn't unless you want to completely control how people think and speak by creating a climate of fear. This does that.

You can't even ask the guy next to you for help in class without worrying that you might accidentally be offending him and getting yourself in trouble now.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
unless you want to completely control how people think and speak by creating a climate of fear.

It's very much how I see it, heck if we covered every angle where someone might find offence then the world becomes a bland place where everyone is just being false to each other.

I'm gonna generalise a little now (micro-aggression I suppose) but in a certain and specific tone of voice I said to an American (New Jersey guy) I knew in a bar "Ooh, nice hat mate" and he replied "Ah thanks" but the Australian guy in our group burst out laughing because he knew I was taking the piss and thought the hat looked silly.

It seems to me that we are evolving into a world where the nuances of human interaction are being sterilised by the psychology of impact to victims.
#ing first world problems in my opinion, I think we should support those fragile snowflakes who are easily offended, but if the intent is not unkind then society should not adapt to the lowest denominator of 'victimhood'.
It would be a bland and sad world full of folk who have no opportunity, support, encouragement, or need to ever try to increase their personal confidence.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am not a victim. I have the ability to research ingredients and read labels. I have a healing mechanism within my physical body which regenerates most wounds and heals most afflictions. I am self aware enough to make good decisions which will not permanently harm my temple body being. I take all of life's punches to the gut and chin and choose to learn how I may not repeat those same mistakes over and over again.

I refuse to be a victim.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join