It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could narcissism be good for humanity overall?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   
hmmm.. interesting thought.

I know some narcissistic people so full of themselves and thinking they are great that they also convince themselves and others that they are.

They may experience some sort of success though their 'product' can be lacking.

But even for those who 'got it', you prob need a bit of narcissism to pursue anything to begin with.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Narcissism (or a similar condition) may be the secret ingredient that pushes people to new heights, thus pushing humanity to new heights as well.

Nope, you mistake narcissism with something else.

Narcissism is about falling in love with yourself and falling in the lake trying to kiss your own reflection. Narcissism make people go to the gym to get nice pecs and abs, not inventing cool stuff.

Most geniuses are actually pretty insecure when it comes to themselves.

Narcissism is bad.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

You have the narcissism thing pushing people to new heights backwards. People who believe they are smart, for instance, are more likely to take on easier tasks as opposed to more challenging ones, so they don't risk looking dumb and failing, but also so they look smart (they would rather do easy things REALLY well). Narcissism works basically the same way, but with anything that would make them look bad. People who like themselves more equally than they like others equally are more likely to take on challenging tasks. The way Businesses are operating nowadays, I think some narcissism in their employees would do them some good.

I'll go down the list, ignoring the relationship aspects, which you already mentioned are terrible.

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance
Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power,brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people
Requires excessive admiration.
Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

I guess no one would commit suicide. The interpersonal exploitation isn't worth the lives of a few depressed teenagers in the long run.

<< 1   >>

join