It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updating thread titles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I have searched but couldn't find anything regarding this subject so apologies if it has been covered. Quite a few subjects/threads in the forums deal with ongoing situations. However, after the initial point of posting the OP only has a limited time to edit their post, including the title.

Is it possible to change the title of a post to reflect the changing story after this period has passed without bothering the mods or is that the way to go about it.

For instance I have a thread going on the MERS outbreak in S.Korea, this involves changing numbers in infected/deaths on a near daily basis. I am achieving the changes by messaging a mod (Blaine91555 you are a star) who then implements the changes as and when they log on.

This seems a bit inefficient and also takes ownership of the thread away from the OP. Just wanted to put my 2 cents forward. Another thing to consider is when members read a thread most of the time they read OP then jump to reply without reading all the posts. What if information turns up after edit period that is extremely relevant to thread i.e. links to live broadcasts, big changes in story or important additional details and OP can't be changed. Do you still have to request changes by Mods? Is there a set way this should be done?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: randomspecific

If you start an OP the people that respond become subscribers, if you want to add information to the thread just reply to your OP and those people that want to reply will. I f there is a substantial reason to start another OP then do so under a different title, if the MODS want to move it they will.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Just add a new post updating the thread. No need to constantly change the thread title.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

In this regard...I wish people would understand mis-using the "BREAKING"!...or..."JUST ANNOUNCED!"...even...."LIVE! WATCH NOW ON..."...etc...

This issue is some folks will be reading that 1 minute, 4 hours, the next day, month...and it won't be "BREAKING!" or LIVE! RIGHT NOW!" anymore....

Its a small thing...and I think folks just don't realize it when they make their titles...How many of us have clicked on a "JUST BREAKING!" without a quick glance at the post-time?

In reference to the op's original issue, I think this relates to a small degree.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Okay, not sure if I made myself clear. I am asking what is the most appropriate way to get access to your OP in order to either change title or add additional details.

I am clear on the process on posting and replying. I just think there should be a way to update ongoing threads to reflect changes in information. Reply's can often get lost if a thread is popular so it would be great if you could add an update to OP so that people that are new to thread can get all relevant info from OP that the thread creator wishes them to get.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

You could file an alert with staff....or contact a staff member you see online.

We can update title if it is necessary....and there have been times when OPs have been updated with links to posts buried in the thread.

new topics

top topics

join