It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Colecovision A System Ahead of Its Time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
m.youtube.com...

Amazing system!I grew up with the NES and never got a chance to play this but the games look amazing!

I find it interesting that they would make a computer addon called Adam as competition for Apple

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: OptimusPrimeOne

I had one
Only had two games for it though Donkey Kong and another I forget.
Swapped it for a bag of star wars figures in the end.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I had one
Only had two games for it though Donkey Kong and another I forget.
Swapped it for a bag of star wars figures in the end.

Sucks
Buying one now!

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I had an original Atari, and a Commodore 64. And I agree. The Colecovision was a quantum leap in home electronic gaming. I eventually moved on to the bigger names, like NES, SNES, etc. And there were many more innovations that showcased a future we either weren't ready for, or simply couldn't appreciate. Like the Power Glove, the NeoGeo console, the Virtuaboy. The Dreancast.
All of these showed us a potential that we never imagined we'd care about. My first PC had an 8mb HDD. And 16k of RAM. I couldn't possibly imagine a reason that I'd EVER NEED 8 MB OF STORAGE SPACE ON MY COMPUTER.
Now, I can't think of anything that exists that's even vaguely that small.
I think the reason that the visionaries behind Colecovision and the Power Glove (Smell The Glove!) were ultimately unsuccessful is because the imagination of the consumer public is very carefully grown and maintained by big commercial interests. Period.
Where would we be if those 0ast innovations has actually caught on?
edit on 21-6-2015 by pfishy because: That's not a parking lot, that's my child.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Just saw this post.Now you have done it. I will be going to yard sales , flea markets , auctions , etc. for an eternity trying to find a Colecovision and some games . Thanks for bringing back OLD memories best left forgotten. S&F for you

BTW just stopped playing Witcher 3 to check out ATS .
edit on 21-6-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Just saw this post.Now you have done it. I will be going to yard sales , flea markets , auctions , etc. for an eternity trying to find a Colecovision and some games . Thanks for bringing back OLD memories best left forgotten. S&F for you

Lol just go to ebay no stress might pay a bit more but worth it.
edit on 21-6-2015 by OptimusPrimeOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I had an Atari and commodore 64p too. Colecovision had better games at the start, but the commodore had games with more depth imo. What was up with the damn joysticks though? I remember hurting my fingers more than once with those lame things.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
I had an Atari and commodore 64p too.

I agree. I also had Intellivision and the games for my 64 were much better. One neat aspect was being able to go into the code and modifying them which you could not do on the cartridge-based consoles.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I agree. I also had Intellivision and the games for my 64 were much better. One neat aspect was being able to go into the code and modifying them which you could not do on the cartridge-based consoles.

Had everything at the time. VIC 20 , Commodore 64 and 128, Various AMIGAS (1000 , 2000 , and 1500) , Colecovision , Intellivision (first time playing Might and Magic) . Those were the days. Not much in the way of graphics so the developers had to spend A LOT of time on the storyline and gameplay. A lot different today as the "shiny" has taken over.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Had everything at the time. VIC 20 , Commodore 64 and 128, Various AMIGAS (1000 , 2000 , and 1500) , Colecovision , Intellivision (first time playing Might and Magic) . Those were the days. Not much in the way of graphics so the developers had to spend A LOT of time on the storyline and gameplay. A lot different today as the "shiny" has taken over.

Agreed the storylines were much better because imagination had to help create the storyline.Sadly todays games are all about graphics and death kill ratio.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Not much in the way of graphics so the developers had to spend A LOT of time on the storyline and gameplay. A lot different today as the "shiny" has taken over.

I would love to see some modern gamers play Zork.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Not much in the way of graphics so the developers had to spend A LOT of time on the storyline and gameplay. A lot different today as the "shiny" has taken over.

I would love to see some modern gamers play Zork.

Kill Troll
>With what ?
knife
>You dont have one of those
Hit Troll with fork
>Are you sure you want to do that ?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Haha you guys are the definition of true gamers, don't care about graphics and remember the good ol days of stories and not just shiny graphics...there was a post about how Nintendo was "failing" and if they don't do something soon they are gonna get taken out of the picture by Sony and Microsoft...and the statement that they made was the only way they'll compete anymore is they have a powerful machine that keeps up with x1 or p4 or it out performs them..it makes me sick give me a keyboard and a collector's edition of doom

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It is dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As to the Colecovision, back when I was around 10 or so I used to stop into Sears and play on their Demo Colecovision.
Never could talk my mom into getting me one, but the game I remember the most on it was B52 Bomber because when you started to play it, it would actually use a voice and say "B52 Bomber" which blew my mind back then because no other game could do that.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
It is dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

>Light Lantern.

top topics

join