It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raiders: Marine Corps resurrects name of legendary elite units

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Marine Corps is resurrecting the old Marine Raider battalions made famous in WW2

"RALEIGH, N.C. – The Army has the Green Berets, while the Navy is known for the SEALs. Now, an elite branch of the U.S. Marine Corps will officially be known as Raiders.

The Marines will rename several special operations units as Marine Raiders at a ceremony Friday, resurrecting a moniker made famous by World War II units that carried out risky amphibious and guerrilla operations. The exploits of the original Marine Raiders — who pioneered tactics used by present-day special forces — were captured in books and movies including "Gung Ho!" in 1943 and "Marine Raiders" in 1944."

Very interesting I never thought I would see the day.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Good.

The legacy of Carlson and Edson reborn. Should never have been done away with.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I wonder if all of Force Recon will be folded into the new units?Divisions will still need some kind of recon units.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I should think so. I can't imagine why you would have two separate groups that do basically the same thing...

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Are they changing names because Marine force recon does that job now ?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I don`t know how the structure will shake out but I believe they will be in a special command separate from the line divisions making it necessary for the Fleet Marine Force to have their own reconnaissance.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

There's two main differences between MARSOC/Raiders and Force Recon.

You can still join Recon as a new Marine. The Raiders don't like taking anybody that isn't at least a non-com already.

Recon is homogenous, the Raiders aren't. Recon is a tool for division commanders to have ready at hand for missions anywhere the division needs them. The Raiders belong to USSOCOM, and any mission for them has to be run through that command.

I don't think Recon is going anywhere, purely because the division commanders like being able to pick up a phone and say "go" instead of picking up the phone and saying "can I have?"

My Gramps was a Raider in the very early days of their existence. When I saw this article yesterday I about peed my pants. I think it's freaking amazing!

Thanks for posting OP

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When I was a little guy,I remember meeting a couple friends of my Dad that were Raiders.They did a lot of drinking and carousing.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So when you become a Raider, do you get a cute little beret or something chic to wear?
edit on 21-6-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Le Chic

new topics

top topics

join