It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Toting Shotgun Opens Fire on Block Party, at Least 7, Including 18-Month-Old, Hurt

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: luthier

America leads the developed world with people killed by firearms with 29.7 per million

Just curious.

Is that per capita or total count?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
RE: killed by firearm.

As always it depends on who's doing the report and what they want it to say.

I suggest reading this site: crimepreventionresearchcenter.org...

The Small Arms Survey claims that the United States has by far the highest level of gun ownership, with 88.8 guns per 100 people. Both Israel and Switzerland probably have much higher gun ownership rates, but including them the way the Small Arms Survey does biases the results to The US gun ownership is so high compared to other countries that it drives any regression results.

There are also other problems with the survey. For example, a much better measure of gun ownership would be the percentage of the population owning guns, and not the number of guns per 100 people as used by the Small Arms Survey. Presumably the issue is whether people have access to guns, not the number of guns greater than one that an individual has access to.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pollypeptide

Ecole Polytechnique. According to your logic, your entire nation deserves to die. You might just be as sick as the shooter bud. Think about that for a moment.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: luthier
Here is a map of homicide rates by the un. The US is on par with a lot African countries, Russia, etc. North Africa has less homicides than the Us. You should also lool at the homicide rates in the middle east prior to the two US wars. Its startling.

www.theguardian.com...

Actually no. I remember seeing this map before.If you click on the countries themselves you get the rate. The US is 5 which should be green but of course that was the purpose of such a wide and uneven scale. A great example of a biased report to get the outcome desired.

Uh no. Go ahead and use any source. We still have the same rate as countries like laos, niger, etc. You can try and skew it however you want. I can post the actual numbers. Us is a 5. Who else is? Canada? England? Spain? Why dont you click on any country in our economic range. Hell click on Iran.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

America leads the developed world with people killed by firearms with 29.7 per million

Just curious.

I dont think it matters how people were murdered does it?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Just curious.

When it fits a specific discussion it does.
edit on 21-6-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'd prefer to see some hard stats before jumping on the sky is falling bandwagon. Most of the stats I've seen show violence in general has drastically decreased in the last 25 years. Perhaps homicide is up at the same time? What's certain is that the media won't let something like this go unnoticed. They'll milk it for all it's $$$

Suspicion confirmed. Sky is still above my head and stable.

www.cdc.gov...

My God another suspicion is confirmed. The US is not super-evil on the brink of collapse out of control ZOMGwad get yer guns and go, go, go!!

upload.wikimedia.org...
International intentional homicide rate
edit on 21-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
When do the riots and protests start?

When is Obama making his televised speech?

When is Holder arriving to conduct his federal investigation?

When is CNN starting their week long coverage from the streets of Philadelphia?
edit on 21-6-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Dude,
You should repeat this everyday.
Make a thread, repeating this....every, single, day.
Other than the documentary you mention, which I know nothing about...maybe check it out for myself at a later time....I hear you...even though you typed it.
I want to admit...although I'm being a little sarcastic about the repeating over and over, which is a total jab at who ever is responsible for deleting our comments...I do mean it.
Jab #2. My comment here is obviously ON TOPIC. So move along please. No rules broken here. Unless of course you make them up as you go along.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich
Anybody think someone will push taking our automobiles away as well because of that incident?
It can be used as a lethal weapon right?
We have to register those things, have a license to operate those things.
My God! NOW I'm scared. I love my internal combustion motor transportation!.....ALMOST as much as my weaponry might I add!
-Just to make sure I'm ON TOPIC....
I double checked that you had something about automobiles in your comment.....and yep, you did....and yours wasn't deleted.....so I reckon I'm good.
Unless of course again....the people who run this site ain't makin rules up as they go along.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Fiberx
Ha...you said "might".
Is that being polite and/or politically correct?
Good point by the way.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Just curious.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pollypeptide

You deplore the violence occurring within one nation, so your solution is to call upon other nations to do a mass kill-off of millions
of mostly innocent people--or at least no less innocent than anyone else. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. If you truly believe what you wrote, then you are worse than any of these mass shooters in the news.

edit on 21-6-2015 by timequake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreBeer

There won't be any because it was black on black crime. It would be racist and stereotypical to report.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

America leads the developed world with people killed by firearms with 29.7 per million no other nation in the western world comes close Canada has 5.1,Australia 1.4,this doesn't matter though because of 4 cities that apparently skew the statistics or because somebody in Upper Mongolia killed somebody with a yak jaw bone...yes there are places like Mexico and El Salvador where more people get killed by firearms and these places will be mentioned in defense of the indefensible...it is a waste of time to discuss any solutions or reforms Whitman killed over a dozen people back in 1966 and Columbine and plenty of other mass shootings have happened since nothing has happened in 49 years and nothing will happen in the next 49 either if you live in the US you just have to accept that to maintain the second amendment costs about 10,000 lives a year on average.

10,000 wow where is that from?

Did the gun control measures in the uk change their homicide rate? Nope. Now people get killed with k ives and baseball bats more than almost anywhere. Its not guns. Its us.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

BLACK lives matter?
MEH.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

America leads the developed world with people killed by firearms with 29.7 per million no other nation in the western world comes close Canada has 5.1,Australia 1.4,this doesn't matter though because of 4 cities that apparently skew the statistics or because somebody in Upper Mongolia killed somebody with a yak jaw bone...yes there are places like Mexico and El Salvador where more people get killed by firearms and these places will be mentioned in defense of the indefensible...it is a waste of time to discuss any solutions or reforms Whitman killed over a dozen people back in 1966 and Columbine and plenty of other mass shootings have happened since nothing has happened in 49 years and nothing will happen in the next 49 either if you live in the US you just have to accept that to maintain the second amendment costs about 10,000 lives a year on average.

Why do people obsess over gun deaths over other types of homicide. When one compares the actual murder rates of all nations, the U.S. is not too far off from the rest of "civilized" world despite the off-the-scale number of firearms in the country.
edit on 21-6-2015 by timequake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Thats from FBI figures about 32000 each year die from guns in the US 60 per cent are suicides 3 percent are accidents and the rest about 11000 are homicides 75 per cent of which are with hand guns per million, if by us you mean Americans yes I am 21 times more likely to be shot in your country than mine,yes people still get murdered here but we have not had a mass shooting here since 1998 when semi-autos and autos were made a lot more difficult to obtain and impossible to obtain if you are mentally ill or a criminal

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Did the gun control measures in the uk change their homicide rate? Nope. Now people get killed with k ives and baseball bats more than almost anywhere. Its not guns. Its us.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join