It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RATS access

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
TrickMaster,
I have communicated recently with a MOD about my "questioning" both ATS and MODS. They indicated they and other MODs being both bewildered and bemused at the questioning.

FIRST....ATS is probably one of the GREATEST sites on the internet for discussions of all types. No other community has captured so much of my time and energies. That is the part of the reason why i have tried to challenge both ATS admin and MODs to "do better" so to speak....perhaps my zeal to "deny ignorance" does get the best of me on occasion, but it is only because i support this ideology as well as the ATS community.

I agree that both in my profession as a broadcaster and MODding on this site that MANY "behind the scenes" things go on, decisions made, and things not available to the community in general occur.
However, perception can become reality as well.

Your explanation of the renewing RATS system was welcome and provides us with a better understanding of the why, as well as defining RATS itself.
My only remaining question (I can hear the moans...
) is ASIDE from the techie reasons this was done,
You say,

The whole idea behind a points access, IMO, is to ensure the posting quality and integrity of the Member.
...the question then is, once a poster has shown general quality and integrity of posts, why would they they then need to re-establish this integrity and quality assement of their postings over and over again?

Now as to my GENERAL assment of the "free speech issue" here.
I see many threads on voter rights, gay rights, issues of soverengty (attacking iraq leads this issue), and other human rights issues...

Yet when its pointed out how "speech rights" are not seemingly important for a site dedicated to denial of ignorance, im left scratching my head.
YES, i get it, "we own it, we make the rules", as well as the need for decorum in productive speech communications.
BUT
By recognising that there is NO true outlet for open and free speech, including devisive, hateful, or disruptive styles of it...we deny ignorance...we shatter the illusion that this "right" really exists for anyone.

By continuing to tighten the speech screws here, are we not also contributing to ignorance (yet enhancing decorum) by denying either...stupid people to say stupid things, and/or denying others the right to call things like they see it?

Clearly threats are not tolorable, nor would they be on the streets.

Personal attacks are petty and should be refrained from only because it makes the person making one, look just as ignorant as the person he is attacking. Yet this denies ignorance as both will be seen for what they are, not some sanitized PC version of their thoughts.

However, if your POST is getting verbally abused, especially by many people, dont you think this would discredit the ideas? At least give an indication of the general communities "values".
Saying your ideas are stupid is not the same as saying YOU are stupid.

Also ANY public figure, symbol, or political group is certantly open for about any type of "name-calling" Like calling Bush a Nazi....this behaivior as i understand it would now be innapropriate. example...general lee was a scumbag traitor....this too violates rules, yet this is an honest communication, right or wrong.

The banning or censoring of any member for expressions of this nature seems VERY arbitrary, and runs COUNTER to gennerally accepted broadcast standards that say Rush Limbaugh has to legally adhere to....
meaning there is MORE restrictive speech here than (at least in the USA) could be broadcast on public airwaves....
yet only i see "oppression" or "intelectual elietism" with this?

Just look at the excellent quote that Shoktec (a recent poster to this thread) has as his signiture.

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear" -Truman
One only needs to replace "government" with "ATS" to get my point. (replace "country" with "community" as well)
Hmmm first creation of the mud pit, then restrictions to it, "segregation" of political speech to a new board (which is better than i thought) now "member integrity"renewment of RATS privilages...one could extrapolate this trend to fit the above statment.

I agree that it does NOT appear that MODs are singling people out for the ban hammer based on personal grievance (tho this wouldnt be obvious to members left speculating)but as defining EVERY incidence of where speech COULD be consrtued in a manner not in line with the rules, would be impossible....then one can say that the rules seem very arbitrary themselves, (not just the MODs)
Now combine this "non unifoirm" definition to several unequally "trained" indivuals acting as community MODs, and it further opens the door for POTENTIAL abuse. (HEY THIS IS A CONSPIRACY SITE RIGHT?) And this "abuse" would be hard to see/detect...now thats even more insidious a plan....

The speech genie is loose and will never let you put it back into the bottle.

TrickMaster offers me the same ive offered social non-conformist,

If it bothers you this much, you know where the door is. It will always be open, even if you do leave.
Once again not a very PC attitude, but one which i support.

Here is a side bar relation question...
IF the ATS community can "discriminate" based on speech, basically setting its "cultural identity" and this is deemed OK by most.
then
why is it wrong for a community to define marriage between a man/woman as a "cultural identity" for itself?

One issue a speech right (at least in the USA)
the other a question of rights, but not recognized officially as one.
criteria based "discrimination", yet on speech...the issue is quickly brushed off as nothing.

Once again, i raise these points NOT to bash the greatest forum on the net, but to open up new ideas of human rights issues in the new century, where ALL outlets for "mass media communications" are "controled" by someone.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ALL!

<< 1   >>

join