It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Confederate flag should be taken down and burned.

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's a POV thing, I see that flag on vehicles of people that are not white, and it means they will fight TPTB. To them it has nothing to do with slavery if it did they would never put it on their vehicles.

Also did the average white American that was low to middle class in the mid 1800's own slaves, or was it like todays 1% that own all the wealth. If you were a poor hillbilly from the South that never owned a slave, your family never owned a slave, and you would never own a slave in the future, can you really say this person was fighting to own slaves ?
edit on 22-6-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So does this mean that I will not be able to watch reruns of the old classic Dukes of Hazzard? I mean Bo & Luke's car the General Lee, had a Confederate Flag painted on the top of it, and on the front license plate.

I remember my black neighbor friend would spend the night, and we would watch that and then Bill Bixby classic Incredible Hulk right afterwards.

The flag never bothered my friend, and he even had the General Lee toy car just like me, which had the flag on the top as well.

Course I did notice that the new Dukes movie years ago with Johnny Knoxville, it didn't have the flag on top of the General Lee, not even on the license plate if I remember correctly.

What we got today, is just a bunch of self entitled, whiny crybabies. Always crying about something. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: yuppa

i won't deny that racism doesn't/didn't exist pre or post civil war in the north but lets not kid ourselves it was not as prevalent or violent as in the south, that being said 2 wrongs don't make a right and we shouldn't be arguing semantics. i am sorry for over reacting, bottom line is my opinion is the people of south carolina should vote on banning the flag at government buildings.

True. On this i can agree. Move the flag to a proper place such as a non State house museum where it can fly in the proper context. But also the last time it was voted on the people decided to keep it but move it from the dome.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I do not understand sell out and toms, they fought to keep blacks slaves, some of whom owned slaves maybe you can show them some love but I sure as hell won't this man deserved more respect that those above I see them as no different than the FOX news Blacks and political hacks of today, and I am not talking about black pols and social commentators who criticize social ills in the African American communities but those who are hard at work being paid mouthpieces of racist that used them as cover

This man and his sons should to be held in high honor by the descendants of Slaves in the U.S if by no one else, they put up where others shut up, they said that system was wrong and were willing to go against the grain with guns ablazing if needs be, although if they wanted to they could have just benefited from the wrong, one of the first people they shot was a Tom running off to compromise their rebellion.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

i won't deny that racism doesn't/didn't exist pre or post civil war in the north but lets not kid ourselves it was not as prevalent or violent as in the south, that being said 2 wrongs don't make a right and we shouldn't be arguing semantics. i am sorry for over reacting, bottom line is my opinion is the people of south carolina should vote on banning the flag at government buildings.

True. On this i can agree. Move the flag to a proper place such as a non State house museum where it can fly in the proper context. But also the last time it was voted on the people decided to keep it but move it from the dome.

You're right, it no longer flies atop of the capitol building. Amazing how many people I'm seeing on here and other places that seem to think it still does.

It was removed back in 2000 after the South Carolina Heritage Act was passed. It was removed and placed here:

Only the US and SC State flag fly at the top of the dome. The Confederate Battle Flag is flying on a pole at the Confederate Solder War Memorial.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

Oh hey, someone with the ACTUAL Confederate Flag instead of the popularly believed one that isn't.

That rectangular one that so many fly in the name of the south? It's actually just a Tennessee Army battle flag.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
So does this mean that I will not be able to watch reruns of the old classic Dukes of Hazzard? I mean Bo & Luke's car the General Lee, had a Confederate Flag painted on the top of it, and on the front license plate.

I remember my black neighbor friend would spend the night, and we would watch that and then Bill Bixby classic Incredible Hulk right afterwards.

The flag never bothered my friend, and he even had the General Lee toy car just like me, which had the flag on the top as well.

Course I did notice that the new Dukes movie years ago with Johnny Knoxville, it didn't have the flag on top of the General Lee, not even on the license plate if I remember correctly.

What we got today, is just a bunch of self entitled, whiny crybabies. Always crying about something. ~$heopleNation

Uh, I think you were watching Dukes of Hazard wrong. It was making fun of Southerners, quite a lot.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Same old lies and bull crap from the left. LIE and call a flag racist when in reality, they want it gone because it speaks against what they want...the end of STATES RIGHTS because they want the federal government to rule over everyone like a group of kings.

Go read the corner stone speech made by the VP of the Confederate States. In it he directly says the reason why the Confederacy was formed is because the North wanted to make the blacks equal to the whites and the southerners didn't think that blacks should be equal to the whites. So the only state rights the south was worried about losing was the right to own slaves. Except for the part about slaves the south was basically adopting the same Constitution the north was using so the "it was for states rights" argument is nothing but BS.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: snarky412

I do not understand sell out and toms, they fought to keep blacks slaves, some of whom owned slaves maybe you can show them some love but I sure as hell won't this man deserved more respect that those above I see them as no different than the FOX news Blacks and political hacks of today, and I am not talking about black pols and social commentators who criticize social ills in the African American communities but those who are hard at work being paid mouthpieces of racist that used them as cover

This man and his sons should to be held in high honor by the descendants of Slaves in the U.S if by no one else, they put up where others shut up, they said that system was wrong and were willing to go against the grain with guns ablazing if needs be, although if they wanted to they could have just benefited from the wrong, one of the first people they shot was a Tom running off to compromise their rebellion.

Good points and I agree, however people will grasp at anything to try and keep the old status quo.
The south fought for slavery not against it, blacks who the Confederate flag and put on KKK robes are insulting thier freedom period.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Where does it state that the FLAG means RACISM or SLAVERY though?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

It is the chosen flag of the KKK. It flies at their meetings and protests, real current proof of what the flag stands for.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

It is the chosen flag of the KKK. It flies at their meetings and protests, real current proof of what the flag stands for.

Agreed we all know it however many choose to ignore the facts when it comes to what the flag represents.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

They also fly the US Flag.

Care to comment on that?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

They also fly the US Flag.

Care to comment on that?

The point is they are racists and the Confederate flag represents racism to most, but not all people, as do KKK robes represent racism to most, but not all people.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

No, the point made was that a hate group took a flag that was not created by them, and adopted it as their flag, and that because of that, that flag MUST represent what they represent.

By that logic: the same would have to be said of the US Flag, as they also have used it in the past.

People do not want to see that. They want to concentrate on something that they think it should represent, because that is how they have seen it used after the Civil War.

One could say the same thing about white bed sheets if they wanted too.

Or crosses.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

John Brown may be the greatest American in history a real hero who died as a white man to save black people.

This brave man was a true martyr and Americans of all stripes should know of his sacrifice but they don’t because he fought and died fighting the evils of this countries slave system AS A WHITE MAN

They don't ever want to popularize that

To die for your own kind as a hero is one thing but to die for the rights of others is in the true spirit of Christ

This man was a true Christian and fighter for freedom that the Alex Jones types should be praising to high heaven

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

No, the point made was that a hate group took a flag that was not created by them, and adopted it as their flag, and that because of that, that flag MUST represent what they represent.

By that logic: the same would have to be said of the US Flag, as they also have used it in the past.

People do not want to see that. They want to concentrate on something that they think it should represent, because that is how they have seen it used after the Civil War.

One could say the same thing about white bed sheets if they wanted too.

Or crosses.

Hey the swastika went through the same thing in WW2, it was originally a buddhist symbol, that doesnt make it ok to go around waving swastika flags. The meaning has changed to the world.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

This whole argument is yet another example of people who don't understand the culture of another but they want to dictate what's acceptable within that culture.

Are we talking about only one culture? One flag - two points of view

If we're actually going to do something about racism - where should we start?

This isn't about the flag - it's about a gesture that's been withheld. At some point people are going to have to decide what's more important - flying that flag or the gesture

It's not just the South - it is the whole country. But these murders just happened and that flag is right there

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
There have been some really fantastic points made on both sides of the debate in this thread. Just wanted to say thanks, you all have really made me reflect on this.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Then protest the KKK, they chose the symbol, not the other way around. I believe all prejudices are wrong, period. To hate someone for their looks, beliefs, etc. is wrong. But if someone chooses a symbol for their hatred, how can the chosen symbol be at fault. It is an inanimate object with no meaning by itself. People perceive it to have meaning, but by itself there is no meaning. And by this same train of thought, the meaning you get from a symbol may not be the same that someone else would get. It is all about perception, what you perceive to be true is true... for you, but not necessarily for everyone else.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join