It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Confederate flag should be taken down and burned.

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
Next it will be the American flag because of everything that has occurred under it. Slowly but surely they want to erase all of our history, and then rewrite it as they see fit. ~$heopleNation

There is a big difference between the confederate flag and the Stars and stripes.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Didn't you post this exact BS in another thread?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

What is the big difference that would set them apart in this context?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
There is a big difference between the confederate flag and the Stars and stripes.

Not really when you look at it from the progressive point of view my friend. Next it will be that we need a new U.S flag because of the past subjugation and slaughter of the Native Americans.

You give them an inch, they take a mile, they will never be satisfied. Most of these people who are easily herded into this race baiting mob mentality are irrational to begin with.

At the end of the day, their madness has no end. It's wrong is right, and right is wrong. It's bad is good, and good is bad. It's actually a mental illness in a lot of cases. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: HotMale

What is the big difference that would set them apart in this context?

The Stars and Stripes is actually our national flag. The flag of our country. It's on our service men's uniforms...everywhere.

The confederate flag is a symbol of slavery, of a failed effort to dissolve our country etc. It's just not a good symbol. I would never wear or have it in my house.

It was always about slavery. I'm not one of those progressives that there is never enough but...in this case enough. We lose nothing, as a country or a society, if we let this symbol go...go to the museums and history books and civil war reenactments etc. That's where it belongs.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The Stars and Bars are the battle flag of the Confederate States of America. FACT

Article IV Section 3(3)
The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several states; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form states to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory, the institution of negro slavery as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress, and by the territorial government: and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories, shall have the right to take to such territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the states or territories of the Confederate states. FACT

Bold by me..... seems to me that the Confederate battle flag and the enslavement of negros seems to go hand in hand.

You can argue the point all you want, but the flag is definitely a symbol of oppression for a great many people and has no place in the modern day at state functions or on state property.

edit on R162015-06-22T18:16:42-05:00k166Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R182015-06-22T18:18:19-05:00k186Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Do you know how many people were murdered in the name of the Stars and Stripes?

And think about this for a minute. How does getting rid of a flag change anything. Why do you even think that the flag is the issue here?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Sometimes, when I have a spare moment, I like to imagine what a world without flags would be like.

Would people get really lost and confused and not know...things? Not know who to hate or fight and not know where to gather or what to think or what language to speak?

Pretty much why they were invented was for war. Who needs 'em.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Just saw where Walmart is removing all items with the Confederate flag on it from their stores.

Looks like the ball is rolling and picking up steam.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

The confederate flag is a symbol of slavery

YOU are INCORRECT, the Confederate Battle Flag does NOT represent slavery. It was a battle flag the Confederate troops rallied around.
Show me where you got your ignorant information from please.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: muse7
It does not represent "Southern Heritage".

It represents tyranny, it represents one of the darkest times this country has gone through in it's entire history. It represents a Government that went to war to keep people enslaved in the cotton fields, to prevent them from being treated like actual human beings instead of like livestock. That tolerated and encouraged lynchings and public hangings.

It represents an ideology that revolves around hate.

The truth is that South Carolina's Confederate flag was only raised above the statehouse in 1962—to show defiance to the powerful civil rights movement, to proclaim white superiority. And it is still there for that reason.

I have to ask... So, a Confederate flag is bad, I expect an old South African flag is bad, however, is owning and flying an Israeli flag ok? I am just testing the water to see how many hypocrites are in for swim ;-)

Cheers - Dave

All flags are bad. All flags represent ownership of some sort.

I asked the question sort of rhetorically because Israel is also an apartheid state. But you are right, flags generally denote some form of ownership.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: HotMale

Do you know how many people were murdered in the name of the Stars and Stripes?

And think about this for a minute. How does getting rid of a flag change anything. Why do you even think that the flag is the issue here?

I'm aware of our countries past, but we're not indicting a country here...we're just talking about one symbol.

Furthermore. We're not talking about outlawing it or anything like that, just not flying it over state capitals. That's what I"M talking about. A symbol of slavery? Why not relegate it to the museums?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I've posted before, but even though states rights were at the forefront, the civil war still revolved around slaves and slavery.

Again, another ignorant comment. The Civil War was about the north's exploitation of the south. The South was doing all the production and the North was taking all the profits, yet not giving the South proper compensation or representation.
Before you call me an 'ignorant southern hillbilly', I was born and raised in New York, just outside NYC, but I dont let my ignorance run my mouth.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC

The confederate flag is a symbol of slavery

YOU are INCORRECT, the Confederate Battle Flag does NOT represent slavery. It was a battle flag the Confederate troops rallied around.
Show me where you got your ignorant information from please.

Ignorant information? LOL

It is a symbol of the confederacy. The confederacy and the civil war was a war about slavery. Should we be able to keep another human being, whom we feel superior to as slaves? States rights were just a minor role in the starting of the civil war. it was and was always about slavery.

That's not ignorant information. That's truth right there my friend. Deny ignorance and use google.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC

I've posted before, but even though states rights were at the forefront, the civil war still revolved around slaves and slavery.

Again, another ignorant comment. The Civil War was about the north's exploitation of the south. The South was doing all the production and the North was taking all the profits, yet not giving the South proper compensation or representation.
Before you call me an 'ignorant southern hillbilly', I was born and raised in New York, just outside NYC, but I dont let my ignorance run my mouth.

My friend, I enjoy a good argument on ATS as much as anyone, but the civil war was about slavery. Research it ans you'll see. It was way more than the north's exploitation of the south. I don't think you are ignorant, I just think you are ignoring some key points. I'll cede you that the norths' treatment of the south in certain areas and ways did play a part. But only a much smaller part than slavery.
edit on 22-6-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Some in the North didn't have clean hands. Freed slaves meant competition for jobs in the North.

New York City draft riots of 1863

en.wikipedia.org...

The Emancipation Proclamation of January 1863 alarmed much of the working class in New York, who feared that freed slaves would migrate to the city and add further competition to the labor market. There had already been tensions between black and white workers since the 1850s, particularly at the docks. In March 1863, white longshoremen had refused to work with blacks and rioted, attacking 200 black men. In this area of the city, there were a variety of interracial venues of brothels and bars, and neighborhoods were mixed in terms of residents. Men competed as hacks (carriage drivers), craftsmen, and in other jobs
The exact death toll during the New York Draft Riots is unknown, but according to historian James M. McPherson (2001), at least 120 people were killed. In all, eleven black men were lynched over five days. The riots forced hundreds of blacks to flee the city. Violence by longshoremen against black men was especially fierce in the docks area

Corporations, plantations...people have always been taken advantage of.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

It may represent tyranny or hatred in the eyes of many, to others it means pride in your white heritage etc. however removing this flag, or burning it will not change a thing. It is a symbol that would just be replaced by another symbol. The idea....is harder to crush. I myself, don't care either way...flag or no flag...it doesn't matter. I judge every man for their actions...not what team they pull for. It just seems like a waste of effort to attack a flag, when it's the person waving it that hates you. Kind of like the government attacking guns...when the person that pulled the trigger was the idiot.....could've used a car and taken out a whole crowd of people...shall we burn or ban cars too?
edit on 22-6-2015 by Illuminatitechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Then perhaps I misunderstood you, and for that I am truly sorry.
Still tho', I merely pointed out that national flags are symbols of their respective country (not their governments), and that the Confederate flag didn't have that "status".
I know I'm an outsider looking in, and YES - there are holes in my knowledge of US history, I'm just voicing my opinion on how I see things.
In my first post I said I thought it was disrespectful to fly the Confederate flag and not the Stars and Stripes, just as I find it disrespectful (being PC in my choice of words here) when I see extremists on both the left and right "hide" behind the nation flag. To me a national flag is "untouchable", not to be held accountable for actions by some "evil doers". But just to be clear, I have never called for the banning or burning of the Confederate flag. In my personal humble opinion, "you" (the people) can fly whatever flag you want, just be sure the Stars and Stripes flies above it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I have a hard time associating the confederate flag with Nazis. There are many blatant forms of racism in this country. I fail to see how removing this piece of cloth will change anything. Imagine standing there watching them take it down. When its gone, what has changed? People are still the same, except now the ones who liked that flag are angrier than before. If the goal is to change the way people think you have to avoid the attachments and focus on the hearts and minds of the individuals. If the efforts are always directed at inanimate objects real change will never be realized.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join