It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Confederate flag should be taken down and burned.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: Answer

I think that's a fair point.

It's more convenient to pretend that racism is all locked up neatly in the dirty South as opposed to existing behind gated communities or in board rooms or in crappy, dilapidated public schools or trapped in ghettos on the wrong side of the tracks in every town across the U.S.

And in 'Oh, so politically correct' Canada as well. We have the same crap just under the surface of 'polite society too', only our racism is focussed squarely on the First Nations and officially carried on today through the Indian Act. The Residential School system is quite clear in the memories of people just entering middle age and then there was also the Sixties Scoop, where kids were placed with WASP families.

So, America, you're not alone.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
a reply to: yuppa

Eventually With the advent of tech Slavery in feild work would had naturally died out because you dont have to feed a machine. SO no eventually money versus investment would had ended slavery. Still Segregation would had been left though.

Yeah, good thing technology has made it so we don't need any workers in the fields anymore...so I guess all the people crying about migrant workers taking American's jobs are just all crazy...right?

They are prolly talking about construction,yardwork and other jobs. Not many complaining about field work.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

No, no we're not.

Forgive my ignorance, but Indian Act? Bears a resemblance to Jim Crow, I'm guessing?

Residential Schools... Yeah. Those I'm familiar with. We did those sorts of things, too.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: muse7

You missed my point. Slavery was one of the issues but it mostly concerned the elite . Loyalties to state far outweighed the federal government at that point in our history. People rebelled against federal encroachment upon their rights during the Civil War the sole issue was not slavery .

Look what Lincoln did after the Civil War and it will let you know they were right and more in line with the Constitution .

I've posted before, but even though states rights were at the forefront, the civil war still revolved around slaves and slavery. Think about why the north needed higher taxes...because the south had free slave labor. And that's just one issue. it always revolved around slavery.

Although we should never forget out past, and the confederate flag should be shown in museums and you should be allowed to buy it and fly it wherever you want...still it represents slavery to a large portion of American and should not be flown over states capitals and on official documents.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yes... there were Residential Schools in America too. I've read a bit about them but not too sure how many were run by religious orders in comparison to Canada, where it was predominant.

As to how Jim Crow relates to the Indian Act, I hope the former is no longer active like the Indian Act is today.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: muse7
It does not represent "Southern Heritage".

It represents tyranny, it represents one of the darkest times this country has gone through in it's entire history. It represents a Government that went to war to keep people enslaved in the cotton fields, to prevent them from being treated like actual human beings instead of like livestock. That tolerated and encouraged lynchings and public hangings.

It represents an ideology that revolves around hate.

The truth is that South Carolina's Confederate flag was only raised above the statehouse in 1962—to show defiance to the powerful civil rights movement, to proclaim white superiority. And it is still there for that reason.

I have to ask... So, a Confederate flag is bad, I expect an old South African flag is bad, however, is owning and flying an Israeli flag ok? I am just testing the water to see how many hypocrites are in for swim ;-)

Cheers - Dave

All flags are bad. All flags represent ownership of some sort.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

I believe they were most religious in nature. Jesuits and the like...but I could be wrong.

I had no idea they were still actively enforced...

Jim Crow, at least "officially" is not. Unofficially, however, is another matter, depending on the locale and the people in charge.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

i won't deny that racism doesn't/didn't exist pre or post civil war in the north but lets not kid ourselves it was not as prevalent or violent as in the south, that being said 2 wrongs don't make a right and we shouldn't be arguing semantics. i am sorry for over reacting, bottom line is my opinion is the people of south carolina should vote on banning the flag at government buildings.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: Greathouse

You missed my point. Slavery was one of the issues but it mostly concerned the elite . Loyalties to state far outweighed the federal government at that point in our history. People rebelled against federal encroachment upon their rights during the Civil War the sole issue was not slavery .

Look what Lincoln did after the Civil War and it will let you know they were right and more in line with the Constitution .

I've posted before, but even though states rights were at the forefront, the civil war still revolved around slaves and slavery. Think about why the north needed higher taxes...because the south had free slave labor. And that's just one issue. it always revolved around slavery.

Although we should never forget out past, and the confederate flag should be shown in museums and you should be allowed to buy it and fly it wherever you want...still it represents slavery to a large portion of American and should not be flown over states capitals and on official documents.

I will grant it should not be flown over state capitals but do you realize versions of it are flown over six other state capitals ?

But it has become muddied by the one-sided view on it. It's okay to hate slavery but that is not the meaning of the flag to everyone .

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Don't you just love the first amendment?

People can hang, fly, burn, trample, with their backside with any flag they choose.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: Answer

I think that's a fair point.

It's more convenient to pretend that racism is all locked up neatly in the dirty South as opposed to existing behind gated communities or in board rooms or in crappy, dilapidated public schools or trapped in ghettos on the wrong side of the tracks in every town across the U.S.

And in 'Oh, so politically correct' Canada as well. We have the same crap just under the surface of 'polite society too', only our racism is focussed squarely on the First Nations and officially carried on today through the Indian Act. The Residential School system is quite clear in the memories of people just entering middle age and then there was also the Sixties Scoop, where kids were placed with WASP families.

So, America, you're not alone.

Racism is prevalent in every country in the world, in every culture against others.

The problem is, people want to point a finger and say "Look at those racists over there! I'm not one of them!" to hopefully convince everyone that they're a decent person who never has racist thoughts.

People focus on "white vs black" but every single race, nationality, and religion is guilty of prejudice toward anyone who's different.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Racism is prevalent in every country in the world, in every culture against others.

The problem is, people want to point a finger and say "Look at those racists over there! I'm not one of them!" to hopefully convince everyone that they're a decent person who never has racist thoughts.

People focus on "white vs black" but every single race, nationality, and religion is guilty of prejudice toward anyone who's different.

Having lived in and traveled to various places in the world, I will say this is the most accurate statement thus far. I'll go even further and take the word "race" out of it, exchanging it with "group". Gender, racial, religious, cultural...the world is filled with a myriad of intertwining groups which have various levels of love, tolerance, affinity and hate (etc) for one another.
edit on 22-6-2015 by RoyBatty because: grammar

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

V: ...A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up a building can change the world.
- V for Vendetta

Maybe it's just me, but I'm feeling the ole Stars and Stripes is pretty tainted too right now, maybe we should see about getting it removed...replacing it with something more hopeful. Something with cats on it!

If nothing else the Interntz has proven everyone love stuff with cats on it.

Anyway, the point of my post is in my quote - anything can become a symbol. It only has power over you if you let it.

I remember when sticks and stones could break my bones but words could never hurt me...that seems totally forgotten now too.

Whew how things have changed apparently though - and not for the better.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Next it will be the American flag because of everything that has occurred under it. Slowly but surely they want to erase all of our history, and then rewrite it as they see fit. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
New York City is so non racist that the majority of stop and frisk persons are black and other minorities.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Funny how people tend to forget that there were more whites slaves than black slaves, by a far margin.

But the Confederates only addressed Negros, they didn't mention the white slaves or "indentured servants".

Slavery does not care what color you are.

edit on R402015-06-22T16:40:17-05:00k406Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Same old lies and bull crap from the left. LIE and call a flag racist when in reality, they want it gone because it speaks against what they want...the end of STATES RIGHTS because they want the federal government to rule over everyone like a group of kings. Liberal politicians want nothing more than to govern everyone and ignore the states. It is a lot easier to control when you don't have to go through the states. Especially the ones who aren't left leaning.

Keep the flag...at ALL costs.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Same old lies and bull crap from the left. LIE and call a flag racist when in reality, they want it gone because it speaks against what they want...the end of STATES RIGHTS because they want the federal government to rule over everyone like a group of kings. Liberal politicians want nothing more than to govern everyone and ignore the states. It is a lot easier to control when you don't have to go through the states. Especially the ones who aren't left leaning.

Keep the flag...at ALL costs.

Wow, do you really believe that every person calling for the removal of the Confederate flag is doing so because they fear the states have too much power and need to be governed by the Federal government?

That's almost as crazy as people who believe that owning other people is ok.

Denial is a particularly bad tasting kool-aid to be swallowing.

"Keep the flag...at ALL costs".... because your local KKK rally just wouldn't be the same without it.

edit on R162015-06-22T17:16:06-05:00k166Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R192015-06-22T17:19:08-05:00k196Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
IMO if you ban the stars and bars lets ban the stars and stripes too. Why you ask? For the slaughter of the great plains tribes or should I say the Shermanization of indigenous peoples after the civil war.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yes, because the flag itself is the root of all evil. The flag is the source for racism.

Once it is burned everything will be peachy.

Wth are people thinking making this an issue about a flag?

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join