It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Confederate flag should be taken down and burned.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Quite the picture collection you have. Do you view it often.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: beezzer

Every time I rad post like this I just scratch my head, no wonder America is becoming what is today, rather than trying to learn from history lessons, new generations just want to erase them, no wonder people never learn and are bound to repeat the same mistakes, in another time in another history.

Lest create the new utopia where nothing bad ever happen and everybody just worship the history they want.

Agreed.

It's the "feel good" solutions we have today.

Just like the twitter campaign against ISIS or Boko Haram when he kidnapped the 200 girls.

It doesn't offer any real solutions to the problem, but for a little bit, everyone "feels" better.

It won't solve any racial issues in Ferguson, Baltimore or Charleston. But it makes people "feel" like they are doing something.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Last confederate flag I saw was flying over the grave of a black confederate soldier.
He had bought his freedom and taken up arms against the north knowing that if the south lost the war it would mean economic devastation.

Imagine trying to explain to the ATS crowd that Moses Levy was actually an African American Herzl leading warring tribesman to the promised land in chains.

UGH, couldn't be done

Actually I've seen it in both white and black yards in Mississippi. I reckon they didn't get the memo.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: muse7

Perhaps we should just "white out" every aspect of American history that was distasteful.

We could just have a clean and happy and PC and rated- G version of history.

That's what you are doing when you say that the Confederate flag represents "State's Rights" instead of slavery.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The 'Fight Against the Confederate Flag' is pure deflection just as much as blaming prescription drugs and insanity.

The problem is racism and that resides in the mind. Attack what's in the minds of racists instead of the symbols.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
The 'Fight Against the Confederate Flag' is pure deflection just as much as blaming prescription drugs and insanity.

The problem is racism and that resides in the mind. Attack what's in the minds of racists instead of the symbols.

I have had the same thought. Some other object will surface to replace it. If it were that easy it would have happened at this point.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

I don't really want to ban it, but I certainly won't call it anything other than what it is.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Yup.

It's all well and good to stuff symbols into tin cans and bury them in the back yard, but symbols come with 'attachments' that can't be buried. Those attachments are thoughts passed from parents to children... mindsets. What needs to happen is to break that chain.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Just like the symbolic flag of the Nazis, it's both reviled and raised with some semblance of pride around the world. You can't simply kill symbols because they're based in ideas. Ideas live on regardless.

If one doesn't understand that, just ask yourself if Fascism lingers.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: roadgravel

Yup.

It's all well and good to stuff symbols into tin cans and bury them in the back yard, but symbols come with 'attachments' that can't be buried. Those attachments are thoughts passed from parents to children... mindsets. What needs to happen is to break that chain.

And were are seeing those attachments with people on both sides of the issue. I think some are too afraid to give it up. It will not destroy the world, only a small apart of their world.
edit on 6/22/2015 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I just don't like denying history, no matter how ugly. Part of denying history is destroying the objects that define and help us understand it. The Confederate Flag represents one of the darkest times in American history and we need to accept that whether we like it or not.

That doesn't mean we should be flying it on a capitol building though... Of course I'm not really surprised that there is a discussion about this. There was a big to do in Charleston the last time they discussed taking the flag down.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The Confederate flag remains popular in the South. If it gets taken down from the Capitol buildings, will it change the popularity of that symbol? I doubt it.

As a Canadian, I couldn't care less about that flag. I don't fly it, nor would I ever put it on my bumper because I can't relate to it in any way.

Pull it down, leave it up... I don't care. What I care about are what it represents to the notion of racism, which I think is a terrible sickness not only in America but also in Canada and many other countries. That sickness is like a brain tumour and it kills.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Lest create the new utopia where nothing bad ever happen and everybody just worship the history they want.

Marg - is this really what you see? Not one person in this thread is calling for a ban on the symbol. In fact - quite the opposite - it should be remembered and put on display - in appropriate places

Do you see any good reason why it should still fly over state buildings?

Should we fly the Nazi flag over the Reichstag - you know - so we don't forget?

Should the Jews hang it over the Knesset - because otherwise they might not remember?

The confederate flag is not a neutral symbol. This isn't about creating a false utopia or preserving history - it's about a purposeful lack of respect

edit on 6/22/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The white supremacy ideal that's attached to this flag is abhorrent. Flying this flag or any other confederate era style flag symbolizes an era in our nation's history of racism and xenophobia.

"It's the same flag that flew on a white background and was often called "The Stainless Banner."

Source

Syracuse University historian Jonathan Wilson, who studies antebellum American literature, tracked down the meaning of the second Confederate flag as described by its designer, Thompson.

"The following is Thompson quoted in an excerpt from the book Our Flag by George Preble:"

In my opinion, the flag should not fly over any state capitol, especially Charleston.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The "Feel god" solutions is what the government has passed on to us and had made sure that we are happy with it, rather than fixing the problems of human egoistic way of thinking, just deface some monuments, burn some flags, throw some pennies to the destitute and poor, make people think that the government care and all be happy.

At the end the problems are still there, because is not the flags is not the monuments is not the about "putting a band aid" is about us humans beings, our egos feed the idea that we are all different, that some are better than others and with actions we cement that hierarchy, in the end, people doesn't understand that we are all the same and like many had said before me, We are all humans no different just we think that we are

Humanity will never get to fix his inequalities, prejudices, racism and the I'm better than you, mentality as long as those that rules and the religious leaders in the world practice the same thing or the same crap.

Is not the world is us, History is here for us to remember and learn, not to keep pushing the same garbage and committing the same mistakes.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I just don't think it is appropriate for the state capitol. I couldn't care less if an individual person or group wants to fly it. They have every right to show the world their intolerance.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

...is about us humans beings, our egos feed the idea that we are all different, that some are better than others and with actions we cement that hierarchy...

Yes - exactly

The flag has to go

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Is a flag, is a piece of material that has historical value, what made it "evil" is human intention, now do you understand were I am coming from, is not the flag that is the evil is the humans beings pursuing the evil.

A flag a piece of material I really don't care where it can be flying, because I made sure that It doesn't affect me. those that wants to be offended will always be offended not matter what, because that it seems to be their purpose in life.

What the flag has teach us all?

No a darn thing, because as you can see until today people are still using their egos to blame the flag for the human intent behind it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Should we erase Germany from the face of the earth from bringing up a leader that created the holocaust?

See my point, is senseless.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

...you can see until today people are still using their egos to blame the flag for the human intent behind it.

:-)

Yes - that would be it - in a nutshell

Are you Buddhist Marg? Ego-less living is hard to pull off. Your annoyance with other people's egos is still pure ego. But that's OK - we are all the same in this

We all deserve a show of respect, even when we can't manage actual respect. It greases the wheels of civilization

Those folks that claim to represent all of us? We have a right to expect them to pretend a little harder

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join