It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Lights In The Sky Over Greenwood, Indiana

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
It's a real phenomenon. You can read the explanation here:

apod.nasa.gov...

amasci.com...

edit on 21-6-2015 by ufoofinterest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoofinterest
It's a real phenomenon. You can read the explanation here:

apod.nasa.gov...

amasci.com...

Lmao

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoofinterest

too many 'maybes' and 'perhaps' in those links for them to be considered an explanation. more accurately, a hypothesis.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: redtic
Even more good info... Phil Plait to the rescue..

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

The answer lies in this: ice crystals, especially long needles, tend to become aligned with the ambient electric field.

So what you are seeing is sunlight reflecting off ice crystal faces that are constantly being oriented by the developing electric field just above the [cumulonimbus] top. Then there is a discharge in the cloud, and the field collapses momentarily, and the crystals begin to realign again. Then this just keeps happening over and over.

The video in the OP is even more drastic, but I think case closed, at least for me. Thanks for the mystery!

This makes sense.

As soon as I saw the second video, where you could see the point of emission, it looked like the clouds were acting as a fiber-optic conduit. Ice crystals would do the trick nicely. In all/both cases, the sun is right behind the cloud that is emitting.

Good find.

Really cool, but no UFO this time. I think the vid is legit though.
edit on 21-6-2015 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

originally posted by: Rezlooper
a reply to: eisegesis

I await the experts. should be interesting. If this is real then that would have been pretty intense to see. My reaction would have been the same exact response of the guy capturing the video. WTF!

Whenever I see videos like this, I always listen to the reaction of the viewer. I try to gauge what reaction I expect to see or hear and soon realize how unfair that is. People react differently to different situations. Some are left speechless, some start dropping the f-bomb and some react totally unexpectedly.

I think I've been on ATS long enough to know the proper protocol when situations like this present themselves. Get that camera out, keep it steady, get immediate surrounding footage of the landscape for reference and NEVER accompany the video with anything off of The Matrix soundtrack.

People do react differently, but I'm serious, I drop F bombs and that would have been exactly what I would have said if I saw a light like that.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

That is very interesting, though I don't know why someone would come to the conclusion that it is HAARP related.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Very interesting spectral reflectance.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Pauligirl

What that describes are called "sprites" which are a totally different phenomenon...

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
AWESOME!!!
We are on our way to becoming what Kaku calls a Type One Civilization that, among other things, can control the weather.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Found this:

apparently this phenomenon is called: 'CROWN FLASH, LEAPING SUNDOGS and DANCING SUNDOG

Explanation: What's happening above those clouds? In the past few years, videos have appeared on the web detailing an unusual but little known phenomenon: rapid light changes over clouds. Upon inspection and contemplation, a leading hypothesis for its cause has now emerged. In sum, this hypothesis holds that a lightning discharge in a thundercloud can temporarily change the electric field above the cloud where charged ice crystals were reflecting sunlight. The new electric field quickly re-orients the geometric crystals to a new orientation that reflects sunlight differently. In other words, a lightning discharge can cause a sundog to jump. Soon, the old electric field may be restored, causing the ice crystals to return to their original orientation. To help this curious phenomenon become better studied, sky enthusiasts with similar jumping or dancing sundog videos are encouraged to share them

above info Found Here

another good site explaining: amasci.com...

Years ago during museum exhibits work I was explaining rainbow optics ...and also explaining thunderstorm dynamics. I stumbled across a strange idea: shouldn't rainbows be visibly altered by the strong electrostatic fields in thunderstorms? E-fields should slightly distort falling raindrops. This would slightly alter the light distribution of a rainbow. Sometimes we should notice that a rainbow suddenly "flicks" during a lightning bolt, then slowly changes to its initial pattern as the e-fields build before another strike

Interesting other video with same phenomenon

edit on 21/6/15 by Phatdamage because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yeah I saw this a few days before and it was amazing...very weird indeed. Maybe its a UFO making weird stuff

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Its like a daytime aurora borealous!?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

All three videos have similar clouds viewed from similar angles!

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Thanks everybody! This video is another great example and the link contains a few others. The question I keep asking myself is, why is it so focused and how come we don't see this happening all the time? Another theory is that sunlight striking the earth is being reflected back into the cloud.

The water/ice particles are aligning to form a crude convex lens, focusing the light into a beam. I'm not sure if the wind would have any effect on the beams direction, but rather the proposed electromagnetic force said to be causing the strange alignment within the cloud.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Take a look at this:

That is called sprite lightning and it is so rare and elusive that it the best place to view them is from above the clouds.

Sprites last less than a second as they dance on the tops of thunderstorms. Many viewers say the clusters of charged particles look like jellyfish — big, red balls with tendrils that reach down into the clouds. But red sprites take many shapes, from crowns to carrots, and researchers still don't why. Because few sprites are seen from the ground, thanks to obscuring storms, scientists are hunting them from the air.

The phenomenon was so elusive that the first footage wasn't recorded until 1989 and it has been seen shooting up, not down. The fact that sprites remained elusive for so long and the fact that the footage in the OP exists suggests that there is still so much we have to learn about lightning or atmospheric phenomenon.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I also believe it is a weather phenomenon. I had a good laugh when I read that a so-called 'scientist' had written it was a cumulonimbus - yeah, that's just the fancy latin name for a raincloud.

Our weather can be pretty intimidating. Check out this video that simply shows us a thundercloud - but if you see it you just as well might believe the mothership will pop up from it's center..

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Whatever it is (I am inclined to lean toward the ice crystal alignment in electric field hypothesis personally, but as ever, I can't be 100% certain,) it's very beautiful.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The mystery for me is how this heretofore never recorded, 'cept on the interwebz, magneto, ice crystal oriented, jumping sun dog phenom hasn't been seen until now?

Old people ask these questions.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
To elaborate on my last post, the water/ice in the clouds could also act as a concave mirror. It would be quite a feat for the Sun's rays to pass through a cloud with heavy particulate, reflect off of the Earth's surface, only to then pass back through the cloud causing the light to react as if was passing through a convex lens.

Acting as a convex mirror or reflector rather than a lens would be why we don't see additional phenomenon below the cloud level. I'll await patiently while someone comes along and blows these theories out of the water.

edit on 21-6-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Wow, that is weird, it suddenly reminded me of something (I think) I saw years and years ago (my memory is blurry but that moving light in the clouds is so familiar, I think to remember I was left speechless at the time)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join