It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Cincinnati man calls 911 on self, kills responding officer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

If we didnt have people to enforce laws we would be living in a society somewhat reminiscent of the wild west,if you want to live in a lawless society the middle east.or various other third world countries may appeal to you ...

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
We usually hear of cops showing up to "help" someone by shooting them. The tables were turned this time. I'm not condoning his person actions at all.

Wow your a real criminal..You will pay for those words.
edit on 20-6-2015 by OptimusPrimeOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: cavtrooper7

It really sucks.
A cop that did nothing wrong is dead.
Now other officers will be even more apprehensive about any call they are on.
Things just seem to be getting worse all the time.

Cops are always apprehensive when going on calls. Just because the reporting party says something is occurring doesn't mean it is.

People complain about police, and to a certain extent its valid. However people need to experience what an officer goes thru when responding to calls. 20/20 hindsight is a set up for failure in trying to understand police mindset.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Things like this happen and people wonder why police are so on edge. It's really not that hard to figure out. Every day they go to work some crazy call this this could happen. Every time they pull someone over, every call they respond to, could be the end. They leave their family every day, say goodbye to children and family, and then deal with nonsense and danger on a regular basis.

Yes, it is their job, I get it. Just once, put yourself in the shoes of a police officer. Would you not be worried or more cautious, especially with all the crazy anti police crap that is going on right now? It must be harder than ever to be an officer at this point in time, every person is going to question everything you do, you pull a guy over and you hear 'why you pickin on me?' Every time you have to deal with someone who looks different than you do you are automatically a racist if you don't let them go.

Sure, as with everything, there are bad guys. I'm just pointing out some reasons why police may be faster to physically act now. Reminds me of being deployed, the mentality of "if I don't handle this right now, they are going to handle me." It's sad, but that's what it has come to.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

If we didnt have people to enforce laws we would be living in a society somewhat reminiscent of the wild west,if you want to live in a lawless society the middle east.or various other third world countries may appeal to you ...

Maybe a country that has the most prisoners per capita appeals to you?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 2wheelvet

Why is it so different in other countries?

Why aren't cops so scare-di-cat in other countries?

Could it be that the police in other countries are civil (even to criminals) and not many people fear/hate/wanna kill them?

Some thoughts to ponder. ........

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
I realize that they have to be apprehensive. This kind of thing would make them more on the edge than what is even typical for them.
It would be nice if it could be just a little bit like Mayberry, but I know that this is the real world and things don't s3em to change for the better.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I too wish that things weren't as bad. And violence isn't the answer. But that seems to be the only catalyst that gets things moving.

Maybe I AM too hard on cops. I don't know what they go through daily. But I do think they have themselves to blame for the most part.

People in the UK aren't killing cops like we do here. Why?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

We live in a country with laws that boggle my mind.
You can't drill a well for water on your own property because you will step on the toes of the local municipality that wants its own monopoly on water supply.
You have to wear seat belts in a car, and a cop will pull you over if he sees that you are not wearing them
These are just two of a long list.
We pride ourselves on our freedoms.... duh. They are gone, people.
I think the excessive laws are part of the problem.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I think the excessive laws are part of the problem.

Yes But only part.

The other part is the people who are willing to enforce them......

And please don't go to the extreme like most other posters do when I state things like that.

I know we need [some] laws and we need police to enforce them. But we DO NOT NEED so many laws that make every single citizen a criminal and therefore gives LEO justification to execute us......

edit on 21-6-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

This is terrible of course, but I have to point out a flaw in your statement.

People wonder why the police shoot first, not because people are unaware of the danger that a uniform places a person in, but because the officer chose to wear it, and chose to be the shield between innocent people, and dangerous individuals. That means that they have a responsibility to take a bullet, rather than become part of the problem for innocent people. Being a police officer should not be something that keeps the bailiff off ones doorstep, but a calling, and those who heed it must understand their choice far better, if the police agencies of the United States are ever to be respected again, as they once were.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I live in Cincinnati and have followed this event from the start. Sonny Kim was shot by a man who called 911 to report a man with a gun. When Officer Kim arrived he was shot immediately by the individual who had called 911. He then engaged in a running gun fight with other officers who arrived after KIM. The shooter picked up Kim's gun and continued to exchange fire until he was fatally wounded.

When the news media arrived, they were met by 2 ministers with the standard talking points of bad community relations between the police and blacks. They stated that the black community was not represented adequately on the police department. They continued by saying, the area had heavy gang activity and poor economic opportunity compounded by heavy police presence.

By the time of the local evening news, the police was reporting that the shooter had lured police into a suicide by cop scheme. The shooter's mother produced facebook entries where the shooter had planned this event earlier. Sadly, no one acted to stop it.

This event is sad at every level. It is sad that a man took the life of a police officer. It is sad that a man who was suicidal didn't get help by friends or family. The most sad part was the attempt by black community leaders to make this event into something it was not. They immediately took the national narrative of bad cops against blacks prematurely.

Today is Sunday. I wonder what the two reverends are preaching to their flocks? I wonder if they are honest enough to learn from their premature assumptions. I would hope they are ministering to the families who lost loved ones and not preaching hate and division.
edit on 21-6-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You were right
My bad
Lesson learned

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

A police officer can experience things during one shift that a civilian might, might, experience in one lifetime.

Rapes
Domestic assault
Suicide
Child abuse
Murder
Missing children
Runaway children
Motor vehicle accidents w injury.
Motor vehicle accidents with fatality
Elder abuse

Ive done my share of death notifications that come on the heals of child abuse and domestic assaults. Its not an easy job in any sense of the imagination. Its hours of sheer boredom followed by minutes of extreme terror followed by hours of paperwork.

Its responding to an assault only to find an individual armed and not knowing how he fits into the scene - suspect? Victim? Innocent bystander? Its trying to make a snap decision on whether to shoot or don't shoot while trying to account for the possibility that the armed person might react in a manner that can be construed as an imminent threat while not being a threat at all.

Police training teaches us to break the tunnel vision. Civilians don't generally have that training, making situations even worse. Its one of the reasons you will see an officer screaming at an individual the same commands over and over - to break their tunnel vision and focus on what the police are saying.

An interesting read.
Shoot or don't shoot: Police scenarios prove eye-opening for civil rights leaders

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Today is Friday here in Cincinnati. Sonny Kim is being laid to rest!

Yesterday, during a service, officers caught a young black man in the parking lot of the Cintas Center with a pistol. Was he going to ambush another policeman? It has been kept quiet but one news station reports that he was a friend of the murderer. What the hell is going on here? Why do we have these bad actors?

Where's the outrage? Is there a portion of the public that hate police so badly that this event can't move you to condemn this murder?

This whole event has been a classic case of a sick public. Two black reverends came out immediately condemning the police only to eat their words by the end of the day. Not a week went by until a young thug was caught with a pistol in the parking lot where services was being held for the dead policeman. It has been a week and the two reverends have said nothing to heal their community.

Where's the cop haters? Speak up! Tell us how you can justify Sonny Kim's death.
edit on 26-6-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Why has it taken over a week for "Bishop" Bobby Hilton, who initially condemned Officer Kim on the day of his murder, to send his condolence to the Kim Family?

"Bishop" Bobby Hilton stated, Cincinnati Police needs more diversity to have better relations with the black community. On it's face he sounds like the national dialog for anti-police activities and it was! He was so quick to assume that Officer Kim was in the wrong before he knew the real story. He was quick to get on the local TV station to spew his disinformation (LIES).

The Ferguson Missouri Police only had 3% black officers on it's force. Cincinnati has 34% black officers and has a very active diversity effort in it's recruiting. Finding qualified black candidates is a big problem here in Cincinnati. Our last two chiefs came from somewhere else and both are black.

From my research, cities with over 100,000 population having 34% black police officers is above average. New York City has only 26% representation.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
There must be a news blackout with information covering the young thug who brought a pistol to Sonny Kim's funeral services. There is absolutely nothing in the news and I'll go through the police website to see if anything can be found.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6
Bottles were being thrown on Fountain Square at about 11pm Saturday night resulting in the injury of one civilian and a police officer. Riot police took nearly 2 hours to disperse about 50 black juveniles in downtown Cincinnati last night.

This was said to be a rehearsal for the All-Star games later this week.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Update: 7 were arrested, 3 were juveniles and all were charged with felony assault against a police officer. What is happening to my Cincinnati?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join