It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Growing Right-Wing Terror Threat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

But headlines can mislead. The main terrorist threat in the United States is not from violent Muslim extremists, but from right-wing extremists. Just ask the police.

In a survey we conducted with the Police Executive Research Forum last year of 382 law enforcement agencies, 74 percent reported anti-government extremism as one of the top three terrorist threats in their jurisdiction; 39 percent listed extremism connected with Al Qaeda or like-minded terrorist organizations. And only 3 percent identified the threat from Muslim extremists as severe, compared with 7 percent for anti-government and other forms of extremism.

Now the rant - a two fold rant: 1: ATS and 2: the 'right wing' (conservative) noise machine.

Number One:

A threa was openned on the above subject by a fairly new member. They didn't give a link to the article or state the nature (Opinion Piece) of that article. They were blasted - but not for those mistakes - but for the content - it was a lie - the poster was **** you all know the drill.

Another poster and I posted some supporting documentation for the OP in the way of support. I PM'd (Private Messaged) the OP to offer support and to keep at it.

Then the thread disappeared. Poof - gone. I'd had a reply to my PM - those where gone as well.

Was it because of the lack of references? But why would the PMs disappear (my only way of remembering the original poster). Was it the content of OP.

Propably never know. It should have been a good and lively discussion.

So in further support of the OP I'll add this link to the 'sacred' Department of Homeland Security (a more fascist sounding name a sci-fi auther couldn't have come up with - you can just see the jackboots).

www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com...

from 2012:

In April 2009 DHS secretary Janet Napolitano released a report (see the report here) identifying right-wing extremists as posing a terror threat to the United States. The 2009 DHS report was based on three FBI reports on the subject — from 2004, 2006, and 2007 — written under the guidance and supervision of the George W. Bush administration’s Justice Department (the term “right-wing” was used by the FBI in these reports), but as Reuters reports (also see this Los Angeles Times report and this Salon story), the 2009 report was met with criticism from conservative commentators and lawmakers, who said DHS was playing politics.

NUMBER TWO:

I wanted to see other responses to the original OPED piece in the New York Times.

www.nytimes.com...

And came across this gem - that just begged to be decontructed:

poorrichardsnews.com...

(Ben Franklin would be turning in his grave for the covoluted and deceitful claptrap presented under his name - may he rest in peace)

The introduction to what appears to be a long quote from the NYT piece but isn't:

The New York Times is going out of its way to make sure its readers believe that “right wing extremists” are the biggest threat America faces today.

On to the quote which is ended by this gem:

The stupid, it hurts.

Yes gentle folk - that is the sentence and paragraph - verbatim.

The piece continues to quote the NYT piece without attribution along with another one line dismissive comment and continues to quote. It's obvious who can write coherently and not. And I'm no writter and give LOTS of slack to others for that simple fact.

Then to the meat:

Now who exactly is this Police Executive Research Forum, unknown to us until just now? Well, they receive generous funding from one MacArthur Foundation. And who, pray tell, are they? Glad you asked.

Unknow to us, not just you? Really?

From their website:

The Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) is an independent research organization that focuses on critical issues in policing. Since its founding in 1976, PERF has identified best practices on fundamental issues such as reducing police use of force; developing community policing and problem-oriented policing; using technologies to deliver police services to the community; and evaluating crime reduction strategies.

www.policeforum.org...

Okay - self-centered thinking - check.

The 'author' continues:

In at least one case, Fanton said that leftist donors had gone too far. In 2002, Steve Kirsch, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, announced that he was going to spend millions on an organization with the working title of “The Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy,” which he said would be the left-wing counterpart to Americans for Tax Reform. Fanton said that it was a bad idea for donors to give money to an organization that thought it already had the answers to public policy problems. “To go all the way to where a foundation thinks it has the answer and it’s going to try to work that answer through to a solution, that’s a more difficult question,” Fanton told the Wall Street Journal.

If this guy, that I've never heard of (oops - pot calling kettle and all that) is a donor that is his right but doesn't make it a 'mouthpiece' for him because it's also funded by: (In a completely incoherent change in the middle of the paragraphy)

It is true that a small amount of MacArthur’s money goes to center-right organizations. Between 2001-2004, MacArthur gave three grants to the Center for Strategic and International Studies totaling $1.25 million for research into nuclear nonproliferation, Russian missile development, and biological weapons.

How did he (an assumption on my part) make that connection - oh the tech dude's personal mouthpiece is the MacArthur foundation:

The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation is the 10th largest private foundation in the United States.[2] Its grant-making primarily supports a wide variety of causes, from criminal justice to digital media and beyond.[3][4][5]

Based in Chicago, the Foundation supports non-profit organizations in approximately 50 countries.

[6] MacArthur has awarded more than US$5.5 billion since its inception in 1978. With an endowment of $6.32 billion, the foundation provides approximately $225 million annually in grants.[6]

In addition to selecting the MacArthur Fellows, also known as "genius grants," the foundation awards grants in funding areas including arts and culture, community and economic development, digital media and learning, housing, and juvenile justice.[6] The Foundation's stated aim is to "support creative people and effective institutions committed to building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world."[7]

Nope - but there is the 'Chicago' connection - it's Obamas fault.

Then there is babbling on "The American Enterprise Institute":

The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (AEI) is a center-right[2] think tank based in Washington, DC. Its research is dedicated to issues of government, politics, economics and social welfare. Founded in 1938, its stated mission is "to defend the principles and improve the institutions of American freedom and democratic capitalism—limited government, private enterprise, individual liberty and responsibility, vigilant and effective defense and foreign policies, political accountability, and open debate".[3] AEI is an independent nonprofit organization supported primarily by grants and contributions from foundations, corporations, and individuals.
Some AEI staff members are considered to be some of the leading architects of the second Bush administration's public policy.[4] More than twenty staff members served either in a Bush administration policy post or on one of the government's many panels and commissions. Among the prominent former government officials now affiliated with AEI are former U.S. ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton, now an AEI senior fellow; former chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities Lynne Cheney, a longtime AEI senior fellow; former member of the Dutch parliament Ayaan Hirsi Ali, an AEI visiting fellow; and former deputy secretary of defense Paul Wolfowitz, now visiting AEI. Other prominent individuals affiliated with AEI include Kevin Hassett, Frederick W. Kagan, Leon Kass, Charles Murray, Norman J. Ornstein, Christina Hoff Sommers, Peter J. Wallison, and Mark J. Perry.[5]

edit on 20-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The sad fact is we cant beat them, they repeat the same garbage in every thread possible, they defend fox news, breitbart and right wing blogs like its there bible.

Get ready for the incoming parroted noise they call facts.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Continued:

The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (AEI) is a center-right[2] think tank based in Washington, DC. Its research is dedicated to issues of government, politics, economics and social welfare.

Founded in 1938, its stated mission is "to defend the principles and improve the institutions of American freedom and democratic capitalism—limited government, private enterprise, individual liberty and responsibility, vigilant and effective defense and foreign policies, political accountability, and open debate".

[3] AEI is an independent nonprofit organization supported primarily by grants and contributions from foundations, corporations, and individuals.

Some AEI staff members are considered to be some of the leading architects of the second Bush administration's public policy.[4] More than twenty staff members served either in a Bush administration policy post or on one of the government's many panels and commissions. Among the prominent former government officials now affiliated with AEI are former U.S. ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton, now an AEI senior fellow; former chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities Lynne Cheney, a longtime AEI senior fellow; former member of the Dutch parliament Ayaan Hirsi Ali, an AEI visiting fellow; and former deputy secretary of defense Paul Wolfowitz, now visiting AEI. Other prominent individuals affiliated with AEI include Kevin Hassett, Frederick W. Kagan, Leon Kass, Charles Murray, Norman J. Ornstein, Christina Hoff Sommers, Peter J. Wallison, and Mark J. Perry.[5]

Okay maybe not the mouthpiece - again.

And he continues on his own rant about the MacArthur foundation which I will leave you to read yourself if you've an interest.

He closes the extended 'quote' area with this thrilling conclusion:

I often wonder if print media would be dying as fast as it is if they weren’t so hell-bent on making a mockery of themselves…

Well back to the alledged creator of left-wing distortion and propoganda, I had to look him up:

Steven Kirsch founded Mouse Systems Corporation in 1982. After he left the company, he co-founded Frame Technology Corp. in 1986 to market the FrameMaker publishing software. After Frame was acquired by Adobe Systems for $500M, he founded a Web portal company, Infoseek Corporation, in 1994. After Infoseek was acquired by Disney, he founded Propel Software Corporation in 1999. As of 2007, he was leading Abaca Technology Corp.[6] which makes an extremely accurate spam filter (99.99% according to two independent reviews).[7][8]

In September 2011, he started OneID[9] which is creating a user-centric Internet-scale digital identity system that uses public key cryptography to replace usernames and passwords with a single, stable, secure, digital identity that preserves privacy and is compatible with the NSTIC[10] goals.[11] The technology is currently utilized by a number of non-profits, such as Salsa, to increase the frequency and security of online donations.[12]

Sounds like a good capitalist to me.

And from his very own foundation website:

Changes at the Kirsch Foundation

In early October 2007, the Kirsch Foundation announced a major change in direction for the organization. After extensive deliberation, the Foundation’s Board of Directors made a decision to invest a substantial portion of its assets into research associated with Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia. The Board came to learn about this rare blood cancer through Founder Steve Kirsch’s diagnosis with the disease in August. Read the full statement from Susan Frank, former Kirsch Foundation President & CEO. As a result of these changes, the Foundation is now focused on cancer research and is a non-staffed supporting organization of Silicon Valley Community Foundation. This web site will no longer be updated. To contact someone at the community foundation, please call Nancy Forker, Executive Assistant to the Chief of Staff, at (650) 450-5527. The Kirsch Foundation Board of Directors thanks all of its grantees and colleagues – past and present – for your partnership over the years.

www.kirschfoundation.org...

The one 'reasonable' question that I saw researching the complaints about this OPED were that the research being used was outdated. The DHS report is from 2012 that I referenced is from 2012. However the 'survey' the partnership of the New York Times and PERF (Police Executives....) was clearly noted as being from Last Year. The OPED is dated June 2015.

I was unable to find the original survey but that is probably due to either 'proprietary' issues or delay in publishing.

So - there you have it.

What say you....

1) Why did ATS take the original piece down?

and

2) Is there any coherent response from the 'right'. I defin coherent as factual, relevant and presented in a rational fashion.

I miss William Buckley. His premises were in error, my opinion; but his presentation and facts where sound.

Are there any like him left?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm terribly sorry but...

What?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

The main terrorist threat in the United States is not from violent Muslim extremists, but from right-wing extremists. Just ask the police.

Looks like the Police State really *is* Left Wing afterall !!

We all need to tread lightly. The ice is thin.

I wonder how many ultra Right Wing organizations are operating in the big city high crime areas?

Hmmm.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Just is name of fairness, the extreme left isn't all rainbows either.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The war on terror is disguised to make us think the enemy is them terrs overseas that defend their spice sands.

And thats part of it. The real enemy is anyone who shoots back, here or there.

The term they use here, "Domestic Terror" should be a clue.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Im happy to teach you a new word, its called facts, google it you might learn something

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Any ideology that impedes the growth and control and reach of government is going to be branded as a "terrorist group".

The founding fathers were probably considered terrorists by king George III.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Well...not specifically. Traitors and rebels and...."deviants."

That last one is a doozy.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Just is name of fairness, the extreme left isn't all rainbows either.

There is almost no extreme Left in the US. The right is calling President Obama the extreme left. Kinda what Rant part B is about.

Muslim extrememists and terrorists are hard line RIGHT.
edit on 20-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Not really that simple. Left wing terrorism lost a lot of support when people realized communism sucks. They were very, very active prior to that.

In current day terms, just about all the Eco-terror groups are extreme left.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

LOL

I like those statements.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Right wing terrorism is the biggest threat we face from terrorism though.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Shamrock6

Right wing terrorism is the biggest threat we face from terrorism though.

Especially the big city high crime areas like Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Los Angeles, etc. etc.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Theres another word you need to learn terrorist, thanks for proving us again you cant stay on topic and answer questions

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Theres another word you need to learn terrorist, thanks for proving us again you cant stay on topic and answer questions

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

What was the questions?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't disagree. But I do disagree with the statement that there's "almost no extreme left." There is an extreme left, has been for a long time. Whether they've torched any Hummer dealerships lately is immaterial. They're still around. They're still spiking trees to stop logging, they're still ramming ships at sea to stop whaling, all that stuff.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Fairness again.
blog.lib.umn.edu...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join