It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help needed, cant post pics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hi can anyone enlighten me to what im doing wrong, I uploaded a few pics with no problem, but everytime i try to post them either using the insert image tool or using the bbcode it wont work.
It says (pic undefined /pic) either way, and no pic

It has happened before but cant remember what I did to make it work, help please, im sure its something silly.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

After uploading pic....click it open and use code to paste into post...not link to

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The only thing that had me struggling a bit is that once the picture is uploaded, I clicked on it, and then tried to paste the highlighted and copied "use in post bb-code" into the "insert an image from your library" icon above.

The bb-code must be copied and pasted straight into the thread where you want it, just like a normal link.
Don't use any of the icons/functions above your post, but paste straight ahead.
The link is already contracted and ready to use directly in the post (unlike YouTube videos, which the user must snip to insert via the icon above).
Not sure that helps, but it had me fiddling for a while.
Meanwhile I was making things more complicated than necessary.
edit on 20-6-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

The bb-code must be copied and pasted straight into the thread where you want it, just like a normal link.

That.

OP: Is the "undefined image" occurring when you paint the link or when you paste it into a thread?
edit on 20-6-2015 by intrptr because: OP:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

both.
here's what just happened: there are 3 pics i want to post.
I'm in the uploads page clicking on the first one, copying the bb link and pasting, and it works, sometimes (if I reload the page) , but when i choose the 2nd and 3rd pics it always says pic undefined.
it seems to me I have some sort of bug or something.
This way, I think I would have to create 3 posts just to post the 3 different pics, hope that makes sense.
weird

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

When you copy the link, you're copying the "BBcode for use in post", right? And you're using ALL the text in the box, including the "pic" and "/pic" tags?

I'll try what to post more than one pic and see if it works:

Yeah, it works.
edit on 6/20/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Strange.
I've pasted multiple pics in one post.
One after the other of course.
Maybe the pics come from a bad source or content, broken link?
Have you tried uploading the pics from another source via an image search (most pics on the Internet can be found in more than one place)?
Maybe the size or link aren't right, or something like that?
When things don't work I usually delete cookies and history and log-in again, and things usually work as good as new without the clutter.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This forum, compared with some others, is far from user friendly if you are not familiar with HTML or XML used on the web.

As most people come here to talk about other subjects then I thought I'd offer a bit of help in detail.

A picture can liven up your posts and also breaks up walls of text.

So here's a brief lesson in how to do it. I'll have to assume that users know how to create and save a picture onto their PC and upload it to ATS. I'll assume you know how to right-click to copy the various 'code' needed from the uploads section of ATS.

I'm going to go with this tiny 'spaceship' icon I used in a recent post

Once it has been uploaded a box usually appears automatically like below. It will also appear if you click on a picture you've uploaded at any other time.

Now another hint is if you are making a long post that has taken a while to write then it's best to do so offline in a text editor. Notepad or Wordpad are good enough.

How do we use the code to add pictures?

Well if you add the below into your text

[ pic]fw5581d1bd.gif [ /pic]

Your picture appears in between the lines of text like above. This is the easiest way to use pictures and most people shouldn't find it that difficult.

The next line contains "thumbnail" code

If you are posting a very large picture then this can be useful as it reduces the time a page requires to load and prevents it dominating your posts.

[ thumb]fw5581d1bd.gif[ /thumb]

How to make the words wrap around your pictures.

If you want a picture to appear on the left hand side of your posts with text alongside like this then you need to use [imgl] tags and used the direct URL of the image. This is the full 'internet location' of where your picture is stored and you will need to copy it EXACTLY.

For the above the code to use would be :

[ imgl]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/fw5581d1bd.gif[ /img]

If, on the other hand, you want your text to wrap around a picture on the right hand side like in this example then your code to use would be:

[ imgr]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/fw5581d1bd.gif[ /img]

** Now note I have had to use a space in the tags to prevent this post simply displaying the code as a picture so :

[ imgr] should really read as [imgr]

This should be followed by the full direct URL of the picture with no space after "]".

and [ /img] should read as [/img] again with no space before the "["

Hope that hasn't confused anyone too much.

There is an old thread explaining text sizes, colours, fonts etc here.

A Guide to BBCode on ATS

Some of it is no longer relevant but most of it still applies for anyone who needs to know.

Regards MM

edit on 20/6/15 by mirageman because: addition

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
originally posted by: athousandlives

sometimes (if I reload the page) , but when i choose the 2nd and 3rd pics it always says pic undefined.

Sorry, to clarify, you are reloading the page between loading pics into a post? That might be your problem.

If I misunderstood, sorry. Shouldn't have to reload the page. The best way I found to do it is open two pages in tabs, one the post you are making and the other your uploads page. That way you can switch between the two, uploading one pic at a time from uploads library to the post you are currently making.

If I want more than one pic I paint and paste one at a time into the post window from uploads until all three are secure, then I add the written content, descriptors I want between them, etc.

Reloading pages might be your unknown quantity.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
This forum, compared with some others, is far from user friendly if you are not familiar with HTML or XML used on the web.

A full WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, compatible with all our custom BBcode, is in the works... along with better-intregrated image imbedding. It just takes time as it's a rather complicated effort for a site like ATS.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Well that is great news. I don't actually have too much of a problem with BBcode myself as I am fairly familiar with the techy side of things. But this sounds like it will make things a lot easier for everyone.

Thanks SO

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
yes Ive copied the whole bb text

no, I've only reloaded the page if the first pic doesnt link (and comes up as pic undefined).
Then, when it finally works and try adding a 2nd pic it always says pic undefined, and if i try with another pic it will say that too, even with ones I've managed to successfully post in past threads.
Its confusing I know.
And yes I'm also using separate tabs to make it easier.

a reply to: mirageman
thanks for that short lesson, actually pretty helpful, about using text and images together

a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Thanks for that piece of news!
edit on 20/6/15 by athousandlives because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

no, I've only reloaded the page if the first pic doesn't link (and comes up as pic undefined).

Upon pasting in the post w indow. Never had that problem before. By chance are you mobile?

edit on 20-6-2015 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

no, on my laptop.
maybe some extensions on my browser and other clutter could be affecting this. Thats my guess, I'm not the biggest expert.
I'll try again tomorrow after I do some clean up and optimizing.
thanks anyways

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I'm no expert either. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Uploading images is the most desirable. Linking is next.

SO is on it.

top topics

join