It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am starting to think my dog can read...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Now before I get flamed and ridiculed for saying this I would like to point out that I am not one of these people that attatches human traits and emotions to animals.

I know that dogs are animals, that they have no consciousness, no self awareness ect. They are animals.

The problem is that my dog seems to know about things that he could not possibly know about unless he can read...

This actually started out as a bit of a joke, I work part time from home and am something of a house husband, MrsNonspecific(Msn) is the power crazed corperate breadwinner. For simplicity we tend to use facebook as a method of communication during the day(no judgement required please). I will invariabley get a message saying will be home at this time/that time ect, going to the gym back at 7 or whatever. The time she comes home is within a 4 hour window .

The freaky thing started because no matter what time she said she was going to be home the dog would sit by the door about 20 mins before she would be back. At first I thought it was funny or maybe it was a trigger like me starting to cook dinner ect but nothing seemed to make sense the damn dog just seemed to know.

One time I remember not putting dinner on just to test the dog and he was still there 20 mins before she came home, another time I was expecting her back but the dog never got ready and I even asked it why it was not at the door only for her to be late but I did not see the message.

All this could be put down to all manner of things but yesterday something happened that really got me thinking.

Mns is working away in Europe at the moment so it's just me and the dog. As men often do when left to our own devices I decided that it would be more economical in effort to order a takeaway kebab and save on gas and washing up ect. I ordered on Just eat and then made the dog his dinner. He's a savvy and hungry dog and after cooking his dinner and allowing it to cool down told him it would 5 mins(I'm on my own by this point so do talk to the dog a little but don't think I understand him or verce vica). I looked at the computer to see a message from Mns who has seen from her emails that my takeaway is on it's way and the dogs stood next to me.

Feeling like I have been caught out somehow and looking to give good reason for the takeaway I send a message back saying that it's for me and the dog and it will last us a good 2 days hoping that sharing it with the dog will give me a little leway for my manly laziness and all is good.

I then put the dogs dinner down but he refuses to eat it, this is not normal at all, this dog will eat anything anytime anywhere. As you can guess about 20 mins before the takeaway arrives the dog is stood at the front door like he is expecting guests and nothing I can do will move him or entice him to eat his dinner.

When the takeaway arrived I tried ignoring him and showing him his own dinner but he just sat there patiently waiting for his share. Normally a word will do, a slightly raised voice will definatley make him do as he is told but this time I swear he was looking at me with a peacefull but firm attitude as if to say "You said we were going to share this kebab" and that's what I had to do!

I'm not normally a silly bugger like this but on my life I cannot think of any other explanation other than my dog can read??
edit on 20/6/2015 by nonspecific because: That stupid window full stop glitch.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
He's not reading the words, he's reading your mind.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Sounds like this whale:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
He's not reading the words, he's reading your mind.

Well at least thats sorted then.

Here I was worried about a dog that can read when it's just a TELEPATHIC DOG!!!!

Thats far more complicated??

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

read words?? LOL.

I am not being mean, but your Dog is reading you.

Short answer: Animals that go against their instincts and are embarrassed by their behavior without you ever telling them about that behavior.. That's an animal in thought.. An animal with person like qualities.

Animals are quite conscious. my cat, at my exes house (I'm there too atm). He knows many many sentences, but he doesn't use them as commands, and I don't say them this way. We have conversations. Basically I know his yes,his no, and his not that buuuuttt, and he knows some of mine. His voice actually can sound like the words he is saying. But we also do bird chirp like sounds to each other. Those only contain the energy of what I am saying, but his I can read a bit as words.

I can tell him I will take him out Soon, he thinks this means about an hour..
I can say later, and add after dinner.. He will wait till everyone eats then he will ask.
I can wait till he asks and say 5 minutes, just let me do this.. And he will wait about 5 minutes.

I talk to him all the time.. He knows my energy. I know his. Knowing his energy I can feel his words.. He has about 10 sounds, and the sounds combined with me asking yes and no questions gives us a good level of talk.

I don't think in words, so it's easy for me..

Back to reading words.. When he was tiny.. He used to craw on keyboards.. He saw the screen change and he would look back down at his paws, and press again.. look back up.. He got happy, and then he would hold down letters, and use alternating paws.. He liked certain shapes the keys made.. And would press them on purpose as opposed to other letters.

He eventually forgot that one.

He completely knows what mirrors are and uses them to look at my face when I ask him something.

Oh he thinks other cats are stupid. And he never had a mom.. He was rescued at 1-3 days.. We got him after a few weeks.. Little runt couldn't even eat really. I think that's what made him him. He's a lot like me actually.

Oh and there are many dog studies that show the dog can sense when the owner leaves to come home, and will wait for them. You shouldn't have promised the good stuff.. Your doggy was waiting hahaha..

Love it.

edit on 20-6-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

read words?? LOL.

I am not being mean, but your Dog is reading you.

Short answer: Animals that go against their instincts and are embarrassed by their behavior without you ever telling them about that behavior.. That's an animal in thought.. An animal with person like qualities.

Animals are quite conscious. my cat, at my exes house (I'm there too atm). He knows many many sentences, but he doesn't use them as commands, and I don't say them this way. We have conversations. Basically I know his yes,his no, and his not that buuuuttt, and he knows some of mine. His voice actually can sound like the words he is saying. But we also do bird chirp like sounds to each other. Those only contain the energy of what I am saying, but his I can read a bit as words.

I can tell him I will take him out Soon, he thinks this means about an hour..
I can say later, and add after dinner.. He will wait till everyone eats then he will ask.
I can wait till he asks and say 5 minutes, just let me do this.. And he will wait about 5 minutes.

I talk to him all the time.. He knows my energy. I know his. Knowing his energy I can feel his words.. He has about 10 sounds, and the sounds combined with me asking yes and no questions gives us a good level of talk.

I don't think in words, so it's easy for me..

Back to reading words.. When he was tiny.. He used to craw on keyboards.. He saw the screen change and he would look back down at his paws, and press again.. look back up.. He got happy, and then he would hold down letters, and use alternating paws.. He liked certain shapes the keys made.. And would press them on purpose as opposed to other letters.

He eventually forgot that one.

He completely knows what mirrors are and uses them to look at my face when I ask him something.

Oh he thinks other cats are stupid. And he never had a mom.. He was rescued at 1-3 days.. We got him after a few weeks.. Little runt couldn't even eat really. I think that's what made him him. He's a lot like me actually.

Oh and there are many dog studies that show the dog can sense when the owner leaves to come home, and will wait for them. You shouldn't have promised the good stuff.. Your doggy was waiting hahaha..

Love it.

So we are saying that if my dog cannot read which is probable he can somehow sense things with no explanation as to how?

Given that there is no evidence to suggest that humans with bigger brains can do this is it not more plausable that my dog can read

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I have to disagree with you. Dogs do have consciousness and are self aware. They are also capable of problem solving.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Dogs read sign, almost magical to our perceptions. Dogs can hear and feel vibrations, like cars, wheel noises, brake sounds, the sounds pistons make in their cylinders, all of which present a frequency that they attune to and can detect many miles away given the right conditions. I mention that because it seems the arrival of someone is what your dog detects.

I don't know where you live or how rural or noisy a street you live on, but sound most likely is what your dog is keying on.

Some herding animals recognize their babes calls amongst a noisy background of other babes and mothers. Same with roosting sea birds.

When penguins return they call out to their chicks and they find each other through that din of other birds, by recognizing the calls they make.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I have to disagree with you. Dogs do have consciousness and are self aware. They are also capable of problem solving.

I meant on the same level that humans do and in the way that they do not have the ability to form complex rational arguments or opinions.

Pretty clever but still animals.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Absolutely!

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

That is very clever training.

What I am suggesting is that my dog is reading my personal messages and email and making informed decisions on it's findings.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Not to be that guy, but I think your dog just started a thread on you in the chit chat forum.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

What I am suggesting is that my dog is reading my personal messages and email and making informed decisions on it's findings.

Dogs read Tone not voice in most cases or at least it's a stronger reaction.
You can say you goofy little silly face, in a nice voice (if he doesn't know those words) and he will like it..
I bet your dog can't even see letters clearly enough..

Your dog is reading you..

Here's a story. My old doggy dog shiloh.. If ever I was going to go outside he knew about it..
I am not talking about a dog in the same room as me.
I am not talking about putting on shoes or getting up..
I am saying the mere thought of going out and the dog came EVERY time..

I used to hear my mom scream my name to come and find out she was only wishing I was there.
Sometimes I will answer questions, and get weird looks before the other person says get out of my head..
And then I am like wait, you didn't just say that?

It takes connection.. But it doesn't take line of sight.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown

Not to be that guy, but I think your dog just started a thread on you in the chit chat forum.

They're on to me.. They aren't quite at animal intelligence.. They're smart, but they're still humans..

Funny people think humans are not animals.. Anyway.. Or people who say Fish isn't meat? What is it a fungus haha..

Oh people.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

originally posted by: nonspecific

Dogs read Tone not voice in most cases or at least it's a stronger reaction.
You can say you goofy little silly face, in a nice voice (if he doesn't know those words) and he will like it..
I bet your dog can't even see letters clearly enough..

Your dog is reading you..

Here's a story. My old doggy dog shiloh.. If ever I was going to go outside he knew about it..
I am not talking about a dog in the same room as me.
I am not talking about putting on shoes or getting up..
I am saying the mere thought of going out and the dog came EVERY time..

I used to hear my mom scream my name to come and find out she was only wishing I was there.
Sometimes I will answer questions, and get weird looks before the other person says get out of my head..
And then I am like wait, you didn't just say that?

It takes connection.. But it doesn't take line of sight.

I do not agrue that and also know that dogs can pick up tone, stance and body language, I've had dozens over the years.
My point was in this instance that no one spoke in the instance other than me telling the dog his dinner was ready.

Maybe I give off pheromones when awaiting a takeaway and the dog can judge how long it takes to order on a Friday night?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Who said dogs are not self-aware? Remember that sh#t eating grin they have when they roll in crap? "How great am I?"

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

no.. Not what I mean.. come on now.. dogs can't read.. My cat can't read and he has full sentences he says.. but anyway..

You thought about it in your head.. The second video talks about telepathy. 50/50... Those are some test results..

BBC video Science..

ABC video science..

don't be silly.. Communicate more..

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Write ''your mother was a cat'' and ''from now on you eat rabbit food'' and see if it reacts.

If it doesn't, draw a picture of it and some carrots in it's food bowl.

If it starts talking or brings you carrots, video it and like 'grumpy cat' it would be youtube gold.

However, animals are able to communicate more than most are aware of.

My Maine coon cat, (huge and more dog like than the average cat, super intelligent and very communicative) was acting odd when I got home once and I asked it if anything was wrong, it meowed some long and expressive meows that my ex had ''thrown water on it, didn't feed it and threw it outside'', I immediately asked my ex who blamed his friend for telling me, his friend told him he didn't tell me and we both said I asked the cat. True story. It also happened when it peed on my visiting MIL's clothes after she kicked it when I asked him as peeing on things in the house wasn't like him, MIL when asked said ''it was just a small kick'' as he was getting fur on her clothes. Another true story.

The meows didn't sound exactly like words but I understood the things it said, almost like telepathy, it understood anything I asked it, it had meows for ''hungry'', ''wanting outside'' etc. As far as I know, no one else understood, my ex hated that I understood it.

My cat always knew when I was on my home too, he would sit at the window waiting, and pretend he wasn't when I arrived. He really was more than the average cat, super intelligent.

Perhaps it is showing it connects to you more and feeling your nervous plight about ordering without 'permission'.
edit on 20-6-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Write ''your mother was a cat'' and ''from now on you eat rabbit food'' and see if it reacts.

If it doesn't, draw a picture of it and some carrots in it's food bowl.

If it starts talking or brings you carrots, video it and like 'grumpy cat' it would be youtube gold.

I just read your post and the dog got up and went to bed....

I still say dogs that can read is more likely than dogs that could read other animals minds.

I can read but I can't read minds and I am far more cleverer than my dog, why think he has mastered the unknown and not something a five year old can do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join