It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Login Page Bug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is a different problem than the one FyreByrd reported so I'm noting it separately to avoid confusion.
FyreByrd said when the login information is entered, nothing happens.
When I enter my login information, I get logged in.
However which links I click from the login page seem to determine whether I see the bug or not.
If I click the "My ATS" link there is no problem.
However if I click the "New Topics" link in "There have been X number of new topics since you were last logged in", I get a pop-up box that prompts me to enter login information.
I don't enter any login information and click cancel, and am redirected to an abovetopsecret error page.
I enter url abovetopsecret,com and I'm still logged in and if I don't click that "new topics" link I don't have any more problems with the pop-up asking me to enter my credentials.

I logged out and back in and did this twice so it's repeatable. I didn't try all the links on that login page so I don't know how many others may have this problem, but even if there are others if you figure out how to fix the one, it will probably be the same fix for the others.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
For the last several nights in a row at around the same time, I try to log in and it pops a box up and says, "serious ATS error. Refresh and try again."

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse
Oh......and when I do refresh, like it says to do.....still doesn't work.
For me personally, it's not a big deal. For I do mostly reading on here. Figured I'd put it out there though.
Good luck with the problems.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This should be corrected now.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
Wow, that was fast!

Thanks SkepticOverlord, I confirm that it has been corrected.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I stay logged in/on...to ATS. Work, home PC, laptop, phone. Im in and out all day, night, month, months...any reason that's a problem? Because I have none...because Im always "logged on"...except the occasional re-signing in maybe a month or so apart but almost never.

So Im ON. Why is everyone logging in and out? Im the same with other sites. I have no issues with malware, worms, phishers, ads...whatever.

So, why should I be logging out and in? A simple explanation would be helpful.
(But, Im still staying logged in.....)

Thanks

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
I don't normally log out either, but even if you don't log out the cookie that keeps you logged in only lasts about a month so you still have to log in once a month to replace the expired cookie, right?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Idont believe so? I know I haven't, except when I clean up my files, cookies etc with scanning and restart...of course....but I know I've left the cookies, temp files, loggons etc alone for months and months and months at a time, so...

Anyone? Can we clarify please? Thanks...MS

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
I have no explanation for why you don't have to login once a month, that's strange. I can only tell you what I see.

To make it a little easier to see the cookies I installed the Cookies Manager + add-on for firefox.
After re-starting the browser, I go to "tools" then click "Cookies Manager +" and it displays the cookies.
For site abovetopsecret.com I have two of them named xmbpw and xmbuser. I logged in about 8 hours ago and the cookies say they expire in 29 days and 16 hours, so I guess they're good for 30 days.

If you're not getting something like this with your cookies I have no idea why. You could look up your cookies and see what the expiration date is, if there is one. According to this it's set by the website developer, though it also explains how to edit it but i think you'd know if you edited your cookies:

How to Edit Cookie Expiration Dates in your Web Browser

When you enable the Remember Me option, your login details are stored in a cookie with your browser and the length of time that you remain automatically logged in depends on the expiry date the cookie has been given.

This date is set by the website developer and could range from a matter of hours, to even several years meaning if you don’t delete the cookie, you could still login automatically in a year or two’s time!
I suppose I could edit the expiry date if I wanted (the Cookies Manager + makes that easy) but I don't mind the 30 days and having to re-enter my password once a month helps me to remember it, whereas if I didn't enter it for a year I'd be more likely to forget it. That wouldn't normally be a problem unless I travel and use other computers in my travels, in which case I have to remember the password.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It isn't fixed. Currently I'm logged in on my phone. I can't log in on my pc. It gives me login page but when I put in user and pass nothing happens. I thought maybe I for some odd reason might have changed my password and forgot so I tried sending reset to my email.....nothing happened.

No error code or anything. I put in info and hit enter, the info bars go blank then nothing.

-Alien

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct
It isn't fixed. Currently I'm logged in on my phone. I can't log in on my pc. It gives me login page but when I put in user and pass nothing happens. I thought maybe I for some odd reason might have changed my password and forgot so I tried sending reset to my email.....nothing happened.

No error code or anything. I put in info and hit enter, the info bars go blank then nothing.

-Alien

Edit to add... I logged out on my phone to see if I could log back in and I was successful in logging in on my phone

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct
Have you tried clearing your browser's cache?
ATS made some changes so if you still have the old login page cached, that could cause problems like you're experiencing.
Do a search on how to clear the cache for your browser if you don't know how, then clear the cache and try again, at least that's what I'd do if I had that problem. It's working fine for me.

edit on 20-6-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

join