It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time we worked together yet on our "gun problem"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The shooter at the SC church was in felony possession of a firearm.

He entered a so-called "gun-free zone" and killed 9 people with a gun he had on him illegally.

Please explain to me how violation of the 2nd Amendment will solve that problem. Explain to me how background checks, restrictions on magazine capacity, or any other arbitrary policies against law abiding citizens will stop things like this from happening?

I have an excellent idea. STOP VIOLATING THE RIGHT OF THE INDIVIDUAL TO EXERCISE SELF DEFENSE!

Creating sitting duck zones, violating the 4th Amendment rights of individuals simply for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights, and expecting something good to come from it has long had its day. The experiment in disarmament is a failed one.
edit on pSat, 20 Jun 2015 12:12:52 -0700201520America/Phoenix2015-06-20T12:12:52-07:0030vx6 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Why after every tragedy do we get these hysterical soul searching threads. It's clear there's no demand or desire to change, so why even discuss it. The only answer is more people should be armed especially in churches and schools and airports and just deal with it rather than hysterical media responses. It's called personal responsibility and the media needs to play along too.anyway I'll let the naval gazing continue.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Naval gazing? Are we looking at ships now? Are ships the problem?!?

Hey vixen check your inbox

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Guns are NOT the issue. PEOPLE are the issue. Neither are knives, cars, alcohol....or pressure cookers for that matter.

Its PSYCHOTIC, CRAZY people. Not the objects used or access to them. Cars, alcohol, knives, drugs, guns...etc.

MS
Concealed Carry License Holder

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

hysterical and soul searching?

I've been SCREAMING this for years to all that will listen.

If the anti gunners gave a damn about stopping senseless murders, they'd start DEMANDING that those who commit firearm related crimes get the MAXIMUM punishment for their crimes. Not a slap on the wrist and set free to do more needless crimes.

Again, the very vast majority of firearm related crimes are committed by repeat criminals and they rarely get punished to the extent of the law. How the hell is that combating anything?

Leave my rights alone and enforce the law(current laws) to their maximum extent.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra
SEMI AUTOMATIC..please get that one right.
WHAT about COMBAT vets?
Hunter's Safety WAS in place for a while ,in Canon City Highschool we shot .22 rifle s at an indoor range to learn to aim properly I 've been expert ever since.
It's DEFINATELY not going to be allowed today.
I ALSO have PTSD.
Nominal psychiatry woud Hhave a FIELD day with the sociopathy of the idea. It not like we even HAVE a functioning mental health system,nationally.
Even if you GO for help ,GOOD luck getting work once it's out.
I was in it for a math Dysfuction so I wasn't daignosesd and medicated becausr THEY didn't know why.
Insurance is an EPICLY stupid idea,itwould be impossible to get, so THAT tdea wouldn't fly.
This nut ALSO planned this insane idea for months what of the people under direct threats like that poor woman in New York city?
No waiting period.
We need FAMILIES back,we need our econmy fixed and most of all WE ALL need to return to the CENTRIST logic and GET RID of this left/right divisionary garbage the oligharcs push on us.
edit on 20-6-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

YOU aren't TOTALLY wrong but we can't save the world from themselves.
And we CERTAINLY won't let the world KILL us for a redeeming societal values.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

We don't live in fear..we already HAVE guns and the bas guys stay away.
We haven't LIVED in a caste culture at all ,we have more people that Scotland EVER will.
Your lives and chioces are YOURS not ours.Criticizing THAT wihch you don't want to unsderstand is a failure of critical thinking.
The guns are here already ,millions have them,we have to figure out HOW to adjust to that.
Giving them up means becoming hostages to bad guys from common thugs ot a Nazi police state or perhaps as had happened in Russia.
ONE man raiding the treasury and running things himself.
HELL with that.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
To me it doesn't sound like gun laws really need reform it's the people that need it, we can pass 1,000,000,000 gun laws but that won't do anything until people enforce them correctly. People's education takes up a larger part of this gun argument, cause you hear all these stories about a 5 or 6 year old kid got a hold of the parents loaded gun and shot their brother or sister, while tragic the only people to blame and parents who left their gun for the little kid to find. if people don't properly know how to handle firearms how will they know how to not let there kid find a gun that was overly accessible, how will they know how to properly holster their weapon so they don't end up blowing their junk off or their brains out.

As for the violence aspect, look at world headlines today I go on RT.com I see a story about a guy who drove his car into people or a building I forgot exactly but then he goes on a stabbing spree. I've read about people in China going on Killing sprees with just a simple knife, and killing more people there then we can here with semi automatic firearms. If people want to kill people they are probably gonna find a way to do so gun or no gun it doesn't make it any easier it just changes the tactics of the killer. I don't claim to know how to stop these things and sure every one has great ideas about the subject, but until people can learn to open their minds enough to be able to actually listen to others and not argue over the stupid hearsay and gossip these issues won't be solved anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It's not a straw purchase buying a firearm for a gift. They could charge the father if they can prove he knew his son is a felon before giving him a firearm.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
SEMI AUTOMATIC..please get that one right.
WHAT about COMBAT vets?
Hunter's Safety WAS in place for a while ,in Canon City Highschool we shot .22 rifle s at an indoor range to learn to aim properly I 've been expert ever since.www.abovetopsecret.com...
It's DEFINATELY not going to be allowed today.
I ALSO have PTSD.
Nominal psychiatry woud Hhave a FIELD day with the sociopathy of the idea. It not like we even HAVE a functioning mental health system,nationally.
Even if you GO for help ,GOOD luck getting work once it's out.
I was in it for a math Dysfuction so I wasn't daignosesd and medicated becausr THEY didn't know why.
Insurance is an EPICLY stupid idea,itwould be impossible to get, so THAT tdea wouldn't fly.
This nut ALSO planned this insane idea for months what of the people under direct threats like that poor woman in New York city?
No waiting period.
We need FAMILIES back,we need our econmy fixed and most of all WE ALL need to return to the CENTRIST logic and GET RID of this left/right divisionary garbage the oligharcs push on us.

I didn't say insurance. I said registration. We DO have a functioning mental health system. Getting families back and economy fixed has nothing to do with guns. This is the knee jerk reaction, the one you gave and it doesn;t even make sense.
edit on 20-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)
I did mention less restrictions for a rifle for a hunter.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007 It should be noted who it is being bought for.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnesiumbones
To me it doesn't sound like gun laws really need reform it's the people that need it, we can pass 1,000,000,000 gun laws but that won't do anything until people enforce them correctly. People's education takes up a larger part of this gun argument, cause you hear all these stories about a 5 or 6 year old kid got a hold of the parents loaded gun and shot their brother or sister, while tragic the only people to blame and parents who left their gun for the little kid to find. if people don't properly know how to handle firearms how will they know how to not let there kid find a gun that was overly accessible, how will they know how to properly holster their weapon so they don't end up blowing their junk off or their brains out.

As for the violence aspect, look at world headlines today I go on RT.com I see a story about a guy who drove his car into people or a building I forgot exactly but then he goes on a stabbing spree. I've read about people in China going on Killing sprees with just a simple knife, and killing more people there then we can here with semi automatic firearms. If people want to kill people they are probably gonna find a way to do so gun or no gun it doesn't make it any easier it just changes the tactics of the killer. I don't claim to know how to stop these things and sure every one has great ideas about the subject, but until people can learn to open their minds enough to be able to actually listen to others and not argue over the stupid hearsay and gossip these issues won't be solved anytime soon.

Reforming PEOPLE has not worked. So, the laws need to change. I don;t say to take gun rights away, but a gun should be at least as difficult as registering a car and keeping it registered.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I hope these psychotic killers get off the streets soon and let people live their lives without this kind of violence, if these murders keep up as is then the govt wont be able to tolerate 'legal' firearms and you know what that would mean we've been warned about it for ever seems like

link   
Charles Whitman slaughtered all those people back in August 1966 and despite Columbine and many other events since nothing much has happened and nothing ever will so threads like this are a moot point. America wont give up any guns it cant stop psychos getting them and despite whatever protestations arise the 'you've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelete' attitude prevails.Whatever the cure is society is too sick to implement it ,so if you dont like it move to Canada.

link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Why after every tragedy do we get these hysterical soul searching threads. It's clear there's no demand or desire to change, so why even discuss it. The only answer is more people should be armed especially in churches and schools and airports and just deal with it rather than hysterical media responses. It's called personal responsibility and the media needs to play along too.anyway I'll let the naval gazing continue.

We already have cops killing kids. Do we want teachers, TSA agents and pastors getting itchy fingers if they overthink a situation? We certainly don't need random people carrying guns everywhere.

None of the situations, I can think of, where there were mass shootings in the US in the last 2 years where a couple concealed carry guys could have helped. Mass shooters go in knowing they will die. They shoot fast and they aim to kill as many as they can is as short a time as possible. A dark theater? They wouldn't be able to help. A bible study group in a small room in a basement? More ricochet will injure people. A mall? Too huge of a crowd to get a good shot.

In none of these situations, except for an armed security guard at that baiting art show in Texas -- were any civilians able to stop anything. Some of them may have had guns, I have no idea.
I have no idea, since if they did, they weren't able to help.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I'm sorry I missed the part where we tried to actually teach people about facts and not try to scare them into believing what others want them to with plain Ol BS. Laws are nothing but words on paper that people need to learn why not save the time and money and teach the people what they actually need to know instead of thousands of useless laws.

why can I go into a park after sunset without getting ticketed and or searched in my state that's a bigger issue in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

It most certainly is when you're buying it for someone that can't posses one.

From what I've read(not claiming to be 100%fact) , is he would have not been eligible to own a firearm. If that's the case, the Father knew that and is in fact in violation of a "straw purchase" and responsible for the mass shooting and deaths of nine.

If a firearm store is negligent in this case, I want/expect them held reliable as well.

My ENTIRE point is, if we don't start DEMANDING enforcement of our CURRENT laws, to their MAXIMUM extent, with no excuses for ANYONE, we wont change anything.

We should be DEMANDING to know who is responsible for this punk getting a firearm. Yet here we are, arguing semantics...

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I agree with you 100%.

If we COULD all agree on tightening the laws on this subject then that would make a huge difference.

Unfortunately, that will NEVER happen.

We will never be able to come together on any one issue as a whole.

The MSM will never stop brainwashing the masses with a it's propaganda.

So, where does that leave us?

S# if I know. I think we're all screwed...

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I blame Hollywood and the rap music industry for much of the perception that many grow up with - namely that using a gun can actually solve problems. That's how every cop show ends by killing the bad guy. Rap music glorifies gun violence, gangsters and misogyny and would explain many inner city crimes.

Keeping people on SSRIs away from guns is probably a good idea as well.
They are a very dangerous class of drugs.
The government has a gun control issue of their own.
Nearly 500 people killed so far this year by police.
edit on 20-6-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join