It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time we worked together yet on our "gun problem"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Instead of working together on this issue, we bicker back and forth on hyperbole and rhetoric.

I hardly consider the 2nd amendment that. If it isn't guns, it will be something else. He could have just used another weapon. What we need to do as a country is get these kids off of the SSRI's and the plethora of other popular drugs out there when they don't need them. These kids need a good old fashioned ass whooping, and people now a days are unable to discipline their kids like they were used to.
edit on 20amSat, 20 Jun 2015 09:34:48 -0700k6346920000000 by darkwingduck because: sp

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yes, simple steps...

In order to obtain a license to purchase or own firearms, one must submit to a background check, and have a full psychological screening, which must both be updated every 24 months or the licence expires, the owner is now illegally in possession..

All legal gun owners must be required to purchase and maintain liability insurance at a minimum amount of coverage. Also must be maintained and current or the licence is invalid.

All gun owners are fully financially responsible for their firearms and ammunition. And 100% liable for any damages, injuries or deaths rusulting from the use of their registered firearms, regardless of how used, or by whom...

Lastly, much tougher prison time for illegal possession of firearms.

Laws should be retroactive, anyone unwilling to go through this process is illegally in possession...

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

deranged people do not adhere to our laws

There you go, it's not a gun problem, it's a people problem.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Open carry is already legal in 45 out of 50 states. Out of the remaining ones that it's illegal in, the only one I could even remotely see changing their stance is South Carolina. New York? No. California? You can't even carry an unloaded gun in plain view. Illinois? Please, its so left leaning it's practically communist. DC? Yea, sure. Florida? No clue, but then again I doubt even Floridians know either on a day to day basis.

Why don't you just explain to me what this is all about, since you're so in the know?

That's what it is right? Debate? Conversation? Dialog?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Using that logic American and United airlines should be held responsible for 9/11.

How many laws do you need before you realize some people just want to kill some people?

edit on 20-6-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

It's a people problem. Not a gun problem. As a matter of fact, the article here claims that the shooter was on drugs. From what I read in the article, they might have been prescribed to him.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
I think we have more of a prescription medication problem.

All of these shooter crazy types are on SSRI's.

SSRI Stories

In the vast majorly of these cases the person legally should not have had a gun due to mental instability or criminal record etc., so enforcing laws already on the books can help, but one thing we need to realize is there are 310,000,000 people in America and though this resent incident was horrible it is the work of ONE deranged individual.

What do we do when a copycat deranged person decides he wants to plow a truck at high speeds though the rally in DC today and kills 3 or 4 times the number of people? When we look at our past, when weapons have been deemed illegal for the masses, the masses tend to find other weapons instead to use.

This is not a gun problem but a human nature problem that as you suggest is fuel injected with drugs that could be the tipping point between thinking and doing.

edit on 20-6-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
A long post but worth the read.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

First and foremost, I want to state that my thoughts and prayers are with the victims in this horrible tragedy. I also hope we can all (pro and anti firearm) work together on this issue.

Why would the pro firearm people even want to " work together on
the issue"? They already have what they want. And that's the way
it should stay. We just have to accept that with firearms, comes people
getting shot. In all various ways including staged events by those who
don't want people to have firearms. And make no mistake they are many
that rest their asses in seats of power.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Everything you just suggested is burdensome on millions of lawful owners.

It does nothing to address the real underlying issue of pharmaceutical mind control. Instead it makes criminals out of millions of people. Media can't address this issue. They tow the line.

And now a word from our sponsors..........

Go back to your drawing board and come up with a more precise point. Stop painting with a mop.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Yes, simple steps...

In order to obtain a license to purchase or own firearms, one must submit to a background check, and have a full psychological screening, which must both be updated every 24 months or the licence expires, the owner is now illegally in possession..

All legal gun owners must be required to purchase and maintain liability insurance at a minimum amount of coverage. Also must be maintained and current or the licence is invalid.

All gun owners are fully financially responsible for their firearms and ammunition. And 100% liable for any damages, injuries or deaths rusulting from the use of their registered firearms, regardless of how used, or by whom...

Laws should be retroactive, anyone unwilling to go through this process is illegally in possession...

Yeah, I could see where that would be effective:

[Gunwoman walks into a public place]

Customer: "Excuse me, ma'am. May I see your insurance card?"

Gunwoman: "Certainly, here you go. As you can see, I'm insured to kill up to five people per weapon per day. How many people are here today?"

Customer: "I'm sorry, ma'am. Your insurance expired last week. You're not covered."

Gunwoman: "Dang it! I just renewed my insurance but I forgot to put the new card in my wallet. Can't you just take my word for it?"

Customer: "I'm sorry, but without valid proof of insurance, you can't kill anyone here today."

Gunwoman: "Well, I live close by. What time do you close?"

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
That's an important statistic, that most gun violence is confined to a few ghettos. The national numbers make America seem prone to gun violence, when outside of those areas, it's not.
a reply to: queenofswords

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

My only question is which amendment is next? For our safety, of course...which amendment gets gutted next to keep us safe?

The Amendments.

The Amendments

The first ten amendments to the Constitution were all adopted at the same time and are collectively known as the Bill of Rights.

The 1st Amendment protects the people's right to practice religion, to speak freely, to assemble (meet), to address (petition) the government, and of the press to publish.

The 2nd Amendment protects the right to own guns. There is debate whether this is a right that protects the state, or a right that protects individuals.

The 3rd Amendment guarantees that the army cannot force homeowners to give them room and board.

The 4th Amendment protects the people from the government improperly taking property, papers, or people, without a valid warrant based on probable cause (good reason).

The 5th Amendment protects people from being held for committing a crime unless they are properly indicted, that they may not be tried twice for the same crime, that you need not be forced to testify against yourself, and from property being taken without just compensation. It also contains due process guarantees.

The 6th Amendment guarantees a speedy trial, an impartial jury, that the accused can confront witnesses against them, and that the accused must be allowed to have a lawyer.

The 7th Amendment guarantees a jury trial in federal civil court cases. This type of case is normally no longer heard in federal court.

The 8th Amendment guarantees that punishments will be fair, and not cruel, and that extraordinarily large fines will not be set.

The 9th Amendment is simply a statement that other rights aside from those listed may exist, and just because they are not listed doesn't mean they can be violated.

The 10th Amendment is the subject of some debate, but essentially it states that any power not granted to the federal government belongs to the states or to the people. See the Federalism Topic Page for more information.

The 11th Amendment more clearly defines the original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court concerning a suit brought against a state by a citizen of another state.

The 12th Amendment redefines how the President and Vice-President are chosen by the Electoral College, making the two positions cooperative, rather than first and second highest vote-getters. It also ensures that anyone who becomes Vice-President must be eligible to become President.

The 13th Amendment abolished slavery in the entire United States.

The 14th Amendment ensured that all citizens of all states enjoyed not only rights on the federal level, but on the state level, too. It removed the three-fifths counting of slaves in the census. It ensured that the United States would not pay the debts of rebellious states. It also had several measures designed to ensure the loyalty of legislators who participated on the Confederate side of the Civil War.

The 15th Amendment ensures that race cannot be used as a criteria for voting.

The 16th Amendment authorizes the United States to collect income tax without regard to the population of the states.

The 17th Amendment shifted the choosing of Senators from the state legislatures to the people of the states.

The 18th Amendment abolished the sale or manufacture of alcohol in the United States. This amendment was later repealed (erased).

The 19th Amendment ensures that gender cannot be used as a criteria for voting.

The 20th Amendment set new start dates for the terms of the Congress and the President, and clarifies how the deaths of Presidents before swearing-in would be handled.

The 21st Amendment repealed the 18th Amendment.

The 22nd Amendment set a limit on the number of times a President could be elected - two four-year terms. It has one exception for a Vice-President who assumes the Presidency after the death or removal of the President, establishing the maximum term of any President to 10 years.

The 23rd Amendment grants the District of Columbia (Washington D.C.) the right to three electors in Presidential elections.

The 24th Amendment ensured that no tax could be charged to vote for any federal office.

The 25th Amendment clarifies even further the line of succession to the Presidency, and establishes rules for a President who becomes unable to perform his duties while in office.

The 26th Amendment ensures that any person 18 or over may vote.

The 27th Amendment requires that any law that increased the pay of legislators may not take effect until after an election.

Now a few of these, were they to go the way of the dodo, we'd likely never really notice. But some of the others?

The fourth? Illegal search and seizure.

The fifth? Self incrimination.

I'm sorry, but no. Most of the laws concerning guns are unnecessary to begin with.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Well yea, but research shows that when you make gun crime extra EXTRA illegal, it stops people right?

Right?!?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Good reasoning. The First Ten Amendments are special. They are the Bill of Rights and need extra special constitutional protections.

The first 10 amendments to the Constitution make up the Bill of Rights. Written by James Madison in response to calls from several states for greater constitutional protection for individual liberties, the Bill of Rights lists specific prohibitions on governmental power.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Yes, simple steps...

Uh-huh. Right.

You going to pay for the incredible expense that would entail? Somehow I doubt it. Can you say overly burdensome?

Overly burdensome, yet again.

Really? If your car is used in the commission of a crime, are you 100% liable? What a bunch of hooey.

Sentencing guidelines are already in place. Talk to the judges. Don't take it out on law abiding citizens.

Retroactive? Really? How far? Twenty years? Fifty years? Why not go back to when guns were first invented. That way museums can pay for insurance, too.

What not just say what you want. Which is total confiscation. Please don't pretend otherwise.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yep. Super effective. Yeppers.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Even making laws super duper extra EXTRA illegal, won't help people comprehend the message I was attempting to put forth.

I know you got it, but damn, most haven't.

In my OP, I said:
I don't want my rights infringed
only us law abiding people follow laws
no laws or regulations will prevent crime
enforcing our current laws to their maximum extent needs to happen

Yet, here we are with folks thinking I want to toss out our constitutional rights, ban guns and have some liberal utopia.

I guess reading comprehension is tough on Saturdays?
edit on 20-6-2015 by KawRider9 because: because Shamrock hates guns

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I really appreciate people like you, the non-gun owners who support the 2nd Amendment. There are a lot of people who dislike guns, and then vote to restrict what they don't want for themselves. There's not a lot to love about guns. They are machines that make things die, and many people don't want such a machine. But if you truly want to protect yourself from a dangerous world, you will get one. And you're helping to preserve your option to buy one, whether you ever do or not. That's right - if they take that away, we ain't getting it back.
a reply to: Ultralight

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
America doesn't have a Gun Problem, It's a Barber Problem..

May I submit The Evidence..

It's your Barbers you need to ban, maybe then and only then this madness will stop.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join