It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right wing nutters and their fantasy of a race war

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

The problem is that when restricting speech you're risking your own ability to speak up too. What you find as hate speech today may not be hate speech tomorrow. Or worse, what is allowed today may not be tomorrow and that might be when you need it most.

Speech and language are very powerful things that most people take for granted. Words are in a sense magic. Because of language we make things that would never have existed become real. We use language to encode and create our reality just like a wizard would conjure up a mythic beast or love potion. This means we should respect it's power and it's ability to alter our reality and the minds of others.

But I think if you restrict it what you'll create in the end is Fear rather than respect for it's power. To honestly harness it's power fully we can't restrict it's use but must learn to handle it and all it comes with to truly understand what it can do for us. We are still learning it's power and what it can do for and to us. This means good and bad results but with the idea that in the end we'll be better off for it.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mojom

The problem is that when restricting speech you're risking your own ability to speak up too. What you find as hate speech today may not be hate speech tomorrow. Or worse, what is allowed today may not be tomorrow and that might be when you need it most.

Speech and language are very powerful things that most people take for granted. Words are in a sense magic. Because of language we make things that would never have existed become real. We use language to encode and create our reality just like a wizard would conjure up a mythic beast or love potion. This means we should respect it's power and it's ability to alter our reality and the minds of others.

But I think if you restrict it what you'll create in the end is Fear rather than respect for it's power. To honestly harness it's power fully we can't restrict it's use but must learn to handle it and all it comes with to truly understand what it can do for us. We are still learning it's power and what it can do for and to us. This means good and bad results but with the idea that in the end we'll be better off for it.

I routinely disagree with most of your post but, I have to give you a star for this. I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think this horrible incident is exactly as it seems...I don't think it is a (false flag)...the young man D. Root who murdered those wonderful people told the FBI he did it because he wanted to start a race war. He has chosen to be evil and full of hate...I don't think he has a mental illness either...he did the crime; now he will do the time or get the death penalty.

There are just some people is this world who are truly evil...I believe D. Root is one of them.

My heart goes out to all of the people he has hurt...and there are many...people need to wake up!...because there are more like him in society.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Well, thank you.

It's too bad about that first part though. Hopefully I can change the frequency of us being in agreement in the future. But at least we both believe in free speech so no matter what there is always a change that we can talk about it.

BTW, I really dig you in Game of Thrones!!

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: beezzer

We must stand up for hate speech.

Because one day, what you say may be considered hate speech and who will be standing up for you?

Yeah, calling people "people like you" isn't hate speech! You showed your "holier than thou" colors long ago. Demeaning and marginalizing those that have different ideas than you.

kettle...BLACK

Do you think we can't see the hate thru your clever sarcasm?

I guess I'm not allowed to have my own opinion then.

You certainly are showing your true colors.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

We must stand up for hate speech.

Because one day, what you say may be considered hate speech and who will be standing up for you?

Yeah, calling people "people like you" isn't hate speech! You showed your "holier than thou" colors long ago. Demeaning and marginalizing those that have different ideas than you.

kettle...BLACK

Do you think we can't see the hate thru your clever sarcasm?

I guess I'm not allowed to have my own opinion then.

You certainly are showing your true colors.

Ideas are fine...Opinions are welcome!!

It's the ugly way that you insult others. My colors are Red, White, And Blue. with out the snarky animosity and win at all cost attitudes. You take it over the line.
edit on 20-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yeah, I'm not very nice sometimes.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

I don't think he's evil. I don't think he's crazy either. I read his manifesto and read what he said about what he did and why.

He's not mentally challenged or dumb. He's not a genius either but he obviously has thought about all this for a while and researched his position on this stuff and where he stands.

He even admitted that he almost didn't go through with it because those people were so nice to him and welcomed him in to their group. However, he felt he had to make some kind stand or statement anyway so he did it.

So he's not just some crazy kid or someone who just want's to be evil or is evil. He seems like someone who just got a head full of bad information without challenging any of that information and then combined it with his own personal experience and bias and lost perspective. He's a kid after all and wasn't able to put things in context like an adult with more experience and he thought he really figured something out and how to deal with it.

I think he's fully aware of what he did and why. But it was bad information without verification and better judgement that eventually made him act on it.

I wouldn't doubt that he was also being encouraged and coached a little by other people online in his way of thinking making it even more difficult for him to find opposing view points.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: mojom

Regarding...some of what you said...we can agree to disagree.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
a reply to: mojom

Regarding...some of what you said...we can agree to disagree.

Which parts???

I'm not saying what he did wasn't evil. It's horrible. I'm also not saying it excuses any of it or that he shouldn't be locked up forever for it. Clearly he's not capable of being allowed in to society.

But I think saying he is just evil is too easy of a way to explain what he did. It also removes the ability to understand where the real cause came from. If it was because he's just evil then this kind of thinking will die with him. But I don't believe it was born in him. I think he learned this kind of thinking. I think under a different upbringing in a different environment he would be completely different.

I think he learned and was taught to think like he does. I think it had to grow in him and be understood by him before he would act on it. Saying it was just him being evil misses the real root of the problem and in doing so means it will keep happening until we start paying attention to what the real source of this is.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: damwel

originally posted by: Khaleesi
a reply to: christophoros

I am a white (with Native American background) conservative lesbian southern Christian (yes we do exist). This youngster does not represent me nor does he represent most of the people I know. I resent the association you have drawn to all southern white conservative Christians. Yes I said ALL because you used a broad brush. You did not say 'some' or 'most' or 'a few'. Your rant was all inclusive and it is insulting.

No offense but I think "conservative lesbian" is an oxymoron. The conservatives do absolutely nothing for you. They hate you and would lock you up and throw away the key if they could. How can you back something that is completely against you? Of course, that nut kid doesn't represent all conservatives by any means. However when you find a dyed in the wool racist, guess what? He will be a conservative and probably a tea partier.

And Ketso, I'm a liberal progressive and I am absolutely for cutting the size of government.

I've stated this before on another thread but, I'll repeat it here. A large portion of my family would most likely identify themselves as southern, conservative Christians. They all accepted and welcomed my wife with open arms. The only member of my family that has been rude and unaccepting of my wife, self identifies as a "flaming liberal". That is literally how she identifies herself. You are buying the propaganda about conservative Christians. The conservative Christians treat me and my wife with respect. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about some of the liberals.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

That's a great example and reason for not choosing to identify yourself or others by a label. Which makes things much more difficult because that means you have to handle each and every encounter from scratch. It's much quicker to simply use some form of grouping system to narrow down your options and choices. But it also has the problem of mistaken identity and false grouping.

Then again maybe that member of your family really is a "Liberal" but also just a B*tch.

edit on 20-6-2015 by mojom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatmakesyouright
I'm offended by everything you said. You generalize way too much. First of all, you link any conservative people to Fox News. Secondly, you blame Southerners.

As someone who grew up in the South, yet now lives in upstate NY, let me tell you a little secret. I know of more outright racist people in this area(NY) than I do back home.

This was true in 1976. I am not surprised to hear it continues. They love to externalize their subconscious racism onto the idea of southerners.

In the south we all grow up together, play together, go to school ... together, and move on ... together. In the Yankee north one would do well to know one's place.

THIS IS NOT HEALTHY for any Yankee and some healing is in order. If one can get a Yankee to admit their closely held belief that ''a person should know their place'' progress can be made by discussing the ''place of minorities''. Any opinion express by the Yankee after that can be exposed as racist.

But until any Yankee stops using the south as their whipping boy, realize we already healed, and examine their own institutionalized prejudices, these race stories will get worse. And they will get out of control, shattering the fragile bluff that is Washington, when it really starts to go too far. Just like the tire around the neck holocausts of South Africa.

Look at History, it has happened before, and the externalization of prejudice onto some psychological ''other'' does not end well. And just as the Jewish psychologists Freud, Jung, and Bernays projected their own fears of a holocaust onto the Germans, so is the North East projecting their fears of a race war onto the rest of the country. The German holocausts started to come true after the Jewish psychologists expressed their fear of it, and the race wars come true in Detroit, LA, etcetera... after the Yankee press expressed their fears of it.

Get a grip.

Mike

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: mojom

That's a great example and reason for not choosing to identify yourself or others by a label. Which makes things much more difficult because that means you have to handle each and every encounter from scratch. It's much quicker to simply use some form of grouping system to narrow down your options and choices. But it also has the problem of mistaken identity and false grouping.

Then again maybe that member of your family really is a "Liberal" but also just a B*tch.

Yes, she really is a liberal. "Flaming liberal" is how she actually describes herself. And yes, she is also a b*tch lol. Too bad, she was the 'cool aunt' when I was a kid lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
Yes, she really is a liberal. "Flaming liberal" is how she actually describes herself. And yes, she is also a b*tch lol. Too bad, she was the 'cool aunt' when I was a kid lol.

What do you mean 'was'? She still is!
    Beyoncé
    Kanye West
    Katy Perry
    Nicki Minaj
    Miley Cyrus
    Rita Ora
    and Diplo

... all say that the old Aunt is still the 'cool' Aunt.

/draws curtains so you don't laugh at me dancing along

Mike Grouchy

edit on 20-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Good post Mike, it offers a much needed and different perspective.

I do have to ask, out of pure curiosity, is the word "Yankee" used so often in the south as it was in your post? Honest question! I hear a lot of Brits saying that on here to describe people in the U.S., usually "yanks".

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Good post Mike, it offers a much needed and different perspective.

I do have to ask, out of pure curiosity, is the word "Yankee" used so often in the south as it was in your post? Honest question! I hear a lot of Brits saying that on here to describe people in the U.S., usually "yanks".

You got me. I left that in there as inverted bait. Nobody in the south uses the word Yankee any more, and we smile when in England and someone calls us a Yank. We know what you mean, and we accept your compliment of our resourcefulness and ingenuity.

But If someone had accused me of 'projecting' onto a 'category' of people; by using the word Yankee I would have said ''Then quit thinking with the term 'right-wing' and maybe we can have an actual conversation." /see-what-I-did-there?

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Ha! I do see what you did there. Great response.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Back to the "race war" narrative. Righties let's get one thing straight there will never be a race war. Black Americans are not going to band together and start killing whites without mercy

Heres a couple Ytubes pushing for race war. Black folks too. Just Right wing nutters ?

Even Charles Manson was trying to ignite one, deluded mind of the right wing conservative ?

I agree it wont happen but with those idiots spewing hate they might find some weak mind to do just what this little jerk did. It wont matter to the people who get killed if its a race war or not they died because of a sick mind decided to kill people.

Now Martin Luther King now that was a man of principle . God rest his soul . But Jackson and Sharpton these clowns are race baiters. They in it for the cash. Stir it up photo op rake in some cash move to the next crisis . King tried to bring us together which I dont see these clowns doing that. Which is what is needed right now. I want to see a leader like MLK step out and carry his torch. Those 2 previous clowns aint it.

It's not to me it feels like we took a time machine back into the sixties only we have modern technology.

Oh yes the 60s with indoor toilets for whites and stinky out houses for blacks , garden hose for blacks and a chilled water fountain for whites air conditioning in the white side of a restaurant and blacks eat out back if served at all. The laundromat was split also they didnt allow use of same machines back of the bus . Yup just like back in the 60s. And you know what it hurts to remember how bad it was back then when you live threw it is different than some one telling you about it.

You are mistaken on some historical notes. The Right Wing Conservatives were abortionist , The Republican party was anti slavery , and period newspapers even referenced a slang for the Democrats as slaveocrats because of their support of slavery. The Right Wing Conservatives dream of ALL MEN ARE EQUAL that was a major factor of the formation of the Republican after the fall of the Whig party. so why would they be scared of a race war considering they were fighting for their freedom ?

But you Righties need to understand black people don't hate you they hate the system we are under not you.

Hmm I dont think thats the message you get when you get off on the wrong subway exit in Chicago . or various other cities where its just not safe for the lone whitey to travel alone.

My fellow ATSer you have some valid points in your post entwined with hate for Right Wing Conservatives . And some historical misconceptions. The enemies of Americans are on both sides of the aisle not just right or left.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join