It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(terrible experience) Can someone help me work out what happened to me.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I had a few bouts with "Sleep Paralysis", three that I remember clearly, and all were easily in the top five most frightening experiences of my life.

One of my earliest memories is one of these waking paralysis episodes. I had been asleep, and woke when I felt something was watching me. In the hall, two shadowy figures that seemed to be far too large to get in the room made their way in and began to surround me on my bed. I tried to yell for my father, whom I knew was awake because of his TV, but nothing came out. It was as if my voice had been snuffed on command. Oddly enough, I don't remember trying to move that time, though I finally did slam my eyes shut . . . which woke me.

The next one was alot more disturbing, I clearly remember being tormented during the dream. I was very near being ground into my stucco ceiling, levitating by an unknown means, while some dark thing watched in the corner. I tried to yell, tried to move, but was unable to do either. When it came underneath me, I could feel the stucco pinching me, and the pressure on my back built until I couldn't breath. This one ended with me screaming.

The final one I've had (I hope to never again experience one in this lifetime) happened very oddly. I woke, tried to get to my doorway, looked for the lightswitch and couldn't find it. A sense of dread began to build and I noticed that the wall had no light switch. I couldn't find a handle on the door either. I began to panic, reaching down, I firmly grasped something that I knew was not in my upstairs room, but down in the basement.

At this point, sanity quickly fled.

I was certain that a hoard of things just beyond my view were set to pounce when the paralysis set in. Much to my distress, the feeling of being watched and surrounded grew worse. Finally, I could move my hand and found the light switch.

This one was weird though, I did have that item from the downstairs den, which I belive was a video game console controller (probably from the NES) firmly in my hand when I woke. To this day I'm not sure if I sleepwalked during that last one, or somethign more sinister was at work.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MankoW
Very interesting. Sleep paralysis happens, it is common to have feeling of presence in the room, presence of entity which is accompanied with a fear.
I once heard voice saying "We killed him" I don't know who "we" is, but "him" surely was me. Terrifying!
I believe you, only for I had myself scared by something like that once before. I wouldn't believe you and even would have thought you're mentaly derranged if haven't such an episode.
Reading on sites about that came later.

Does it not seem odd to dismiss a paranormal presence with "it's normal" even though there is very specific detail in audio, visual, and other sensory presences? How did you know the 'him' was you? You felt it or understood it. It was accompanied by a voice that included an act of ultimate violence. How is any of that normal? These are not thoughts people 'normally' have, nor does the brain 'normally' function this way. Speaking from experiencing both, it's one thing to seize up, not be able to move, or undergo a panic attack and it's another to receive directed communication. Specifically and scientifically, how does this occur without using "the brain is a big mystery" theory or "it's just a chemical imbalance"?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I think, those who give such credit to their dreams, must be quite paranoid to overexplain them with such vast imagination. I know that mostly old men and grandma females are into their own dreams, because they grew up in a less advanced world, well that's okay. But here on ATS, in the world of technology, people just cannot find proper answers for questions about their dreams???! Well, come on ppl, please!!! When I was playing Diablo II at the first time, I had sick dreams with daemons and haunted creatures. But when I woke up, I knew exactly the whereabouts. I wasn't paranoid that a daemon is watching me from behind ready to eat me!!

Wake up, guys! Discussing your dreams is like discussing things that never happened, and will never happen...!!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vertu
When I was playing Diablo II at the first time, I had sick dreams with daemons and haunted creatures. But when I woke up, I knew exactly the whereabouts. I wasn't paranoid that a daemon is watching me from behind ready to eat me!!

Then you had a dream, congratulations. I would not be so quick to template my imagination upon the actual experience of others. You don't see the effect of your Devil II game and the influences thereof?

[edit on 29-12-2004 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Then you had a dream, congratulations. I would not be so quick to template my imagination upon the actual experience of others. You don't see the effect of your Devil II game and the influences thereof?

I had many dreams throughout my life, believe me! Some were scary, some were nice. But I never assigned them to anything, they are just dreams, nothing more. Even IF there are any odd occurances to anyone during dreaming or wakeup, first a proper explanation is required for that. Not the way some folks do, that they dream somthing and they are frightened to death because of that!! Furthermore, if this happens to more people and they believe them, and even post their stories to a forum, now that's really odd. Conclusion: too many believers are here!!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This happened to me quite often(more than once is toooo often) when I was a later teenager. Not only to me, but to a few of my close friends. Mine tended to happen during a time of lessening faith. I am still not nearly as strong in faith as I would like to be.

It was always a dark, horrible feeling. I knew I was asleep, but not really asleep. I KNEW I was not awake and if I could just come to full waking, it would go away. It was a black, evil presence pressing down on my chest, like total blackness above me. Felt like the life was being sucked out of me. A strong heartbeat was all I could hear and it was just a horrible awful negative feeling.

Saying "Our Lord's Prayer" over and over always made it go away. Even when I could wake myself up, I would slip back asleep into the dream. The prayer was the only thing that allowed me to actually sleep.

Yes, it could easily just be an ugly dream. I can think of 3 friends who had the same dream and one of the friends had the thing talk to her. That was truly scary to hear. The rest of the dream was the same. She also had something she said was the size of a mouse that would run up and down her down comforter. She could see the indents being made and feel it, but not see anything. She was not a person given to being silly. She believed what she told me.

Makes you wonder when so many recount the same "sleep paralysis" dream.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej

You know, if people talk about dreams, they tend to add few details that never actually happened, or they didn't dream of that at all. Or they were dreaming of similar things in the past, but that particular conversation brought them to surface.

Dreams mean nothing at all. If someone believes in dreams, his life can be in real trouble. Furthermore, most people having regular bad dreams, they have a very dirty lifestyle. No wonder, they always have bad dreams. I am talking about members of the underworld (drugs, crime, etc).

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Mine tended to happen during a time of lessening faith. I am still not nearly as strong in faith as I would like to be.

Nice observation!

It was always a dark, horrible feeling. I knew I was asleep, but not really asleep. I KNEW I was not awake and if I could just come to full waking, it would go away. It was a black, evil presence pressing down on my chest, like total blackness above me. Felt like the life was being sucked out of me. A strong heartbeat was all I could hear and it was just a horrible awful negative feeling.

Sounds familiar from hearing from a friend of mine as well. My experieces were different, but related.

Saying "Our Lord's Prayer" over and over always made it go away. Even when I could wake myself up, I would slip back asleep into the dream. The prayer was the only thing that allowed me to actually sleep.

Nice work clearing the noise with the positive truth
. Try open prayer as well and ask specifically for protection or to dismiss the evil. Seems to be more effective when I had similar issues.

She believed what she told me.

Because it happened. A person doesn't want to sound like a lunatic. They want to be normal, but when abnormal things happen you tend to notice and pay close attention.

Anyone who has experienced all three - sleep paralysis, dreams, and 'other occurences', can tell the difference.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Mine tended to happen during a time of lessening faith. I am still not nearly as strong in faith as I would like to be.

You will never be certain of that faith, because you don't have the knowledge/skill to rule out disturbing factors. That's why you can't understand many things, and you keep searching for answers. If you would know people's behaviour, you would be extremely certain in your will, without doubts.

Some people are capable to read another people's thoughts, and may be way ahead of you in every single step. All you notice of this , is paranoia and behaviour disorder. To avoid all this, you can only get to know others better, before they get to know you more. After that, you can hardly try with any success.

Investigating faith is just too easy job, and it's a very out-of-date operation. These days it is not enough to just believe in someone, because people change quickly day by day. So if you strongly believe another person's actions (even your brother/sister's), a slight influence upon them can change everything right the other way around.

Those days, when every reasonable person was living under strict rules, the faith had powerful meaning. Now: even a disturbing music can turn you into a killer!!!

Think about that!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I know why my faith ebbs and wanes. I am lazy. I am too lazy to do the work that is required to become closer to God. It can be rationalized in many ways, but this *is my truth*. Discussions like this always spur me to look closer to what I believe. I know I am not going to change my beliefs, but I do need to deepen them.

Vertu, you may have no faith, and that is your right. I do not have a problem with that. To patently say "You will never be certain of that faith, because you don't have the knowledge/skill to rule out disturbing factors. That's why you can't understand many things, and you keep searching for answers. If you would know people's behaviour, you would be extremely certain in your will, without doubts."

I am not searching for answers, or questioning people's behavior. I KNOW the feeling of being deep in faith. It is a wonderful warm loving feeling. I am not believing in people, I am talking about believing in God. There is no change there. Yes, people change, God doesn't.

My lack of faith is due only to the lack of emphasis I have put on it in MY life. No more, no less. I don't question its validity.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I am not searching for answers, or questioning people's behavior. I KNOW the feeling of being deep in faith. It is a wonderful warm loving feeling. I am not believing in people, I am talking about believing in God. There is no change there. Yes, people change, God doesn't.

My lack of faith is due only to the lack of emphasis I have put on it in MY life. No more, no less. I don't question its validity.

You don't need to turn my post against me, it wasn't the reason why I made my comment. I do have faith, and it is extremely strong, but on the other hand, I keep my thoughts on a sensible path. You believe in your God, I believe in my God. It is to respect other people's belief, says the Bible (probably you know that).

In your last post, you were pointing to your own faith towards individuals, not to God. That was clear. It is why I made my post. I strongly believe, that these days it is impossible to cosider people faithful on a long term basis, because everyone is influenced by several impact daily or monthly, and it is easy to turn a person against you, who once loved you and trusted you. What's the protection against it? Probably a coservative behaviour, or a very close relationship and regular contact. This is today's way of normal life. It is how this world operates.

Probably my opinion is very disturbing, but I'm among those people who face daily challenge with people in real life, and that encourages me to build strong defense system in my behaviour, right against disturbing influence. Those people who are protected by their warm loving family , can hardly require any defense against people. That's natural.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I am looking for where I was referencing my faith toward other people. It may have been read into what I wrote, but it wasn't what I was trying to say. I honestly am not trying to turn anything against you, and I certainly respect other's opinions and beliefs. Doesn't mean I have to agree, but I respect that they are valid to them.

You may be speaking from a place that I am just not understading. I like most people. If I don't, I just do not hang out with them. Makes life easy. I have good friends, a good husband and great kids. I don't have alot of real complaints. Life may not be perfect but it doesn't suck.

Sorry if I came off as attacking you.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You may be speaking from a place that I am just not understading. I like most people. If I don't, I just do not hang out with them. Makes life easy. I have good friends, a good husband and great kids. I don't have alot of real complaints. Life may not be perfect but it doesn't suck.

Sorry if I came off as attacking you.

I don't say life is suck, and I'm not speaking from a place you can't understand. It is my private decision that I face challenges in life, and they have their own consequences. I am aware of that. People who do nothing, definately have no reason to face good/bad consequences of their actions. That's clear.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
it's funny cuz i had the same type of sleeps latly, its like i see something very scary like seeing my brother dieing or my other brother fall into this long ass hole n in both time when i wanted to SCream nothing came out of my Mouth i mean nothing then after a bit i wake up n see that the tears r coming from my eyes it was so scary n strang, well for u that readin it maybe its even funny, but dont judge it if u didnt expriencce it. after that dream i start being nice to my lil brothers, i think of it as a sign to be happy n make em happy n love my brothers more cuz u no, so try to love things be happy and always b4 sleep tryin to empty ur mind focus on a night with alot of stars

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Def. sleep paralysis! It happens to me about twice a year. In your mind you are about 90 percent awake but your body does not react to the commands your brain is trying to send in your paralasis. its almost like a rem one but lighter from what i know. next time it happens to you, no matter how weird it is or what you are "hearing" or feeling, that presence by your bed, just attempt to go back to sleep and you will wake up. it works for me everytime. dont fight it because it pulls you deeper into your paralasis, much like they say comas are like. reply if you have any questions.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
I will make this as short as possible.

Ok, i was asleep but not dreaming sleep [..]I woke up (Or so i thought) and i was lying in my bed with my arms by my side[...] i just felt a certain presence for some reason, so i started to get paranoid and felt a sense of...lets say fright [...]Now the more i thought about what could be there the more i got scared, then suddenly i heard a voice say to me " You owe me your life" which sounded like it came from the bottom of my bed and the tone of voice was very disturbing.[...]So i tried to scream as loud as i could, but what came out of my mouth can only be described as a whisper,

Sleep paralysis.
Sounds very much like sleep paralysis.

I then tried to lift my arms up so i could get the hell out of my room but i just could not move then no matter how hard i tried.

Especially that.

I have also read something about "sleep paralysis" which seems to be what this is but im not sure.

As far as I understand there is no 'cure' for it. What happened is a product of your mind, its entirely created by you, and perhaps ancilliary things like the culture you've been brought in and what not. In theory anyway, there is nothing to be 'freaked out' about.

Thanks for any help it will be really appreciated because it has been on my mind for a few weeks now.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by MankoW
Very interesting. Sleep paralysis happens, it is common to have feeling of presence in the room, presence of entity which is accompanied with a fear.
I once heard voice saying "We killed him" I don't know who "we" is, but "him" surely was me. Terrifying!
I believe you, only for I had myself scared by something like that once before. I wouldn't believe you and even would have thought you're mentaly derranged if haven't such an episode.
Reading on sites about that came later.

Does it not seem odd to dismiss a paranormal presence with "it's normal" even though there is very specific detail in audio, visual, and other sensory presences?

Not since dreams themselves are very specific, vivid, and realistic. And especially not since it happens to other people, even under research conditions.

How did you know the 'him' was you?

Since in a dream or hallucination, you are controlling everyone and everything in it, ( in a sense you are everyone in it) he knew because that was what it was.

It was accompanied by a voice that included an act of ultimate violence. How is any of that normal?

Murder/death/killing? In a sense, they are very normal.

These are not thoughts people 'normally' have, nor does the brain 'normally' function this way. Speaking from experiencing both, it's one thing to seize up, not be able to move, or undergo a panic attack and it's another to receive directed communication.

Hmm, you should have some insight into this, of course, you are, in a sense, making an 'error'. YOu beleive you received preternatural communication, but there is the possibility that it wasn't.

Specifically and scientifically, how does this occur without using "the brain is a big mystery" theory or "it's just a chemical imbalance"?

There is a neurologist who had an ecstatic vision one day, apparently while waiting for the train or something. He decided to investigate it. I think he is the same one who has a machine that induces similiar ecstatic/beuatific visions in some people, visions that are thouroughly convincing, even tho they know its an experiment, they come away (or at least many) with a feeling of profundity. Of course, this doesn't 'disprove' any visions in particular, and indeed nothing could, but it does show that there is some sort of mechanism that can cause them naturally.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Methinks you dismiss too much of reality with 'it can be explained by science'. Science is great for explaining things by reason, however there are a lot of unreasonable things going on. Keeping one's ears open to the unreasonable things can help in understanding the 'why' of what's going on beyond science. Science in this case tends to shrug and walk away. How does that help anyone? It doesn't. At all. In fact, the more you study science, the more you start to become afraid because you realize your significance in space and time is nothing. My point is, science may help us cure the body for a little while, but does nothing for the soul or eternity. In fact, science did NOTHING to help cure my problems in these so called 'physical issues'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join