It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Source Family - Documentary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Today was incredibly rainy and dull. That being the mood of the day, I decided to watch a movie on the couch with all of the animals. I decided on Jodi Wille's 'The Source Family', which documents the rise and fall of Jim Baker's commune, some say cult, The Source Family, which sprang out of his health food restaurant in the early 70's.

I was so intrigued by the story. As a generally anti social person who actually loves people, parties, etc. I could very much see my 16-17-18 year old self getting pulled into an emerging commune such as Jim Baker's. After watching the movie, I totally get the motivations of the members. Even though some ended up broken, many went on to enjoy very fruitful lives.

I hate to spoil the documentary for anyone who hasn't seen it and would like to, but I would like to ask the question of other ATS members: What about you? Would your young self delight in living a simple, commune life, with a rich 'Father' who kept you housed and fed and served as a spiritual leader? Would your older self? Do you have experience as part of a commune or 'family'?

If your opinion is ..what a bunch of hippy idiots, I get that too; but, to each their own.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Has it come out? I had that film on my 'to watch' list when I first saw the trailer.
Would you reccomend it?

There are certainly a few aspects of that kind of life that attract me. Like the self sufficiency and off the grid dream. (though I don't know to what degree these particular people were self sufficient) And the community aspect.
But I also have a hard time sometimes accepting authority, and I don't know if my pride would let me be at peace if there was a 'father figure' who runs the place.
But I have a fascination about the 60's and early 70's, sometimes I wonder what would it have been like being young in that era, and would have liked to have experienced that kind of counter-culture.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

I would highly recommend it. I believe it's on Netflix right now, so it should be available through some other venues as well.

I have a fascination with that era, too.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Looks like you can watch it on Hulu, www.hulu.com/watch/575647

there is age verification, which didn't work for me so I am barred, I'm almost a senior citizen.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

How would they even verify your age? So strange.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The part where he goes off that Hawaiian cliff... Pretty strange... but cool, I guess? I enjoyed the documentary.

It's an example of a situation where all the power is given to one or a few... Surely you can deduce where I'm goin with that! (It failed)
Also, the women were subjugated.
Pretty spacey, a lot of those people.
The scene at the high school was telling. Students are like "who's this whackadoo"

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

I thought the high school part was insane. What high school today would allow , essentially, a cult leader to come and sing to the students. Especially if they're going to be calling for new members?

He definitely had a great way to go, though. All in all, as a man, I think he lived a very interesting life.

The women were definitely subjugated after a time. It didn't ever explain why he changed his philosophy on that.

new topics

top topics

join