It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart Says He Can't Tell Jokes After Charleston Church Shooting

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: seasoul

So you agree that the guys in garland, in paris, and in aussie were all not terrorist then?

I'm just examining this incident.

Here you had ten people, nine were good and one was bad.

It seems to exemplify a fact that for the most part, humanity is good.

Unfortunately, it's just a few rotten people that ruin it for the rest of us.

Now we've got nine good people who are dead, an untold number that are grieving, and a country buzzing with the angry racist meme.

What's physically left is nothing more than a psychopath, who's now posing for mug shots with a stupid smirk on his evil face.

One can label it racism or terrorism, but in fact it's really nothing more than one psychopath acting out his shallow perverted desires.

edit on 19-6-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This will probably be a wildly unpopular opinion.

It's his freaking JOB to tell jokes. The show isn't the news. It takes snippets from current events and pokes fun. He doesn't need to comment about this, it's not the sort of thing that should be talked about if you're doing a freaking comedy show. It doesn't need to be acknowledged by everyone, at all times.

It's a horrible and tragic event, and it's left me feeling sick, but perhaps some people who were feeling sick and awful wanted to watch a comedy show to get their mind off of it. I'm sure he already had material. Use that, then at the end say something poignant about what's happened recently.

I don't know if Sesame Street is still a thing, but I'm using it. After some nonsense about letters and numbers Big Bird comes on the screen. His beak is not the perky pecker it usually is. It's flaccid. He starts talking, "OK kids, we were going to teach you about counting, but the vampire offed himself due to recent events, and I'm not feeling very plucky."

Do the show how it's supposed to be done. If you're really so conceited you think other people aren't feeling awful and it's your job to tell everyone YOU feel awful so they know, do it at the end. Do a heartfelt thing at the end of the show. I don't care if you're sad dude, we ALL are. It just seems like grandstanding. Hey, John Stewart is sad, this must actually be a big deal. It IS a big deal, but does he do it every time a certain amount of people are killed? There wouldn't be a show.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LoverBoy

Pitcavage said a patch with orange, white and blue stripes on the upper right side of Roof's jacket is the flag of South Africa's Apartheid government. The patch below it is the flag of the former white-controlled country of Rhodesia, which later became Zimbabwe, he added.

Those are what everyone is talking about.
He was not with those orgs obviously, but seems he wanted to promote them.
And they are nothing to promote.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Well with the statement you said before it would be pretty simple to answer that question.

I do agree that this incident shows how pathetic we humans can get.

But to ignore an aspect of the case, here it is racism, is a dis-justice IMO.

We can't keep talking about how it is in the past when it is clearly not.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I think when we decide to murder the murders it is likely ensuring that another act like such will take place.

It would be different if we just left the decision up to the family if they want to do it but when we collectively kill them it creates an energy that reverberates through time until it finds another person to fill the spot of serial murderer.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
Ah I see thanks. I know there are many neo nazi groups here as well as the black panthers. I didn't know if he was a part of one of the neo nazi organizations.

Terrorist? Im not sure. If he was part of one of the terror organizations then I would say definitely. I definitely say psychopath racist murderer.

The terrorists in Paris were affiliated with Al Qaida in Yemen, which is a terror organization.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

With all due respect, to begin composing an exaggerated racism and/or terrorism meme on a national level, based on the actions of a single psychopath, is to attempt the construction of a massive foreboding mountain out of a miserable mole-hill.

edit on 19-6-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I see your point I really do. I agree the guy is a psychopathic killer. With what has been portrayed so far though by witnesses during the shooting, it would seem that his motive, WAS racism.

I know the racism card gets played constantly by people to the point where it becomes watered down. This though, truly seems right now, as if his his actions stemmed from his racist ideology. Whether psychopathic or not.

I do think the terrorist bit is a stretch but again, this is my opinion, not fact.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Racism is very much alive and well. We really haven't moved far forward from the civil rights movement of Dr. King. We've simply swept it under the rug. People still tell racist jokes, just in private. People still would rather socialize, hire, marry and live next to people of their own skin color.

We've intellectualized racism, and convinced ourselves it's gone -- no, it's just hiding in the closet. It's the big ugly gorilla in the room that none of us want to talk about, and pretend isn't really there.

In some quiet, predominately white suburban neighborhood, a housewife worries her property value will decrease as she sees a large black family move in next door. After moving to a new town in the south, a white father investigates private schools for his daughter, as public schools do poorly/have low funding/are full of poverty-striken minorities. This type of thing still happens on a daily basis folks, absolutely.

So only white people are racist?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

There is nothing being exaggerated here...
He wore that patches, told the woman he why he was doing it and said he wanted to start a race wars.
This guy had an ideology, it is rather clear.

We can drop the terrorism angle, but the racism is without a doubt there.
a reply to: LoverBoy
Even without those affiliations people would call what happened terrorism, just like in garland.
And those affiliations are not entirely solid either.

If those attacks are not just demented people killing, then not sure how this one can be.

But I will drop it for now.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

How did you get that out of what Mystic said?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Because every single example he used were white people being racist. "White housewife in white neighborhood." "White father."

And looking for a good school for your kid is racist now and only white people do that?
The whole post was racist.
edit on 19-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

No we aren't entirely far apart. We all perceive things as different. I may not perceive him as a terrorist but you may. At this point I believe either stance could be justified either way in some form or fashion.

I do however completely agree with you that in this case it seems racism played a major role in orchestrating this catastrophe. Whether mentally ill or just plain stupid, something somewhere was twisted and and formed into building racist beliefs in this guy, which in turn he acted on in an evil manner.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Yes it was examples of white people being racist, which is the context of the event this thread is around.

Just fail to see where it says that only white people can be racist.

And no looking for a better school is not, but if you base that solely on not wanting to be around minorities then I would say ya it is.

Where did it say that all white people do that?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: SubTruth

The racial divide grows every time someone complains about us talking about the racial issue in this country instead of talking about ways to fix it.

Oh, you must mean like Obama, you nailed him there.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
When I travel the US from state to state I hope and wish, people just see me as a person not a "XYZ" person. I don´t care what or who you are, to me you are human and I´ll treat you with respect. I don´t want people to look at me funny, or give me the feeling i´m not wanted here. I want to go everywhere I want in this country like every white person can. But sadly, I have to watch myself. So I walk with my eyes open and hope I don´t run into any people that think i´m some type of monster.

I love nature, so I travel through rural parts of the country to see the beauty of our national parks. The majority of the people I meet are just very kind and loving. But there is also the opposite. I just wish that I didn't have to worry about racism in the year 2015.

It truly makes me sad....

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
So which one of us was behind the teleprompt? Not me

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Krazysh0t I like that you at times find him to 'leftist', yet can appreciate some of his reflections on our national, well not only national, but human situations. There are so many who just poo poo him and count him a pinko and that to me just smacks of stupidity.

For me, it was Jon Stewart who mouthed the defining words concerning the fall of the towers. On that night he came on, as you point out above and had no jokes, no funny stuff to relay. He spoke only to the highest of our American principles, only to the fullest of America's heart and spoke for us all, left, right and all between.

Yea well just go to any major city with a Martin Luther King Drive and just look at all the killing that takes place near those street signs.

Truth is John just cant wait to indict unrelated issues, expand the thing to political usefulness of his political sort.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Because every single example he used were white people being racist. "White housewife in white neighborhood." "White father."

And looking for a good school for your kid is racist now and only white people do that?
The whole post was racist.

Around here and certainly elsewhere black have been fleeing the city for the suburban white schools and neighborhoods.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasoul

With all due respect, to begin composing an exaggerated racism and/or terrorism meme on a national level, based on the actions of a single psychopath, is to attempt the construction of a massive foreboding mountain out of a miserable mole-hill.

Obama is spreading the political net of blame now to include congress and the NRA. Everyone should know by now that the NRA is attacked simply because they advocated for the 2nd amendment along the classical american constitutional philosophy. The progressives like nothing that advocates for the constitution. In fact that POTUS blames the NRA in the same breath as he condemns a majority republican held house is all anyone needs to know to determine is impetus.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join