It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart Says He Can't Tell Jokes After Charleston Church Shooting

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: SubTruth

Yet, just a few days ago a white racist walked into a church and killed 9 black people, because they were black, because he felt they were taking over the country and raping white women and all his scary facts about black people seems to have come from people and sites on the internet.

We aren't supposed to talk about that? We aren't supposed to talk about that the fact that racism can turn deadly? Clearly racism is not in the past. You can try to hide from it... no one will stop you. Some of the rest of us will choose to confront it.

Yea but this is not the tip of the iceberg or anything. Most of the country has moved well on down the race road.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Wookiep

That Colorado shooting was talked about for days in the media.

Hi Kali!

I guess that's true, but I live in the Springs, so I figured it was only covered to death here at the local level. I do remember a lot of coverage here locally, so thanks for the correction.

So, even though you may well be correct on this, shootings HAVE happened involving white, "evangelical" churches. Can we at least agree on that basic fact? That's what I was trying to point out, regarding the poster I was responding to whom seemed to think otherwise.

Thanks again for correcting me on the coverage part though regarding the Colorado incident!
(star for you)
edit on 21-6-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

What part of the country to do you live in that has moved "Well on down the race road"?
edit on 21-6-2015 by Leonidas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This thread is so pointless, racism will always exist, always. This isn't a race issue its a mental health issue. People have there opinions, whether its race, nationality, sex or religion whatever. Its the human condition. The best you can do is TRY not to be one of them.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anubis259
This thread is so pointless, racism will always exist, always. This isn't a race issue its a mental health issue. People have there opinions, whether its race, nationality, sex or religion whatever. Its the human condition. The best you can do is TRY not to be one of them.

If mental health is an issue then it is not a matter of choice or trying not to be mentally ill. A simple suggestion - aiding the mentally ill. First of all.

Secondly - if aiding those among you that aren't mentally well is too much trouble (it would mean tax money going to help those in need - god forbid) at least deny them access to firearms for the well-being of the rest of the community.

That is a touchy subject in American culture I understand - and it is not my place to criticize it. But I wonder and ask - is the freedom of everyone owning a gun without any sort of regulation worth all the victims throughout american history? This is not a loaded question - I really want to understand how these so many events reflect on those that support absolute freedom in gun ownership.

Also I want to understand the logic behind how a black person being killed when unarmed for selling cigarettes or for running away, or for talking back to the police is acceptable and cops have a hard job so all is excused... and then a white person mass murders black people in a church and suddenly every cop in sight is extremely professional in the way they take the murderer into custody. It is a fair question and an important one I think. I would like to understand.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Stewart just being a good propagandists and playing his role for our god-king Hussein obozo. He and the media need to balkanize dumbed down slaves so we don't notice the coke head in chief and the globalists selling out what's left of the country. Keep slaves focused on the tribal issues so they ignore the reality around them. Stewarts another worthless mouth piece whore.

But hey, lets all focus on the different color skin we have because the media says that's important, never mind congress gave away our sovereignty last week......

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: pyramid head

Do you disguise your speech in innuendos and made up words because you truly do not want to be understood or simply because you are hoping there is someone out there that will understand those coded insults are an actual opinion?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTrueFiction

Do you disguise your speech in innuendos and made up words because you truly do not want to be understood or simply because you are hoping there is someone out there that will understand those coded insults are an actual opinion?

I didn't really "disguise" anything......
I thought it was pretty simple, if you are referring to my names for the demon king Hussein obozo, that's just "gallows humor", thought most people would figure that out.

I could make it simpler I guess, so here goes....

Stewart feeds people white house approved talking points

People focus on talking points because its the majority of the "information" they are fed on various media outlets

The government uses this old Roman tactic of tribalism to divert attention away from the fact that the US government is doing such heinous and inhumane things like funding and supporting ISIS.

Thought my opinion was pretty clear and obvious. Considering the president is a murdering psychopath, I think the names I used were a little "light" as far as im concerned.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: pyramid head

originally posted by: InTrueFiction

I didn't really "disguise" anything......
I thought it was pretty simple, if you are referring to my names for the demon king Hussein obozo, that's just "gallows humor", thought most people would figure that out.

I could make it simpler I guess, so here goes....

Stewart feeds people white house approved talking points

I would not be surprised but is it an accusation based on proof or opinion?

People focus on talking points because its the majority of the "information" they are fed on various media outlets

I agree with you absolutely.

The government uses this old Roman tactic of tribalism to divert attention away from the fact that the US government is doing such heinous and inhumane things like funding and supporting ISIS.

If there is proof of that everyone in the world needs to know it not just me - everyone needs to know the US government supports ISIS.

Thought my opinion was pretty clear and obvious. Considering the president is a murdering psychopath, I think the names I used were a little "light" as far as im concerned.

I understand it better now. Thank you for clarifying it for me.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Jon Stewart, said "nothing will change". Does that imply gun control?

Come on man, what about the drug, suboxone, he was taking? How about other mass shooters that were on psychotropic drugs.

Secondly, what is with this thread? I thought ATS users put a little more thought into their comments..
edit on 21-6-2015 by blueman12 because: sentence fix

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: pyramid head

Stewart just being a good propagandists and playing his role for our god-king Hussein obozo. He and the media need to balkanize dumbed down slaves so we don't notice the coke head in chief and the globalists selling out what's left of the country. Keep slaves focused on the tribal issues so they ignore the reality around them. Stewarts another worthless mouth piece whore.

But hey, lets all focus on the different color skin we have because the media says that's important, never mind congress gave away our sovereignty last week......

Are you for real?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
double post, eh?

edit on 21-6-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Swurve

Pft, can't even be a jerk on ATS!?

Tyranny I do say!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
More blacks get shot or killed in Chicago at around a weekly basis.

Did he address that, in all fairness?

No he didn't.

But "Black lives matter".

But when you can't point the finger, black lives don't matter.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
Why is Jon Stewart so sad about this but not about how our government arming/funding ISIS or all the millions our government has made suffer in the middle east. What happen was tragic but lots of other places around the world see worse stuff happen.

It took awhile before I felt like commenting on this thread since I had only read the monologue, it has a different tone listening to it.

Anyways, Stewart gets into this type of stuff all the time. He does it on his show and off his show he goes out and debates others about these things.

His point towards the end of the monologue was great. In South Carolina they fly the confederate flag, they name their streets and schools after confederate generals, the history period they reminisce about is the days of slavery. Yet somehow it's the white person in that atmosphere who feels like they've lost their country rather than all of the blacks and other minorities who supposedly stand equal under the law.

originally posted by: Domo1
Do the show how it's supposed to be done. If you're really so conceited you think other people aren't feeling awful and it's your job to tell everyone YOU feel awful so they know, do it at the end. Do a heartfelt thing at the end of the show. I don't care if you're sad dude, we ALL are. It just seems like grandstanding. Hey, John Stewart is sad, this must actually be a big deal. It IS a big deal, but does he do it every time a certain amount of people are killed? There wouldn't be a show.

Many comedians have come out and said it's hard, nearly impossible to do their jobs right after a national tragedy. In Stewarts case he's burnt out. The constant dysfunctional state of politics, the dumb games, a media that's complicit in enabling the skull drudgery. He just doesn't want to do it anymore, and in his monologue he says as much. He has less than 6 weeks left before he's gone, and he just can't find it in himself to sit there and try and laugh and pretend we don't have these deep and systemic issues gong on.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I feel similarly to you with regard to him. Personally I think the primary flaw in Stewart's general worldview is that he has a tendency to imagine political and economic issues as top-down created problems stemming from a few corrupt individuals. I'm not saying this isn't ever actually the case, but more often than not these things stem from a complex combination of many factors and many players acting individualistically and with motivations unrelated to the problems that unexpectedly arise. The crash of 2008 is a great example of this. The war in Syria is another good example.

Having said that, I do believe that Stewart's intellectual prowess, wealth of knowledge, sense of the state of the country and his ability to connect with much of the American public is often underestimated by far to many people who never bother to watch the show anyway.

Though I may not always agree with him, I will sorely miss him. Despite that, I can't wait to see what's up his sleeve in the future. I think the best of his career still has yet to come.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I have seen progress in racial relations in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's but not since Obama became President.
Is that just my perception or do others feel the same?

It has been my experience that racists use the election of Obama as proof that racism doesn't exist. He got elected, therefore it's clearly not an issue. Since it's not an issue, it's reinforcement that their current behavior is ok.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Squidleepie

We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if he became a public speaker if he didn't go back to stand up.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Jon Stewart, said "nothing will change". Does that imply gun control?

Come on man, what about the drug, suboxone, he was taking? How about other mass shooters that were on psychotropic drugs.

Secondly, what is with this thread? I thought ATS users put a little more thought into their comments..

That's the POINT he's trying to make. The media and politicians will react the SAME as they always do and implement and say knee jerk things, but none of it will actually go towards fixing anything. The crowd will cheer, because it looks like people are doing things, but in reality we all know it won't work. Stewart is lamenting the textbook response that will happen that won't address ANY of the real issues.

If you had put some thought into your response you would have realized that was what he was getting at.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join