It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autonomous robot arms to 3D-print a bridge in Amsterdam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
hi guys,

made a search for this on ATS, didn't find a similar thread so thought I would share.
Pretty cool... and a bit scary as well hehe.
I always thought there were a bright side and a dark side to Rapid prototyping technologies and 3D printing.

autonomous robot arm to 3D print a bridge in Amsterdam

Bright side: it alows amazing things to be done, especially in the R&D area. allows searchers to go faster, concepts to be foolproofed and solutions applied instantly to serious issues (prosthetics)...
also a great tool for serious entrepreneurs and ingeneers.

Dark side: all the "everyone will have a 3D printer at home very soon" thing goign on. I mean we can't even deal with industrial waste and mass consumption bi-products and packaging wastes...
If everyone starts printing his 3D effigie self portrait and creating plastic bits everywhere for the sake of it I think it sucks.

Also now that I see this i can't help but seing a grim self replicating robotic "we don't need no humans no more" future. my slightly dystopian brain couldn't avoid "making a bridge" betwen this video and this video

edit on 19-6-2015 by Logiciel because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2015 by Logiciel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Logiciel

With the advent of nanotech and 3D printing
the world is likely to see a new micro-level
industrial revolution.

Will this result in a better standard of living?
Perhaps for a few, but it does nothing for
those who actually to all the labor.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This will result in bigger prisons made for the rest of us humans.

On many other levels, it's doom.

Robots see how wasteful we are and starts to print rapidly solutions for our misery.

Or

Robots are hacked and print out thousands of gun wielding replicates.
edit on 19-6-2015 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ueww I just had the image of .. imagine using the full DNA of an aborted foetus. Now using inorganic polymer, an organ is created from the dna. we're not there yet, afaik we can see what does what, not not why or how. Hence we make red eyed flies that turn gay, and do a conga into the death tube days later. Poor buggers.. literally. But what if technology starts to tell us "screw your rules. this is how we are!" and we head on with untested and profitable tech.

I won't be asking william shattner any time soon...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logiciel

Dark side: all the "everyone will have a 3D printer at home very soon" thing goign on. I mean we can't even deal with industrial waste and mass consumption bi-products and packaging wastes...
If everyone starts printing his 3D effigie self portrait and creating plastic bits everywhere for the sake of it I think it sucks.

Think of transportation costs for all those goods and packaging. If you print them at home you do not have to ship it half around the world and wrap up. Also there are so much other materials you can use for 3D printing instead of plastic. Sure, some adhesives will always be in the filament and not bio. Although there are already degradeable materials aviable to print with.

The 6 axis robot arm they use is from ABB, Germany

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

hah... I see your point. It's just that so far lot of people use 3D printing to do miniature sculptures of themselves

are you in the robotic industry by any chance

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As for some of the waste issues in regards to 3D printing, a lot of plastics are easily recyclable if the right heat settings are used. Instead of continually feeding the garbage cycle with plastic waste, we could reuse this resource in other ways with some rather simple technology.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
With current print times I doubt that 3D printing will become something for the broad masses.
Yes I work in the robotic industry but not in common sense and not at ABB :-)
Bionic R&D
Can´t post actual project but this is was the last
edit on 19-6-2015 by verschickter because: fixed link

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

originally posted by: Logiciel

Think of transportation costs for all those goods and packaging. If you print them at home you do not have to ship it half around the world and wrap up. Also there are so much other materials you can use for 3D printing instead of plastic. Sure, some adhesives will always be in the filament and not bio. Although there are already degradeable materials aviable to print with.

The 6 axis robot arm they use is from ABB, Germany

I always remember all the packaging that came with the spare plastic dial I ordered for my washing machine. It's the size of a bottle top. Came in a sealed plastic bag, wrapped with several layers of bubble wrap, surrounded by a few inches of foam chips, in a cardboard box, sealed with tape.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Same with the coal brushes I ordered from BOSCH for my old impact drill. 2€ piece. 1cmx1cmx4cm aprox.. Came sealed in plastic foil then put on a cardboard with foil over the edges. The edges of the cardbord were bend behind so the foil would hold it in pace. This was diagonaly stacked into a square cardboard "ring" and put in styrofoam chips inside of a cardboard box measuring aprox. 30x30x20cm that was tape wrapped. I thought they send me a new motor instead but it was to light

Paid around 8€ for everything. They also could have send a blistered envelope for 2,90€...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

cool tech.
So is it pure research? what's the outcome?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Uprise of the machines probably.
No joking, of course it´s not just research. In fact I´m not researching at all, personally.
What I do is nothing special so to speak. There are thousands that could do it but it´s based on older codework I did.
So I stick around to give out helping hands to the newer much younger team members.
Can´t give much more informations... Except it´s about superconductivity. But I´m not a scientist...Just a dumb "coder"
edit on 19-6-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

Google supramotion3, that´s ok and released. We´re currently at v5..
edit on 19-6-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Cool ants. Should make them solar and send them to space. A colony of explorers.

new topics

top topics

join