It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF/USN developing unmanned 6th Gen fighter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The US Navy has gone to the Air Force for help developing an unmanned 6th generation fighter. They're collaborating on the technology required for the fighter. The Navy designated it the F/A-XX, and plans to have it in service by 2035, when the Hornets are removed from inventory. They envision an aircraft capable of supercruise, maximum sensor connectivity, and smart skin. The aircraft would be able to connect in real time with satellite coverage of the area as part of the sensor connectivity.

The smart skin would consist of sensors mounted under the skin, with openings for them to operate through, to reduce drag, while giving better sensor capability. They also envision the ability to fire hypersonic weapons, depending on how the development of new scramjet engines go.

Navy and Air Force developers are immersed in early conceptual work on a new, sixth-generation fighter aircraft designed with breakthrough technologies and an ability to perform for both manned and unmanned missions.
Few details are available about the new aircraft, called F/A-XX by the Navy, because the early work is at this point purely conceptual, said Rear Adm. Michael Manazir, Director of Air Warfare.
"There is an opportunity to field an unmanned system in the F/A XX program. We are collaborating with the Air Force on the technologies that would be required to operate an air system that gives us enhanced capabilities in the future," Manazir told reporters June 15.

www.military.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Not alot to add, but what marvelous tech...smart skin, gotta love smart skin and scram jets.a reply to: Zaphod58

edit on 18-6-2015 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Kind of spooky but interesting to say the least.
Is this not the idea of Nuclear Missiles? Around and around we go.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Wow! That's going to be interesting. Imagine being a drone operator somewhere deep inside an aircraft carrier, maybe with widescreen display and/or VR headset, being able to watch the launch off the flight deck as if you were sitting there, and being able to view all the different visual sensors and send the data off to intelligence analysts in real-time. With a camera in each wing, it would be possible to see stereoscopically in real time.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Ace combat in real life!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Wow! That's going to be interesting. Imagine being a drone operator somewhere deep inside an aircraft carrier, maybe with widescreen display and/or VR headset, being able to watch the launch off the flight deck as if you were sitting there, and being able to view all the different visual sensors and send the data off to intelligence analysts in real-time. With a camera in each wing, it would be possible to see stereoscopically in real time.

I can do one better...wish I was actually piloting the vehicle from within, as opposed to the watered down safety of an Aircraft carriers belly.

Different highs for different guys I guess....

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I think the trick here is they want a plane that will do waypointing and automatic air refueling.

Why need a pilot if the drone can fly there automagically.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Kids, better start getting good at those flight simulator games...

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It would be so much cheaper to fly mini drones with dropable chems on them, but for some reason that's not too cool. The simple way of defeating an enemy is not to have one or in the case of the USA, not to create one.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Everytime I see something like this I'm reminded of a quote, supposedly attributed to Robert E. Lee during the battle of Fredricksburg:

It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

War turned into a video game. A bloodless afternoon spent in a bunker somewhere safe. Much like moms basement, no?

War should be bloody. War should be horrible. Made to be something we should work to avoid.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Why don't all countries just build giant mech robots and have them fight it out?

Robot Jox anyone?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Who will be the enemy in 2035?

Does it even matter?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I've read some military analysts saying this for some time now. The F-35 will possibly be the last manned US fighter and the future could be the UCAV.
There are a lot of advantages but also some drawbacks. Could open up the possibility of hacking and the Chinese have shown they are pretty good at it.
Extending this idea to ground ops could see a terminator type thing doing some roles, which is a disturbing thought. No doubt when that type of technology evolves military leaders may want to develop it. Skynet anyone...
6th gen combat aircraft will probably have the unmanned option or be fully unmanned that is the way it is going.
Stealthy hypersonic high G UCAV could be the next big step, making something like the F-35 seem obsolete.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I usually fly on ACE of ACES mode in Ace COmbat,so naturally id volunteer to fly one of these drone craft. ANd id do it for the low low price of 50 g a year.NO TAXES.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Seems to me its the navy thats pushing things forward in regard to technology wants.With the X47 doing remarkably well i can see something morphing out of the off the shelf parts already being stocked with the F35,Rq-170 and maybe Tarranis.With the Soviets and China ahead in the game of hypersonic missiles its a wonder the USA never pushed forward through its trials and tribulations with its own.They are well behind in the game.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Seems to me its the navy thats pushing things forward in regard to technology wants.With the X47 doing remarkably well i can see something morphing out of the off the shelf parts already being stocked with the F35,Rq-170 and maybe Tarranis.With the Soviets and China ahead in the game of hypersonic missiles its a wonder the USA never pushed forward through its trials and tribulations with its own.They are well behind in the game.

Nothing that you have ever seen officially but they do have the black doritos,And i swear if you call it a TR-3b wear your flame resistent pants(because there is no such designation btw) A few people in the know that were here and had hand son with them(ALLEGEDLY) could tell you the airforce has faster than hypersonic craft already,but if they revealed them out right at this tim there would be serious problems,such as nukes a flying when the other countries see how out classed they truly are.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hahahaha you said it...Time for your "punishment" LOL

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Interesting. Hypersonic, supercruise and smart skin on an unmanned platform. And the possibility of hypersonic weaponry in the future could make it a formidable foe indeed.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Blackfinger

Nothing that you have ever seen officially but they do have the black doritos,And i swear if you call it a TR-3b wear your flame resistent pants(because there is no such designation btw) A few people in the know that were here and had hand son with them(ALLEGEDLY) could tell you the airforce has faster than hypersonic craft already,but if they revealed them out right at this tim there would be serious problems,such as nukes a flying when the other countries see how out classed they truly are.

Sorry but I dont beleive in the black triangle hypersonic craft or the things ASTR0 had said.

It doesnt make sense to have F-35, LRS-B, RQ-170 and all the X-47B/C stuff if we have surpassed some of this tech.

This tender doesnt make sense if that is the case.

But thats just how I feel.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
Who will be the enemy in 2035?

50 bucks says it's brown people (still)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join