It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

blade runner

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well its still Scott at the helm so we will wait and see.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Read the book, "Do Adroids Dream of Electric Sheep", instead.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

One of the best films ever.
Voted as the best Sci fi movie ever in Britain i think i saw.
I used to watch that about twice a month for a while.
The music CD of it is amazing by Van Gelles,that's worth buying/downloading.

And it's not outdated either,i only watched it about a week ago,stands the test of time.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain....

Time to die."

The Roy Batty monologue.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Great movie although I think Ridley Scott is hugely overrated. The best thing about it is how authentic and realistic the world looks, the sets have been meticulously created and it's so immersive that it would be totally impossible to recreate with CGI.

From a time where movies didn't hold your hand and explain everything to you.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
One of my favorites, picked up the directors cut version a few years ago.

The OST is also one of the best ones ever and worth a listen.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Great movie although I think Ridley Scott is hugely overrated. The best thing about it is how authentic and realistic the world looks, the sets have been meticulously created and it's so immersive that it would be totally impossible to recreate with CGI.

From a time where movies didn't hold your hand and explain everything to you.

From a time when movies were movies ;-) I like Ridley Scott, but I also like Dino de Laurentis for his rendition of Dune, my other favorite movie. Even though I do like a lot of the new movies, I find they can only be watched once. Maybe I have become a cynic, but I really don't see any new stories, they all seem like remakes of older better stories. And your last line, I like movies that make you think, but then I am a voracious book reader ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain....

Time to die."

The Roy Batty monologue.

Cheers - Dave

One of the greatest monologues of all time. For me, Bladerunner is tied for 1st place with Space Odyssey: 2001, in the sci-fact category. I have faith in Ridley Scott for the next installment.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: trifecta

completely agree, I can recite this monologue in my sleep. How can anyone travel to the constellation Orion, except in imagination, which is what Orion is, something imagined onto a set of stars thousands of light years apart.

one of the best sci-fi movies ever because the story it's based on has so much material and poses questions about what it is to be human without giving answers. The replicants show more desire and humanity than the humans in the movie.

Ridley Scott is an OK director, he had a great story with tons of layers to work with in Blade Runner, full credit to the longevity of this movie to Philip K. Dick and his insane imagination. And to the soundtrack.

Read the novel, Do Androids Dream, but also the book of his letters is extremely revealing about Dick's thought processes: The Exegesis of Philip K Dick

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
One of the best films ever made IMHO.
Watched it a million time and more.
Sad I know.
Watch it, you wont regret it.
No it hasn't dated.
Excellent film!

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Really good sci-fi movies ended with the implementation of CGI (though it was done right with some movies like the original Jurassic Park; but more often, it is done bad).

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I hate to say it, but it would have been even more amazing if you saw it in 1982, since your perspective of the world was so different back then and the scenery and ideas even more futuristic.

Still prob a good watch now though.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
All the visual effects of this movie were made either using large miniature sets (the pyramid shaped building was actually a scale model that filled the entire movie set. Fibre optic cables were used to model lighting, and there were even moving elevators).

The script was based upon the premise; when robots look, move and can think like humans, are they human?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
All the visual effects of this movie were made either using large miniature sets (the pyramid shaped building was actually a scale model that filled the entire movie set. Fibre optic cables were used to model lighting, and there were even moving elevators).

The script was based upon the premise; when robots look, move and can think like humans, are they human?

Replicants were not robots (unless we consider that humans are robots), they were genetically engineered biologicals. You take a human genetic template and modify the genome, speed grow, add the upgraded parts and you have a custom made drone for specific tasks. They had a time limit however, I think it was a four year expiry date. In the end when Batty was starting his death cycle, he put a nail through his hand, probably to get even more adrenaline production to keep his heart running so he could kill Deckard. Of course, Batty doesn't kill Deckard and we get to hear that powerful monologue, but in the process you can see the injustice. Batty may be a human creation, he may be programmed, he may only have 4 short years, but he is human and he has the non-programmed ability to forgive.

Cheers - Dave

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/19.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

This is one of my favorite movies. I agree with beezzer. It's one of the best movies ever made.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join