It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near miss at Chicago Midway

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Scary moment at Chicago Midway airport today. Southwest 3828 and Delta 1328 were both departing at the same time. Delta was warned twice that there was another aircraft with a similar callsign. They both lined up on intersecting runways at the same time. Southwest was told twice that they were cleared for takeoff, but both aircraft started rolling. The controller realized what was happening, and quickly yelled for them to stop, and both aircraft were able to stop about 2000 feet apart.

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Seems to meeee, well a couple things…

the comms for clearance was garbled (talking over or being stepped on) at the critical point of clearance so both pilots misread tower instructions?

The other thing, intersecting runways?

Seems it wouldn't have become an issue at all if runways were parallel. In this day of complex , busy operating environments and all… that runway layout looks like Tic Tac Toe, to me.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Intersecting runways are necessary for winds. They work, and have worked for a long time, and short of completely rebuilding the airport, there's no way to change them.

As for the comms, they were garbled because they kept stepping on each other.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They work, and have worked for a long time,

Until they don't, case in point. Hey I'm old school, runway is revisable if the wind changes direction.

Crossing runways(?), thats asking for trouble.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

And if the winds change to a crosswind, and is gusting too high to use the runway? Intersecting runways have been in use pretty much since the first airports were built, and the number of actual accidents involving them is minuscule. Most collisions that have occurred were on the same runway, not intersecting runways.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

and is gusting too high to use the runway?

Then they don't takeoff regardless, same with shear or down draft. They hold a bit. But I get the world is too busy to hold for (crosswinds, cross runways, or cross talk).

imo

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So you would design an airport that who knows how much of the time they can't take off, because you don't want to have crossing runways? I bet that airport would last 6 months before no one flew there anymore. Crossing runways don't have to worry about crosswinds as much, because they have options.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

So you would design an airport that who knows how much of the time they can't take off, because you don't want to have crossing runways?

I think they caught the problem before it became one.

My opinion on it is subjective. 'Stepping on each other', assuming clearance on Deltas part and the runways crossing could have led to a disaster.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Going to have to side with George Carlin and say it was a "near hit" not a near miss!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

And if you look at all the runway incursion incidents, they've caught just about every one with an intersecting runway. The true disasters have been the ones that occurred on the same runway. The ones with an intersecting runway have been almost non-existent.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
my beef is with the atc......the whole tower was in on that save....cool. atc's deserve better conditions.....Reagan fired the good ones....will never let that one go free....sorry sap sucker....

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There has to be a separation between aircraft, I think they can pump out more planes out of intersecting runways than parallel. The sound quality on aircraft radios is terrible so maybe it adds to problems like this one and btw good job by the controller catching the problem in time.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

they've caught just about every one with an intersecting runway

Because they were doing their job, looking out the tower with binocs at their area of responsibility.

Butletssay for a moment that they weren't and the two planes continued to roll… on a single runway one or both the two pilots might have noticed each other (dead ahead) and stopped.

But on crossing runways that problem of closure is augmented by the two runways converging and crossing…

Imagine a hi speed intersection for cars with no lights or stop signs…

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

So they were doing their jobs on intersecting runways, but not when two planes landed on the same runway? Many of the intersecting runway incidents were caught by the pilots, not the controllers. You are not going to find anyone who designs or builds airports, or in the airlines that is going to build an airport with only parallel runways. Costs will be higher for tickets, landing fees, flights will be cancelled more because of winds. There will always be at least one crossing runway.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

There will always be at least one crossing runway.

Anther reason I don't fly. Nowadays they buid them like that. i'm an old man. The rules of common sense have changed out of impatience and greed.

One runway, then two, parallel has become tic tac toe…

I hear old school pilots turning in their graves.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I hate to break it to you, but they've pretty much always built them like that. O'hare was originally built with three intersecting runways in 1943.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

There will always be at least one crossing runway.

Anther reason I don't fly. Nowadays they buid them like that. i'm an old man. The rules of common sense have changed out of impatience and greed.

One runway, then two, parallel has become tic tac toe…

I hear old school pilots turning in their graves.

I'm an old man too, and a private pilot to boot. No offense intended, but if you find yourself in a hole the first thing you should do is stop digging.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
There were some 20 hour delays for flights leaving Chicago due to tropical storm Bill.
That would tend to leave pilots tired from lack of sleep.
Airports usually like to keep the more visceral scenarios to a minimum.

You can't just keep the planes in the hangers every time it rains though.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower
After 16 hours of duty you grab your stuff and head to the hotel. Pilot fatigue comes from long duty days and on the last leg to your destination the weather gets bad then you are made to hold followed by shooting the approach two times to minimums. Then you go to the hotel for 8 hours and start the same thing over again. Three or four days of this you are worn out and for all intents and purposes are unsafe.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Cohen the Barbarian

Status Quo trumps common sense every time. Like, everyone does it since forever, so its okay. As long as they're careful nothing bad will happen. Lulz, I'm off to design a figure eight Indy car course.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join