It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope calls for end to fossil fuels

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

My problem is the statement that we need to replace oil. OK, sure, fine. Replace it with what?

Hydrogen. Clean energy from holy water. I'm guessing he's going to make it feasible through the use of Catholysis.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Well when you factor in the amount of pollution involved in creating those PV panels, especially when NF3 is involved, it will take them many years before they start to have an overall negative agw footprint.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

I can't wait to read his paper on that process...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

Man.... all of you are so depressing..... Instead of applauding his speech and using his voice to make awareness to the problem you find ways to spew hate.

all of you need to relax just a little and stop being so damn opinionated about religion. fossil fuels are killing our planet and we need as many high ranking people to speak out.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

My problem is the statement that we need to replace oil. OK, sure, fine. Replace it with what?

Hydrogen. Clean energy from holy water. I'm guessing he's going to make it feasible through the use of Catholysis.

If Jeebus could change water into wine, surely the Pope could be able to break water into it's component gasses. It's not like he has to miracle something new into the container.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

My whole point is that speaking out does nothing.... NOTHING... to fix the problem. We don't need speeches; we need solutions. Ten billiuon speeches won't power a crystal radio.

Where's the Pope's solution?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Using his voice to make awareness to the problems of climate change? What exactly do you want him to do go back to college and study alternates to fossil fuels? half of the USA doesn't even believe in climate change
edit on 18-6-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Viva Francis!!

Here is a man who knows how to be Pope, who knows how to wield power.

Nice work, and a tribute to your namesake.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Jesuits, science and a Pope with a chemistry degree: A productive pairing?

Science and religion. Not mutually exclusive.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

I can't wait to read his paper on that process...

TheRedneck

Of course the cynics will dismiss it as mere handwaving.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Pics or it didn't happen.

No worries, I will get many, the wife has never been so it will be fun for her. Anything in particular you want pics of?

The pope on the toilet

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Using his voice to make awareness to the problems of climate change?

Awareness? People walk 5ks for awareness. We need practical solutions.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Using his voice to make awareness to the problems of climate change? What exactly do you want him to do go back to college and study alternates to fossil fuels? half of the USA doesn't even believe in climate change

It's a wonderful idea. The thing is, supposedly, we have been working on this for decades with no forward movement.
Unless.........Big oil has been keeping a few secrets. But that is stuff only conspiracy nuts believe.

And it makes no difference who believes in AGW and who doesn't. the climate will do exactly what it wants even if we object.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Awareness is not the problem. Plenty of people are working, as we speak, on new technologies to both produce clean energy and use the energy we have more efficiently. The only people who were not aware of the issue before he spoke have no connection to the engineering industry and therefore have nothing to offer except well wishes... and unreasonable demands.

If one is dying of thirst in a desert, it will do him no good for someone to come along and talk about how badly he needs water. It could do much good if someone came along and tried to find water.

We do not have a lack of awareness; we have a lack of options.

This is becoming a regular thing: politicians and celebrities calling for an end to oil use without offering any workable solution. It's great that they care about the problem, but wouldn't their time be better spent trying to solve the problem? How about he funds research projects to find replacement energy sources? How about he educate the masses on what's being done to try to find better energy sources so maybe someone else can get involved? How about he address the problems mentioned earlier in this thread, where governments actively discourage individuals from living "off the grid"?

I think that would do a lot more actual good than saying something 90% of the population already knew.

Oh, and I am one of those uninformed souls that does not believe in the prevailing media theories of Global Warming, aka "Climate Change." But what do I know? I'm just an Electrical Engineering major and assistant researcher at UAH with a 3.87 GPA, and a member of IEEE.

That guy on TV knows so much more about it than I do...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Erm…so let me get this straight –

First you were complaining that the Vatican is not leading by example. When it was pointed out that they actually very much are, you suddenly declare your own argument irrelevant because “meh it’s only 836 people” - even though that 836 people is leading by example some 1.4 billion Catholics.

Then when it’s also pointed out those 836 people are spending over $600 million on renewable energy, you declare it a giant waste of money.

You understand that a 100MW power plant produces much more energy than is needed for 836 people right?

The 100 megawatts unleashed by the station will supply about 40,000 households.

Bloomberg

Just once I wish we could see a climate change thread here that isn’t immediately hijacked by some babbling denier talking in circles, contradicting themselves, and derailing an otherwise important topic with falsehoods and unapologetic ignorance.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: Rezlooper

I just saw(and stared) your last reply and agree with you. The Vatican going dark will not combat the situation. Nor will Al Gore solve anything by ceasing his lavish ways. Nor will Americans being taxed.

The problem is Global. However, we all can't come together on a solution, so nothing gets done. Well, the preaching of impending doom gets done but that's not really productive...

So the big boys practicing what they preach "will not combat the situation"? Ok, then I can feel good not doing my part because, well, I'm just one person! I don't even have a private jet, after all.

I'm glad I have a reprieve from the climate change alarmists.

edit on 18-6-2015 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I am all for getting rid of fossil fuel. All we need is another method of propulsion and *POOF*, the world is a better place.

But as anyone knows, all those alternative fuel theories were complete garbage, so we have to start from scratch.

We don’t need imaginary perpetual motion magic to do this. All the real technology is available and feasible:

Providing all global energy with wind, water, and solar power, Part I: Technologies, energy resources, quantities and areas of infrastructure, and materials

Providing all global energy with wind, water, and solar power, Part II: Reliability, system and transmission costs, and policies

All that’s missing is the willpower.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I sure hope the pope mobile is electric(or at least hybrid) or TTT

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
My problem is the statement that we need to replace oil. OK, sure, fine. Replace it with what? Solar? You think electricity is expensive now, try paying for that shiny new solar power plant. I have yet to find any technology for energy production that costs more to implement than solar.

Deutsche Bank Predicts Solar Grid Parity In 80% Of Global Market By 2017

Solar Grid Parity In All 50 US States By 2016, Predicts Deutsche Bank

Storage technology is also making huge headway with companies like Tesla:

Why Tesla’s announcement is such a big deal: The coming revolution in energy storage

True many regular folks still can’t afford all this yet, the point however is it’s very doable – but the “revolution” starts at the top. We need investment and policies that make it work for everyone. That’s why the 2nd sentence in the OP’s link says:

In the letter, he urges the rich to change their lifestyles to avert the destruction of the ecosystem.

The pope isn’t going out and preaching to those who can’t afford it. He’s calling out those who can, as Masonicus above demanded, to “lead by example”, on behalf of the poor.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
^That’s the whole issue here that never stops amazing me how many people still fail to grasp. The plutocrats in this world don’t want anything to change because they are making filthy amounts of money the way things are right now. That’s why

the wealth gap is worse than it’s ever been.

The climate change problem puts the most emphasis on corporations, governments and other elitists to change their ways first and foremost, which is exactly why most of them are such furious deniers about it.

Solutions to climate change represent a paradigm shift that literally redistributes power back into the hands of regular people – by calling for a renewable, decentralized system where many can generate their own energy instead of buying it from some Saudi Arabian sheik. The other half of it is by discouraging our wasteful, over-consumptive habits that feed this whole economic Ponzi mess. That mess makes the rich get richer while everyone else stagnates in debt and poverty.

But it’s incredible how much the plutocrats have convinced people this totally broken system is synonymous with their freedom, and anyone trying to fix it is just trying to enslave them with breathing taxes or something…

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join