It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Pope calls for end to fossil fuels

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:44 AM
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Calculate the radioactive fallout use the Hiroshima and Nagasaki for reference

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I hate getting off topic or derailing, but will you please go edit your post?

I'm not mature enough to read "doe snot" without giggling like a school girl!

Sorry mods.

This Popo is doing some great things for his church, but it is obvious that he is in league with the globalust(purposeful mispelling) agenda.

They have chosen this time to forceca global hegemony and this guy is probably its leader.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:49 AM

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: anton74

Maybe, but I would wager that not all of them believe the relgious mumbo-jumbo coming from a bunch of men wearing silly hats.

Why all of them? You only need a majority that believe in something ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:54 AM
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, I do think it is better to be warm than have a large portion of the planet ocvered with miles thich ice sheets.

Too bad we don't get a choice

Right about what? Spending $600,000,000 on soalr for the Vatican is absurd.

You do understand that that cost is not per year? What does it mean long term do you think? Or, still not worth it - no matter what?

Osservatore Romano said that the panels installed on the Paul VI conference hall two years ago had saved the Vatican 89.84 tons of oil equivalent.

Old news now anyhow - it's done. Been done

What kind of smoking?

Fair enough :-)

edit on 6/18/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:59 AM

originally posted by: Temudjin

Calculate the radioactive fallout use the Hiroshima and Nagasaki for reference

I don't need to calculate anything. For one, Fat Man and Little Boy are basically grenades compared to the atomic devices that we have now. For two, YOU are making the claim that nuclear winter is false, the onus is on YOU to do the calculations. But hey, since you brought them up, take a look at this website and see what you are advocating on a worldwide level:
Hiroshima, The Pictures They Didn't Want Us to See

Anyone who would even JOKE about using nuclear weapons is either sick in the head or has no idea what they are talking about. The worst part is that MOST of the people who die from nuclear explosions, don't die from the initial blast, but from radiation sickness caused from radiation exposure. And radiation sickness is one of the most painful ways to die. Your body literally falls apart with you still living in it.
edit on 18-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:02 PM
a reply to: theantediluvian

Where's the controversy or am I missing something?

There is nothing wrong with the popes sentiments, but why is it now that this pope taking a stand? why didn't the last pope or the pope before him take a stand?

Maybe, just maybe the pope is taking a populist stand to improve the Catholics rep. Was John Paul II an climate change advocate? Would Benedict approve of same sex relations?

It's funny how the Vatican has been so vocal on social issues when they pretty much ignore the one that has ruined their reputation, and that's the systematic child abuse that has spanned decades.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:16 PM
Lordy... I actually like a pope. Perhaps the end times really are near.

I'm glad someone in some place of power is saying this... energy and environment is the most important issue of this time, and has been for decades.

We have the means to replace fossil fuels and even make manufacturing far less polluting... we just need the collective will to spend the resources to do it.

Good poping, pope... now allow birth control to be used and I'll even join the church... well, I'll think about it... heh.

edit on 6/18/2015 by Baddogma because: conditional add

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:18 PM

Then live by nature, that's how easy this works.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
I am all for getting rid of fossil fuel. All we need is another method of propulsion and *POOF*, the world is a better place.

But as anyone knows, all those alternative fuel theories were complete garbage, so we have to start from scratch.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:33 PM
There are many alternative energies to displace abuse of fossil fuels, but the elite probably mean, why do you want electricity, live like serfs of old...So we may have to bypass the current world and corporate heads and run own system, keep our scientist children for our projects and form our own cottage industries and bypass them, don't buy from them anymore, put them out to pasture like aged, soon to be de-toothed dino's.
edit on 18-6-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:41 PM
We have to face it. The pope calling for removal of fossil fuel without DELAY, practically called for DISCLOSURE of secret tech, or tech that is not secret but never used (as Tesla). Perhaps Francis wouldn't change his view so much until the September UN and US congress speeches. The world should have Disclosure of new tech by then. Hydrogen and electric cars alone would not suffice to make the entire energy sector on new base. More tech is needed. Such as atmospheric electricity etc. Tech known for 100 years.
edit on 18-6-2015 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:50 PM

originally posted by: KawRider9

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: 2012newstart

Practice what you preach, or, lead by example.

I'm soooooo sick of folks with authority telling us mere serfs to "do what's right", while they live lavish lifestyles.

How much electricity does the Vatican use? Where does their heat come from?

Burning wood has now been deemed bad, so where exactly do we get heat from? Cuddled masses?

As a believer in the flying spaghetti monster in the sky, I say cram your political thoughts up your popeness ass!

Preach religion not politics!

The thing is...why should he do it if no one else will?

Because he's the one telling ME how to live. It REALLY gets under my skin when folks with authority tell me how to live while they continue with their lavish ways. Look at Gore, jet setting across the globe telling the world about the DANGERS and DOOM of climate change. His carbon footprint is bigger than some towns, and yet he has the nerve to tell me to be more responsible?

If climate change is indeed as horrible and life threatening as they say it is, why aren't the people preaching the doom doing more to combat the situation? Preaching awareness does NOTHING to combat the situation.

Someone has to start actually doing something about this impending crises, how about we start with the folks that preach the doom?

The corporations of this world are the ones who profit from destroying our planet and then use those profits to spread disinformation and lies to make you believe everything is ok, keep using their products. Thats a lot of profits to buy a lot of politicians to stop anyone from doing anything about it, the Pope included.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:55 PM
I agree with the Pope.

Well sort of, I'm not sure we have the technology to completely eliminate the use of fossil fuels. We do however have the technology to create off grid homes, homes that are not connected nor dependent on the grid. There are many examples of homes that create there own food, water and energy and waste disposal. Obviously you need fossil fuel for these systems to be built, to be transported to the site. With solar panels now at less than $1 per kilowatt hour, solar will be more and more available for the general public, and with Tesla new Power-wall energy is transforming from a service to a product, this is a great time and this is great technology for us all.

Government (not including the far right wing) agrees global climate change is our greatest threat and challenge. Government encouraging off grid living would spur a boom in new construction and alternative manufacturing creating a massive amount of jobs as we rebuild our society to be more sustainable. How could this hurt? Well to be fair it would hurt the fossil fuel industry, but cleaner self sustaining practical uses of these newer technology is a win win for the average person and environment.

I wish to be off grid but money stands in my way, I'm at least 3 years away from attempting my dream of building my own off grid home. Government could help by modernizing zoning and building codes and offering tax breaks and other incentives. Its unlikely the government would help because if your no longer paying into the grid utilities the government would lose tax and fee revenue. But with opinions from people like the Pope perhaps the government would do what is right, we shall see.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:02 PM
a reply to: Temudjin

Live by nature otherwise nuclear annihilation? That is dumb.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:02 PM
a reply to: LDragonFire

The government (both left, right and potato) don't want you going off grid. Matter of fact, they fine you for it!

Don't worry about the "far right", worry about the whole damn system. It's broken.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:40 PM

originally posted by: 2012newstart
We have to face it. The pope calling for removal of fossil fuel without DELAY, practically called for DISCLOSURE of secret tech, or tech that is not secret but never used (as Tesla). Perhaps Francis wouldn't change his view so much until the September UN and US congress speeches. The world should have Disclosure of new tech by then. Hydrogen and electric cars alone would not suffice to make the entire energy sector on new base. More tech is needed. Such as atmospheric electricity etc. Tech known for 100 years.

Now that would truly be exciting !

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:44 PM

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: NavyDoc

This. Also I doubt they teach engineering and physics in Pope school.

What do they teach in Med school Doc?

Is this concept beyond you?

Actually, since I got my undergraduate degree from a University that requires engineering, I've had a lot of both and physics and chemistry are both prerequisites for medical school, 'cause, science. Neither are required for popery.

The fact that he also said that global warming was not an excuse for abortion and he's still against abortion might make a few be less blindly happy of his statements.

Population Control Is Not the Answer

For Pope Francis, caring about the environment goes hand in hand with taking a strong stand against abortion. "Since everything is interrelated, concern for the protection of nature is also incompatible with the justification of abortion," the encyclical says. "How can we genuinely teach the importance of concern for other vulnerable beings, however troublesome or inconvenient they may be, if we fail to protect a human embryo, even when its presence is uncomfortable and creates difficulties?"

Francis suggests that efforts to slow population growth are misguided and a distraction from the underlying cause of the world's environmental crisis—the hoarding of the Earth's resources by the rich and powerful. "To blame population growth instead of extreme and selective consumerism on the part of some, is one way of refusing to face the issues," the encyclical says.

National Journal Article
edit on 18-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

It seems that he is saying that an environmentalist who is pro-choice is a hypocrite.
edit on 18-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:50 PM
Okay several thoughts..

According to my grandmama, revelation is currently happening so why bother? (Yeah, that made for a nice little nugget I my son's graduation card)

Why does no one talk about deforestation? Why dont we started with that first?

Lastly, why does evrrry'body act like America is this evil awful fossil fuel eating wasteful monster? America actually has pretty clean air. many of you young tots, don't remember how bad it was way, way back in the 70s.
how about we try to enforce emerging industrial countries to clean up their own damn air? China, India looking at you two!

edit on 18-6-2015 by Justaposter because: my tablet likes to create made up words.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:23 PM
Well, it looks like some people are "getting it" anyway...

My daddy used to have a saying that applies here: "He did the easy part; he talked about it." And i'll give the Vatican kudos for taking steps to free themselves of oil use. Good job! But then again, who here has the money to install solar panels sufficient to power their home, complete with battery storage/backup for when this regular phenomenpn called 'night' occurs? I know I don't.

Don't get me wrong: I don't like our dependence on oil... at all! Not only does it require a lot of cleanbing to be useful, but spills are environmental nightmares and there's a whole world of political/social/financial problems with oil usage. In short, it's not the oil that's bad, it's the idiots that can't figure out how to effectively and safely process and use it that are bad.

I really don't hate the oil companies though. Even though the prices are too high, the oil companies actually produce a product we are all willing to pay for. The government makes about the same as the oil companies do on fuel through taxation, and what do they produce? Nothing. So who's really the bad guys?

My problem is the statement that we need to replace oil. OK, sure, fine. Replace it with what? Solar? You think electricity is expensive now, try paying for that shiny new solar power plant. I have yet to find any technology for energy production that costs more to implement than solar. And those solar panels use a lot of exotic materials, most of which are extremely toxic to the environment. I guess that's OK, because we don't usually see that side of their use. We leave that to poor countries, so we can later on talk about how terrible it is that they ruined their environment making us things we demanded.

How about water? That's an awesome idea, except that we're sorta running out of rivers to dam.

Maybe wind? It sure works great, doesn't it? Except that it is expensive, both to build and maintain, and has its own environmental impacts: a deadly obstacle for migrating birds, acoustic noise, and possibly at some point, a true man-made climate change stemming from decreased winds.

Wave energy? Awesome technology! It should be phased in, but it can only work where there are waves. That means anything more than about 100 miles from the coast is out of luck.

Nuclear? That's about all that's left, and we seem to have the same problem globally with inefficient and dangerous conditions we have with oil, only it's a little more serious with nuclear.

None of the above allow us to make plastics, kubricants, or insulation either. Oil does do that. Oil is also the main ingredient for asphalt... that stuff that allows us to have roads. In short, there is no substitute for oil in a global sense. I wish there were, but there isn't at this time. That's just reality.

So yeah, Pope... you go! I'm proud of you! Just quit trying to decide reality is the same for everyone. Not everyone lives in the Vatican, not everyone has millions of dollars to spend, and not everyone is going to have the space to implement the same things you do. You want oil replaced? Offer a replacement.

Then I might take you seriously.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>