It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope calls for end to fossil fuels

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: anton74

That is good and I respect that. What they do is sell fear, just like everyone else.

Fear is a notoriously good motivator.

If you stood in the homeopathic isle at Whole Foods and asked people what they thought of Christianity, how many do you think would laugh about it as they picked up their magic remedy?

If, when I headed over to the local Whole Paycheck, I started chatting people up about religion they would look at me like I had Quato popping out of my chest.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I might be willing to spot you an FDR election.

Yeah, I could see that as well. Maybe not the third one but one of the first two.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
The Pope sells it as a just and noble cause, Greenies sell it as fear. What is the difference in the end? You don't buy either? What is it that I need to do to get you to jump on the Bandwagon? Give me time, I have what you want to buy.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: anton74

I do not think that such a thing has ever occurred.

Politics is not a game oft played by honest men. Honest men do not see it as a game at all, and thusly, they always loose in the halls of power. It is when there is no political process to speak of, that honesty wins out.

No, we are all hypocrites and liars and do what we need to in order to advance our cause.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

The Pope sells it as a just and noble cause, Greenies sell it as fear. What is the difference in the end? You don't buy either? What is it that I need to do to get you to jump on the Bandwagon? Give me time, I have what you want to buy.

Not much of a bandwagon guy, I think I am a little too cynical when it comes to listening to politicians and public figures.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not much of a bandwagon guy, I think I am a little too cynical when it comes to listening to politicians and public figures.

Sadly you and I are stuck in the minority.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Oy.

My point was to his point about them not teaching science at pope school. But way to sneak this in.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

There is always the other option, nuclear holocaust. Which i still vote for

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This whole argument is funny.

people act as if America (USA) is the only country not doing anything for the climate.

I'm sure the entire African continent, all of Europe and all of Asia all do everything they can for man-made climate change.

Only the USA is against it and everyone who is fighting this is actually ruining the planet.

lolz

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Sounds like you're making this personal because the pope happens to be a Christian leader. Why are you so upset that the Pope wants us to move away from fossil fuels? He should just shut his mouth and say nothing? Even if the pope didn't address environmental issues every single critic will point out that the pope does nothing on current issues.

Maybe that's exactly the problem with this world, everyone makes it soooo personal where people with power tend to stick to their base and not speak out and maybe that's why we can't solve important issue.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Temudjin
Then your a part of the problem

Nah, the problem is religious wackadoodles foisting their faith on others.

Except it seems that leftist religious wackadoodles are totally cool for some reason.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

people act as if America (USA) is the only country not doing anything for the climate.

I'm sure the entire African continent, all of Europe and all of Asia all do everything they can for man-made climate change.

Only the USA is against it and everyone who is fighting this is actually ruining the planet.

lolz

It's just that we're one of the few countries not listening to scientists. We'd rather listen to a pundit with no clue to what science actually is in the USA.

Would like to note that the vatican now, is more inclined to honor science and scientific research...Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical institutes in the world as just one example.

The pope and vatican is more likely to align with real science than American politicians.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

So China is on board with this?

Is Putin's Russia?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

lolz

It's just that we're one of the few countries not listening to scientists. We'd rather listen to a pundit with no clue to what science actually is in the USA.

Would like to note that the vatican now, is more inclined to honor science and scientific research...Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical institutes in the world as just one example.

The pope and vatican is more likely to align with real science than American politicians.

except of the science of diddling little boys?

C'mon. We are told over and over again how religion keeps science down and now all of sudden it doesn't? we got some cognitive dissonance here?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Religion is for the unintelligent and moronic.

At least that's what is told daily on the pages of ATS.

But all of a sudden, religion is now awesome?

I lol out loud, laughing!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

a reply to: NavyDoc

Religion is for the unintelligent and moronic.

At least that's what is told daily on the pages of ATS.

But all of a sudden, religion is now awesome?

I lol out loud, laughing!

Thank you. At least you got what I was putting out there.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Of course it's getting cheaper; all new technologies get cheaper due to the economy of scale and the fact that initial tooling is eventually paid for. That doesn't make it cheaper than the present alternatives; far from it.

This though....

Do you have any idea how much this amounts to globally?
... shows a lot of naiveness. We do need the sun for other things, you know... light, heat, agriculture. Plus, the cost of covering the globe would be unimaginable. The polar regions would not produce that much energy, either; that figure assumes a square meter perpendicular to the solar rays. Now also consider that the average PV cell will not produce 1.5kW per square meter, but rather something along the line of 167 watts per square meter. There are more efficient PV cells available, but even these wouldn't top 350 watss per square meter and would cost much more.

Incidentally, the average PV cell produces 0.5 volts or so... those panels themselves are arrays as well.

Inverters are notoriously inefficient, ranging from 20-80% efficiency. The larger units tend to be toward the lower end of that range and are also extremely expensive. Add in the phase alignment circuitry and they get even more expensive. Consider that the grid needs true AC instead of modified, and the expense goes up again.

I could easily explain the quantum mechanics at work inside the cells, the circuitry necessary to phase-tie the output to the grid, or any other part of the plant. I'm just not going to. If you're curious, go take a course. I charge $20 per hour for tutoring if I accept someone as a student. My schedule is full at this time.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
As a kid growing up in the 90's I was convinced I was going to see gas phased out by now but the only honest reason we are not all driving hydrogen/electric/bio-fuel's is greed. Big Oil and it's cronies want to remain the single biggest profiteers on the planet and have no intentions of letting new technology take over.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I really have no problem with the Pope's speech; that's not what irritates me. I just get tired of the same thing over and over.

The Pope said we need renewable energy! Hurray!
Senator Whats-his-name said we need renewable energy! Hurray!
President whosis said we need renewable energy! Hurray!
Judge whatever said we need renewable energy! Hurray!
An actor said we need renewable energy! Hurray!
A businessman said we need renewable energy! Hurray!
A governor said we need renewable energy! Hurray!
A researcher said we are working on renewable energy... Huh? Did someone say something?

As I said before, ten billion speeches won't power a singl;e crystal radio. A single reseacher can solve all the energy problems. So who do we (the average people) applaud?

Speeches.

Keep talking about it. Let the researchers know when you're ready to do something about it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: Urantia1111

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I call for an end to tax exemption, so there!

THIIIISSSSS!!!!

Imagine if we just taxed them on their real estate holdings. Retroactively. That would bring in a few bucks for research of alternative energy sources.

The Vatican is a sovereign state. Who would you propose to collect the taxes?

I may be confused but who else but the governments of the countries in which the church operates? my income is taxed something like 30%. i also pay thousands per year in property tax. The church has income and property too but pays zero? Get it?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join