It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope calls for end to fossil fuels

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Pope Francis encyclical calls for end to fossil fuels www.bbc.com...

The Pope has issued an encyclical, calling for fossil fuels to be "progressively replaced without delay".
Pope Francis urges the richer world to make changes in lifestyle and energy consumption to avert the unprecedented destruction of the ecosystem.
Environmentalists hope the message will spur on nations ahead of the UN climate conference in Paris in December.
But parts of the document, leaked earlier this week, have already been criticised by some US conservatives.
It has been dismissed by two Republican presidential candidates.
Humans to blame
The encyclical, named "Laudato Si (Be Praised), On the Care of Our Common Home", aims to inspire everyone - not just Roman Catholics - to protect the Earth.
The 192-page letter, which is the highest level teaching document a pope can issue, lays much of the blame for global warming on human activities.

[Mod Edit] Please do not just copy/paste articles from the web without first writing a brief sypnosis. Please include your thoughts in order to further generate a discussion on the issue.
edit on 6/18/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

I will be in Rome in August. I will let you know if they have turned the AC off in the Vatican and the Pontifix Hypocriticus has moved out of the Papal Apertments to something a bit more smaller and enviornmentally friendly.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Practice what you preach, or, lead by example.

I'm soooooo sick of folks with authority telling us mere serfs to "do what's right", while they live lavish lifestyles.

How much electricity does the Vatican use? Where does their heat come from?

Burning wood has now been deemed bad, so where exactly do we get heat from? Cuddled masses?

As a believer in the flying spaghetti monster in the sky, I say cram your political thoughts up your popeness ass!

Preach religion not politics!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

While in Rome, do as the Romans do and be a snipping hypocrite!

Or have a beer.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Practice what you preach, or, lead by example.

I'm soooooo sick of folks with authority telling us mere serfs to "do what's right", while they live lavish lifestyles.

How much electricity does the Vatican use? Where does their heat come from?

Burning wood has now been deemed bad, so where exactly do we get heat from? Cuddled masses?

As a believer in the flying spaghetti monster in the sky, I say cram your political thoughts up your popeness ass!

Preach religion not politics!

This. Also I doubt they teach engineering and physics in Pope school.

link   
I call for an end to tax exemption, so there!

link   

Everything converted forthwith to run on incense.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I call an end to Popes.

See how well that worked?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I will be in Rome in August. I will let you know if they have turned the AC off in the Vatican and the Pontifix Hypocriticus has moved out of the Papal Apertments to something a bit more smaller and enviornmentally friendly.

Pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
While in Rome, do as the Romans do and be a snipping hypocrite!

Nah, Romans are fine. Popes are the issue.

Or have a beer.

I will drink a Peroni or three in your honor.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

No worries, I will get many, the wife has never been so it will be fun for her. Anything in particular you want pics of?

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Can't listen to scientists, can't listen to religious leaders...

I guess it comes down to listening to Big Oil.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

No worries, I will get many, the wife has never been so it will be fun for her. Anything in particular you want pics of?

The papcy moving into environmentally friendly efficiency apartments. Or if you pass through Pisa, see if ISIS is throwing fags off of queer buildings.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Fracking Francis must be loosing it.

Unless of course, his observatory has made contact and is about to unveil anti-gravity alternatives in which case god bless him and disregard my first comment.

Amen.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I love this pope! He tells it like it is!

I think it's hilarious that Santorum says the Pope should leave science to the scientists, when the pope IS a scientists and Santorum and most other conservatives don't listen the the VAST majority of scientists on the issue, either!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He didn't say cut it out NOW !

Rather ""progressively replaced without delay"."

I think that is ok right?

He would be in good standing with me if he made the entire Vatican a museum, that wealth really has gone on too long, but I imagine it would be difficult for him to step in and started turning over the tables of the money changers. They'd assassinate him first.
edit on 18-6-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Francis, although he is a Pope, and therefore subscribed to a doctrine which is based on the teachings of Christ, in much the same way that Charles Manson involved himself in the true hippy culture of peace and love, is probably the most down to Earth, people loving, and socially aware Pope that has come into power for a very long time.

Although I have no respect for the cult of which he is a part, nor any Roman influenced religious body, I do believe that he is a genuine person for the people, who has been elected into a situation which requires far more pomp and circumstance than he is personally comfortable with. He had humble digs before becoming Pope, which he is said to have preferred to his current dwelling place. As far as I am aware, it took considerable efforts on the part of his underlings, advisors, and security staff, in order to shoehorn him out of his previous abode, and into the papal apartments.

For all that he might be attached to a religion which alleges faith in Christ, but spends just as much time in Godess worship and polytheism dressed up as Christianity, he seems a half decent bloke, certainly when compared to Emperor Palpatine, or Benedict as he would have himself known. And it has to be said, that even if his comments are taken as simple opinion, rather than an edict from a world leader or near to, they have some merit.

Oil dependency muddies the waters of every significant political and sociological driving factor, after all, affecting everything from the price of food, to the cost of running governments. Getting the world off oil dependency would free up an awful lot of time and money down the line, and has the potential to make the world a slightly better place for everyone, assuming properly advantageous solutions can be found, and released into the public domain without intereference from certain quarters.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I'm just SURE the pope will lead the way in his edict and make sure all official Vatican activities will do away with fossil fuel use.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Great. Lets do it now. End all fossil fuel consumption and run the entire world off of what ? prayer energy? And if the Pope is a scientist is it real or "honorary" ? You know honorary doctorates are a dime a dozen now. And what field of study ?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

There's always hemp oil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join