It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Energy and Water (Could it be so simple?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

ty mate ..never seen anything like that before..that is excellent

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Goldenwilys
I have a simple idea that should work. We'll in theory. My idea is taking salt water and pump it up front of a hill as it falls down the front of the hill it will be superheated by many fresnel lenses in a enclosed tube as it superheats the water and the tube the steam goes up and over the hill cools then condenses into fresh water. I'm not a scientist or an engineer but I think this would work. Thoughts?
Nuclear fusion is a simple idea too, just heat up hydrogen under pressure until it releases more energy than is put in.

What allows ideas to be manifested in the real world is engineering. It's not that your idea won't work or that nuclear fusion won't work, they are both possible, but it always boils down to coming up with something which is economical and efficient not just to build and operate but to maintain. There are engineering and economics issues with both your idea and with nuclear fusion.

By the way there are already large plants that pump water up a hill or mountain for the purpose of load leveling...most people need to run their air conditioners etc during the day but not much at night and even have the lights off at night, and building extra generating capacity for daytime use is expensive so they use the surplus energy at night to pump the water uphill, then extract energy from the water when it flows back downhill to meet peak demand without building more power plants.

Now if you added fresnel lenses to that what would happen? The whole system would get much more mineral deposits etc in the water, and of course the water that evaporated can't produce any energy as it flows downhill so that would be a loss compared to the current system. You'd have to see how much energy you'd get from the condensation water flowing back down the hill, but if you're proposing to use that for drinking you'd have to keep it separate from the undistilled water, right?

originally posted by: MysterX
There are ways to pump fluids using hydraulic pressure that requires absolutely no external energy...can even pump water up hill using the same principles.

At night the same energy free pumping can produce energy using micro water screws / turbines inside the tubes, using gravity as the power source.

Look up "Hydraulic Water Ram Pump" and "Water Hammer" for more information on these devices.
Those do require external energy in the form of the kinetic energy of flowing water so you can't say "that requires absolutely no external energy", unless you want to be wrong.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.techedmagazine.com... shows a solar still. Is this what you are describing?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Trees can lift water to great height. Does a cigarette filter need any outside energy to suck water up?

Disregard deny ignore

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
www.techedmagazine.com... shows a solar still. Is this what you are describing?
My take was it's half solar still and half solar-powered hydroelectric or something like that.

The solar still gives you water, but he's trying to get water AND energy out, from the thread title.
edit on 18-6-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think the best way would be to have geothermal energy.
they can dig Very deep holes now!
all they would need to do is pump in water.
and get high pressure steam out.
this will give a lot more power than than you use to pump in the water.
and if it rains a lot. then free water!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm glad nobody said it wasn't a good idea. Some people had a problem with getting water up the hill maybe a aqueduct system powered by waves. This thread was more a design for water desalinization but I' felt steam could generate some power and if it's by the sea wind steam and solar combo if steam wasn't enough. Thanks everyone for your input if I try to put together a small scale crude experiment I'll post it

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I have a spare water ram home - really easy to DIY build, it is not in use atm but it was meant to bring water uphill from a small water stream for the cattle.
The problem is that you need way more work to prepare the spot for its installation that for building the pump itself, also, cavitation shocks are generated by the pump - its even the core principle of the pump.

I don't see how you could use a water ram to pump sea water.
Even with a small stream, the pump works 24/7 all year long ... until winter comes and it freezes. You can pump a lot of water with that. Given that it was in a remote location, I considered at some stage to use the excess water to run a small turbine but, it's the piping costs that is biggest issue in order to make this solution competitive against solar panels.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join