It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern Baptists urged to reject any laws legalizing gay marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Prepare for civil disobedience.

That’s the message one prominent pastor is sending to some 16 million members of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Jack Graham, pastor of Prestonwood Baptist Church in Texas, said American Christians should be prepared for massive fallout if the Supreme Court legalizes same-sex unions.

“We want to stay in the system,” Graham told me in a telephone interview. “We want to work in the system. We want to support our government. We want to obey its laws.”

But.

“But there’s a coming a day, I believe, that many Christians personally and churches corporately will need to practice civil disobedience on this issue.”
[SNIP]

Link

Does gay marriage send the wrong signals to children?

If gay marriage is so widely accepted than why isn't it legal in all 50 states?

What does gay marriage say about the society that supports it?

edit on 17-6-2015 by deathslayer because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: Please respect ATS T&C policy in regards to limiting the length of externally quoted material. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: deathslayer

that is fair gays have urged people to ignore the southern baptist!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

lets see, divorce, war, road rage, drunks, guns, anti-depressants, etc. I think there are many other examples for children to get that are terrible, doesn't stop those from happening either.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Can WE just REJECT SOUTHERN BAPTISTS!?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

lets see, divorce, war, road rage, drunks, guns, anti-depressants, etc. I think there are many other examples for children to get that are terrible, doesn't stop those from happening either.

I agree however since my birth (over five decades.... closer to six) society has changed and I do not think for the better. It has been going down hill for decades.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

1. I guess if you believe that equal rights are a "wrong signal."
2. Growth is a process.
3. That the society values equal rights for all its members.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Prior to that there were other problems and being gay was not one of them, why single out gay now?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Romans 13

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

Hypocrites!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
These churches should lose their tax free status. The reason why they have that status is because they are supposed to stay out of the law making process this clearly violates that.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
There's nothing for the church to "disobey". They don't have to accept marriage equality. No one cares.

originally posted by: deathslayer

What message is that? That love is love? That people should be treated equally under the law?

It will be. The majority of states have legalized it. Eventually, they all would.

That we support the Constitution? Equal treatment under the law? Love is love? Your marriage is NONE of my business and mine is none of yours. Some pretty hopeful stuff.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I agree however since my birth (over five decades.... closer to six) society has changed and I do not think for the better. It has been going down hill for decades.

A common sentiment shared by successive generations from time immemorial. Are you familiar with the Golden Age Fallacy? You might want to read up on it.

Consider the cliché "the good old days" which dates back to AT LEAST the early 18th century. The sentiment is so ancient that there's a Latin phrase for people who hold it as well, laudator temporis acti, which translates to "one who praises the past."
edit on 2015-6-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
There really isn't any logical reason to oppose gay marriage except on moral or religious grounds. It may be personally disagreeable for two men or two women to be together as a couple, but that doesn't give us the authority to deny our fellow citizens equal legal protection under the law.

Give gays their rights, give people their guns and legalize pot. It is always my opinion to ere on the side of liberty and limit Government (and religious) intrusion into personal decisions.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Nice checkmate.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

If there is one of "God's" laws we should follow, it's "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" , and let it go at that. The rest is just made up BS by a bunch of old men, trying to control their followers. If "God" made us, made us what and who we are, how can "He" be offended by what we do? "He" made gay people gay, so why do we think to question "His" judgement? Or do believers not think for themselves ? If your god made everything, knows everything, can see everything, do you think "He" didn't plan all this? But, go right ahead, hate someone just because they don't do what You think is right.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Prior to that there were other problems and being gay was not one of them, why single out gay now?

God judges over mankind, not me.

I am not judging anyone.

I was not put here to judge any man or woman.

We all have free will and the right to make our own decisions whether right or wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm all for equal rights (including those of the unborn).

I have some great friends who try so hard to convince me that this is wrong. They also try to convince me that dinosaurs did not exist and that the earth is 6,000 years old.

I love my friends. They are great people, kind people. They would not turn anyone away nor would they turn away from anyone in need, regardless of who they were or how they thought.

We just happen to disagree on this as I'm sure many will disagree.

They won't hate, they won't protest. They'll simply disagree. As I do about about the whole dino thing and the age of the earth thing.

(earth age is actually "29" Mother Nature told me
)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

We haven't had a gay marriage thread for agggessss!!

Anyone else want popcorn?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

We haven't had a gay marriage thread for agggessss!!

Anyone else want popcorn?

that sounded like a super gay reference.
I think I am now offended..

"pop" corn... Wow man.. kidding

I support free speech.. Of course I am going to have to speak up now in defense of people getting to be people. Our laws should have nothing to do with marriage.. Take that out.. Let marriage be religious.. Then give everyone who wants one a union license that says you are now acting as an entity... until a new contract (not called divorce) gets enacted saying you are separate entities. Any 2 people above 18 can enter into any contract together as long as it is legal.. The church will then accept that only it can hand out marriages.. And it will then also accept that it's not a part of the government at all..

Is it really so hard?
edit on 17-6-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Here's what I don't understand. Why do they care? How does it affect them?

If it's because it goes against the Bible, there are a lot of things that go against the Bible that are completely legal in the US. Even with marriage, adultery & divorce are both against the Bible yet completely legal here. So why take the stand on "gay marriage"? This reminds me of the anti-interracial marriage/miscegenation laws the US used to have.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Totally agree with you, and I'm sure the LGBT community would be happy with that compromise. I don't know any gay couple that wants to marry in a church, why would they want to marry in a place that treats them like crap!!

And it would be great karma seeing the church loosing it's tax exemption.

"you reap what you sow"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join