It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time traveling robots from the future?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

This sounds like Roko's Basilisk. It was introduced to me by a friend with some interest in AI. Worth a read if AI interests or frightens you.

Roko’s Basilisk exists at the horizon where philosophical thought experiment blurs into urban legend. The Basilisk made its first appearance on the discussion board LessWrong, a gathering point for highly analytical sorts interested in optimizing their thinking, their lives, and the world through mathematics and rationality. LessWrong’s founder, Eliezer Yudkowsky, is a significant figure in techno-futurism; his research institute, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute, which funds and promotes research around the advancement of artificial intelligence, has been boosted and funded by high-profile techies like Peter Thiel and Ray Kurzweil, and Yudkowsky is a prominent contributor to academic discussions of technological ethics and decision theory. What you are about to read may sound strange and even crazy, but some very influential and wealthy scientists and techies believe it.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

In addition to FAST (precrime technology) there is
also the "trans-humnist" WBE to contend with.
AKA "mind uploading" or Whole Brain Emulation.

In the future, here will be no jury debating whether
there is reasonable doubt if you did the crime. There
be no need for such an archaic method, instead the
"authorities" will merely consult your mind print.

Whole brain emulation (WBE) or mind uploading (sometimes called "mind print" or "mind transfer") is the hypothetical process of copying mental content (including long-term memory and "self") from a particular brain substrate and copying it to a computational device, such as a digital, analog, quantum-based or software-based artificial neural network. The computational device could then run a simulation model of the brain information processing, such that it responds in essentially the same way as the original brain (i.e., indistinguishable from the brain for all relevant purposes)

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 17-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This most be a ploy to get us all to watch the new terminator.!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've been saying this for years. They're collecting data on all of us, have not the man power to sift through it, but will have the computing power to within a couple of decades. This guy is pretty far behind if he's just now having this thought. I got over it a long time ago.

Also, where did you get that thread title from? Your opening post has nothing to do with "time-traveling robots". They're looking through data from the past. Did you see the word, "retroactive" so retro, man! as in, the past.
edit on 17-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think the chain reaction of changing events would be to unpredictable or devastating to arrest multiple people. Maybe if you sean conner you should be worried about this!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

... where did you get that thread title from? Your opening post has nothing to do with "time-traveling robots". They're looking through data from the past.

here is the quote:

Noting that AI is still in its very early stages, with facial and speech recognition still relatively primitive, Templeton said that this wouldn’t always be the case and that, “We have to worry about the threat of time traveling robots from the future.”

Templeton was the Chairman of the Board of the Electronic Frontier Foundation for ten years.

But you are correct, the issue is privacy, not time travel.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This sounds kinda like minority report! They would not have to send a robot, itd be much easier to tip off police in our time!
edit on 17-6-2015 by eli27 because: mis print

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Thanks, I missed that entirely. Gonna go ahead and read it now. Certainly possible.

Okay I finished reading it. I differ pretty large in conclusions of what this means for us. I think it's assumption to think of AI as our overlords who would want to punish us, just cause.

You know what happens when someone gets real with their selves and the world around them? They stop seeing events and people as static, and categorizable in black and white terms. I think we're all beautiful, monstrous, capable of perceived evil, good, and so forth... depending on a complex of factors constantly stumbling around our psyches and life-situations.

I think what we'll have to do is give people more slack, honestly. Once I realized my crap reeeeeeked, I had to allow other ppls crap to reek as well. Now, an intelligence that is all too aware of our collective crap sloshing around, how would it be reasonable to punish us all for events far in the past. Who would be left to boss around?
edit on 17-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't think it'll happen. If Kurzweil is on target for singularity; by the time AI is powerful enough to invent time travel it'll be so far beyond our capacity to understand that it probably won't care about what we do much less want to solve crimes for us.

Also, if it was possible in the future to travel back wouldn't it already be happening?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Also, if it was possible in the future to travel back wouldn't it already be happening?

Sorry I just love these thoughts, don't wanna hog the thread, but basically mathematically if it can be done, it already has, and we're living through one of infinite alternate timelines that has been muddled by incalculable species from the future.

I reach the same conclusion. Shoulder shrugging. If so, what does it matter? It perhaps always was. Aliens? UFO's? Time traveling party crashers? IDK, but basically if we can, we already have.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Many who read the title of this thread probably laughed, but I see the inevitable.

The algorithm to bridge the gap between human consciousness and A.I. is very quickly being solved.

A robot with A.I. does not need to conform to human ergonomics. It can insert and duplicate its own consciousness into other devices thus creating a swarm, yet can still operate as a single organism.

If time travel requires travelling at the speed of light, then they can send their programmed consciousness via laser. Of course there will have to be compatible hardware for their software to link into at their final destination.

But in (my) theory, time travel will be easier for robots than humans, because we cannot separate our consciousness from our organics, then bond with a suitable avatar at the end point. However robots simply need to send their consciousness via a data-stream. Then provided the destination hardware is compatible the transition should be fluid.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There will be some people that cannot be "simulated", due to a high level of inaccuracy in the data that is collected on them. Some simple examples would be homeless people, old people that don't use credit or the internet and low wage earners functioning on cash, using cell phones etc on a relatives account that their name is not on (I have a brother-in that does all of the above and couch surfs, there's no way a simulation would know anything about him because he has virtually no digital footprint).

When this "simulation" becomes a real part of business revenue projections and directly influences tax revenue projections and collection methods, these people that "cannot be simulated" will be labeled criminals and put on some kind of supervised probation and forced to adapt habits that can be tracked digitally. I can GUARANTEE it.

Millennial's however are likely the easiest to simulate because they already gave away the keys to the castle and have no intention of taking those keys back. Millennial's falsely believe tech will save and unite them, when in reality it was designed by "corporate committee" to do just the opposite. The only way to prevent that shift, is for Millennial's to STOP buying such tech, opposing the development of said tech and discouraging others from buying and using it, even if it means using force. But, they will NEVER do this because they drank the cool-aid and are also addicted to technology. Think about it, I'm seeing commercials for ordering pizza on a phone app, whats the point? To appease Millennial's. Did this cohort take the time to think about whether it is really more convenient to type an order in on an app, than calling the order in on a phone? No they didn't AND by using the phone app to place a FOOD ORDER instead of a phone the pizza seller can then become a data broker making money selling customer info.

Consumers will not have choices in the future because purchases and dictated behaviors will be mandatory in some way. "Click-Wrap Agreements" and a cashless society will make that transition easier for the "Owners of Capital" to force on the general populace. Now add in an accurate "simulated you" owned by big corporations and the government, we can all easily see that "quotas" for behavior and purchases won't be far behind.

Policies structured like Obamacare should have taught us ALL how these kinds of scenarios will play out. Obamacare is merely the test run of how to implement legislated purchases on a large scale. "Click-Wrap Agreements" a cashless society will only strengthen similar policies in the future.

What do I mean exactly?

Many forget that we now live in what "could" be considered a fascist country, with oligopolies running it behind the scenes. What usually results, is a situation where the "owners of capital", can and will "legislate" mandatory purchases in the future, if revenue does not match their expectations or projections (for the good of the nation of course, i.e., Too-Big-to-Fail).

So for example, if someone chooses not to buy unneeded goods or services, they will simply pay a "penalty" at tax time or some scheme involving a "negative interest rate". When the "owners of capital" run out of consumer goods that they can "strongly coerce" people to buy, in order to go to work, such as, gasoline, internet connection, car insurance, bus/subway fare, cell phones, suits/uniforms, soap, deodorant, razors, etc, one day, they will simply make it law that you have to buy them, in certain quantities before tax season (the current Healthcare dependent, Flexible Spending Account, FSA, is just the pilot program, one day we will have an FSA for ALL goods and services, and you can bet they will be use-it or lose-it). Also, since you won't own these new "digital cars" or "digital media" that means you could be billed for "damage to the vehicle or product" from the "real owners" at any time.

You will not be allowed to be frugal in the future because the "owners of capital" will take close to the same amount back, when a person tries to save money by reducing purchases, in the form of "tax penalties" or other method (cashless, digital currency,, negative interest rate, deductions from bank accounts whenever the "owners of capital" see fit). A cashless society, dominated by "click-wrap agreements" is the easiest way to structure "forced purchases" into the larger economy. Another scenario in the future is when someone chooses "not to buy" and then doesn't have the proper "proof of purchase" coupon, etc, to prove they bought these items, in the required quantities, when tax fillings come due, the IRS will have some way to calculate the amount "you should have purchased" (sounds a little like a college FASFA in reverse).

Look at solar roof panels, for example, many local governments are taxing people for installing them because they reduce dependence on local utilities, which in turn drive down privatized revenue being collected by the contract companies hired running the utilities.

I choose to not trust the intentions of corporations, AT ALL TIMES. The tech being created today is merely a tool of the "Owners of Capital" to oppress regular people. IN THE NEAR FUTURE, tech will absolutely be designed and bound to do the bidding of corporations and to enforce the will of government. It will not be independent of the real "owners of capital", by any stretch of the imagination.

Note, I said OWNERS, not "creators", "purchasers" or "users".

First, AI is going to make regular people jobless
Second, it is going to steal what few liberties and freedoms we have left
Third, it will make human life valueless to the true "Owners of Capital", many of whom are Closeted Fascists

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
There is no legal framework for this. New laws inherently "grandfather" in prior actions.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join