It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Senate approves amended 'Ban the Box' bill, aimed at helping ex-convicts get jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
source

SALEM — The state Senate on Thursday approved legislation banning employers from asking about criminal history on job applications, a change aimed at removing work barriers for ex-convicts.

Good. More people are starting to realizing that locking people out of the economy is not only bad for business but creates unsafe conditions in their neighborhopds. They also realize that most people just want to start a new life. They are also tired of spending billions and billions on prisons and subsidies supporting these people. Why not let tem get back to work?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
They might stop asking, but it doesnt stop therm from doing a background check in the hiring process...

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

This is good. Too many people are prevented from trying to start over and survive legitimately after prison because of the way the system is biased.

People *do* change, and not everyone should be stigmatized and locked out after they've "paid the price." Doing so only fuels the problem. And not doing so only adds to the problem.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

This is movement in the right direction.

Hopefully this can continue to build enough momentum. A lot of politicians are starting to talk about prison reform and the first step is keeping people out in the first place.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

While prison reform is certainly needed, a good first step in avoiding prison is like...not breaking the law and stuff.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

People make mistake and no one is perfect not even you!

Let's be more caring about people for a change in this country.

We need to connect with one another more and stop this I'm better than you crap asap.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Never said I was.

But I'm also not going to bother with the game tonight. Same ol' victim card.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I really don't see what good this will do. So the employer doesn't ask the potential employe...the employer will still do a background check, and simply find what the potential employee did not tell in the first place. Which will make the potential employee even more suspect. Seems like more us less laws to me.
edit on 17-6-2015 by jackjoedoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: jackjoedoe

its a sign that they are paying attention to a serious problem.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
We have to many situations where a person is held down for a lifetime with no chance of prole.

new topics

top topics

join