It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unfulfilled prophecies in the Bible prove its NOT the authority as the word of God

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
With all the threads on ATS regarding “The End Times”, and the coming “Rupture” (which is 2000 years over due), I thought I would take a moment to see how many “Biblical Prophecies” have ever come true!

Christians like to support their argument that the Bible is God’s word and not man’s word, with the argument of fulfilled prophecies in the Bible. However most Christians were never told, that many of the alleged fulfilled prophecies were not even prophecies in the first place, and that there is a long list of failed prophecies in both the Old and New Testaments.

Let’s look at some of the alleged “Fulfilled Prophecies”

Failed, expired, and unfulfilled prophecies

Below Jesus clearly predicts that his Second Coming will be during the lifetimes of the First Century Christians who lived in their time.

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28)

"But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27)

Jesus clearly predicted in those two verses above that the apostles standing with him would see his second coming in their lifetimes. It's clear and simple, nothing allegorical or symbolical.

In the following three verses, Jesus says that the generation living at the time would experience his second coming.

"So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done." (Mark 13:29-30)

"So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled." (Luke 21:31-32)

"So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." (Matthew 24:33-34)

Obviously, that generation that Jesus was speaking to has long since passed! So why do Christians still insist that the Jesus will come again despite being 2000 years late from what he says in his own words?

Ezekiel made a prophecy that in 587BC, at the time when Nebuchadnezzar was laying siege on Tyre.

Ezekiel 26:7-14
For thus says the Lord: "Behold I will bring upon Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, king of kings, with horses and chariots, and with horsemen and a hosts of many soldiers. He will slay with the sword your daughters on the mainland; he will set up a siege wall against you. He will direct the shock of his battering rams against your walls, and with his axes he will break down your towers...With the hoofs of his horses he will trample all your streets; he will slay your people with the sword and your mighty pillar will fall to the ground...they will break down your walls and destroy your pleasant houses... I will make you a bare rock...you shall never be rebuilt, for I have spoken," says the Lord God.

The whole passage clearly prophesied the complete destruction of Tyre by Nebuchadnezzar. However, the vivid description of the fall of Tyre never happened. Nebuchadnezzar did not destroy Tyre. Tyre was destroyed by Alexander the Great, 240 years later. And furthermore, despite the prophet, the city of Tyre was eventually rebuilt.

Here God tells Isaac that his descendents (Hebrews) will be as numerous as the stars. Considering the number of stars there are in the universe, that would have to be on the order of Billions if not trillions of Jewish people.

Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.

The river mentioned here is the Nile. The Nile is still one of Egypt's greatest natural resource.

Isaiah 19:4-5 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts. And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.

The Canaanite language has never been spoken in Egypt, and is now an extinct.

Isaiah 19:18 In that day shall five cities in the land of Egypt speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the LORD of hosts; one shall be called, The city of destruction.

Never in its history has Egypt ever been uninhabited for forty years.

Ezekiel 29:10-11 Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years.

Nowhere in the Old Testament is such a prophecy found, so how could such a one be fulfilled?

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Sad thing is Christians were stating they were living in “The End of Days” nearly 2000 years ago as did;

John’s Predictions
John believes “the time is at hand,” and that the things that he writes about in Revelation will “shortly come to pass.” Revelations 1:1-3
John quotes Jesus (1900 years ago) as saying he will come “quickly.” Revelations 22:7, 12 & 20
John thinks he is living in “the last times.” He “knows” this because he sees so many antichrists around. 1 John 2:18
John says that the antichrist was already present at the time 1 John was written. 1 John 4:3
John quotes Jesus (1900 years ago) as saying he will come “quickly.” Revelations 3:11, 22:7, 12 & 20

Paul’s Predictions
Paul thought that the end was near and that Jesus would return soon after he wrote these words. Philippians 4:5
Paul believes he is living in the “last days.” Hebrews 1:2
Paul believed that Jesus would come “in a little while, and will not tarry.” Hebrews 10:37
In 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 Paul stated: “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: And the dead Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: And so shall we ever be with the Lord.”

I could even find prophecy fulfilment in the modern Harry Potter books too. But that doesn’t make these books the infallible divinely inspired word of God! Nor would it mean that our eternal destiny hangs on what they say!

Is it not about time that we take a good hard look at religion and realise that it does not foretell the end of the world and there will be no second coming or rapture.

edit on 17.6.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
To add, this is not an attack on just the bible as false prophecies appear in the Old Testament (Torah) and the Quran and I could have given examples of both books. Just can’t understand that as a species we have flown and landed on the Moon and yet we still take credence from a book written by man over 2000 years ago that believe the world was flat and the Sun was magic.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
One mans prophet is another mans story teller.

A lot depends on perspective and interpretation. You present prophecies are a foretelling of events, or visions of the future recorded as best as possible given the primitive understanding of modern events?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
One mans prophet is another mans story teller.

A lot depends on perspective and interpretation. You present prophecies are a foretelling of events, or visions of the future recorded as best as possible given the primitive understanding of modern events?

Totally concur with your point however unfortunately, "SOME" religious folks are using this primitive story telling as an excuse to impose their views on society, for example ISIS and the fundamental Right Wing Conservatives in the US.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

unfortunately, "SOME" religious folks are using this primitive story telling as an excuse to impose their views on society…

Oh, I agree. Don't let that spoil any search for truth for you.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I am on your side, though I find the bible to just be full of codes, so I could never take the prophesies as literal.
I cannot assume the bible as one book or one source, or even one philosophy.. It's divergent.

Those silly Romans.. Rule by Fear...

I'd like my god to make cool prophesies, like dragons and elves, that come down to party and we all make cool angel devil rock music and change colors... But no the bible is all like Die Die Die fear Fire forever eternal Hell die die die...

Parasitic god.. Yucky.

please don't hurt me.
I support Love.

I have a prophesy.

" The world is getting better and more free
for as long as I am me..
We avoid world war three,
and evolve cooperatively. "

I hope that one comes true.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

I have a prophesy.

" The world is getting better and more free
for as long as I am me..
We avoid world war three,
and evolve cooperatively. "

I hope that one comes true.

That's a great poem! did you make that up yourself?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

haha I just wrote it. As much as it was me and not ... the "muse"
I try and source everything not mine.

I am glad you like it.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

S/F

Hey, did you mean to type "Rupture" in the opening sentence?
Made me laugh.

I see you typed 'rapture' in the last paragraph. I think "Rupture" is perfect. FWIW.

Yeah.....no - the Bible. the Qur'an, the Torah -- none are the "authentic word" of anyone but a bunch of men who heard the stories handed down orally for generations until someone finally wrote them down. After that, it was read, rinse, rearrange, and repeat. No invisible sky author. Just guys being, well, guys.

edit on 6/17/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The prophecies will continue to come true over and over again until you are satisfied with the manner which they are presented to you or you die of old age.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

S/F

Made me laugh.

I bet they did.

I found that funny as well, though in a dark humor sort of way.. In my original response I mentioned the word usage Rupture as a way of saying escaping gods wrath, or even getting off the planet, could be splitting god or splitting infinity.. Rupturing time lines.. Something like that.. Then I decided to erase that part, and look how long that lasted.

I went on to talk about fractals and time.. And how my life could be the representation of human history as a microcosm.. But my story is personal to me. I think they call it the heroes journey.

And if I don't make sense it's ok, don't take my word for it.. I am quite confused.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Flamma,

I take it your new to bible prophecies... The examples you give are out of context and misrepresented. When dissecting the bible I emplore you to use a method called "Exegesis"

Exegesis (/ˌɛksəˈdʒiːsəs/; from the Greek ἐξήγησις from ἐξηγεῖσθαι 'to lead out') is a critical explanation or interpretation of a text, particularly a religious text. Traditionally the term was used primarily for work with the Bible; however, in modern usage "biblical exegesis" is used for greater specificity to distinguish it from any other broader critical text explanation. Exegesis includes a wide range of critical disciplines: textual criticism is the investigation into the history and origins of the text, but exegesis may include the study of the historical and cultural backgrounds for the author, the text, and the original audience. Other analysis includes classification of the type of literary genres present in the text, and an analysis of grammatical and syntactical features in the text itself.

To give an Example:

Matt: 16:28 is the same story as Mark 9:1 - Which speaks to the kingdom of God present with Power... i.e. Christianity with political influence if you will... This is not in reference to the second coming in Revelations...

The above is a prime example why you cannot cherry pick items and expect them to explain everything. It must be within context. That is also why you have the different books of the new testament written by different authors... This was to give different views of events from different perspective so that all could read and discern from multiple views of the same event. You will also see multiple prophecies spoken in the bible from different authors and spoken about differently.

another example:

Mark 13:29 is out of context... Read the whole passage as Christ is talking about a future generation as that is the audience...

Luke 31: this is a repeat of the above... Again out of context.

Again with Mathew... Out of context and improper dissection of scripture....

Your quote of Ezekial on the fall of Tyre... The book of Ezekial not only speaks of Nebuchadnezzar's actual reign but also those preceding his reign. Check out this page which does a great job explaining the prophecies by daniel of which ezekial was speaking of: www.propheciesofdaniel.com... The author of this page goes to great length to use Exegesis to put you in the shoes of Daniel during the time and to help you understand the prophecies from the very beginning. Please watch the Videos in full and in order as it will not make sense unless you do.

Your genesis reference is not to just Jewish people but that the offspring would continue to multiply and be more than the stars in heaven... This is not a literal translation as the stars in the heavens out number every living thing on this planet since the beginning of time by millions upon millions fold. Dont take every line of scripture as literal another mistake newbies to the bible often make...

Isaiah references about language:

The Canaanite languages are a subfamily of the Semitic languages, which were spoken by the ancient peoples of the Canaan region, the Canaanites (including the Israelites and Phoenicians), Amorites, Ammonites, Moabites, Edomites, and Carthaginians. All of them seem to have become extinct as native languages by the early 1st millennium CE (although it is uncertain how long Punic survived), although distinct forms of Hebrew remained in continuous literary and religious use among Jews and Samaritans. This family of languages has the distinction of being the first group of languages to use an alphabet, derived from the Proto-Canaanite alphabet, to record their writings. The Phoenician and Carthaginian expansion spread the Phoenician language and its Punic dialect to the Western Mediterranean for a time, but there too it died out, although it seems to have survived slightly longer than in Phoenicia itself.

As you stated that it was never spoken in heliopolis but I beg to differ. Please provide EVIDENCE to your claim that no Semetic Languages were spoken in that time.

Revelations:

This is one of the most difficult prophetic books to read and to discern the true meaning. Without the help of the prophecies of Daniel and others the book of Revelations would be much harder to discern its message. Notice how I do not say "Interpret" I do not use that word because to Interpret would mean to interject your own thoughts and beliefs into the message. We are ~2000 years after this was written... I think there might be some differences in culture from then and now....

REV 1:1-3 is a preface not a prophecy. and "soon to come to pass" on whos clock are we watching this? it would be the one giving the message right... so if it is angelic and the Son of God do you think their time scale would be different from ours given that they experience Eternity??? Making the assumption that it is in John's time is incorrect and to the wrong audience... this is for a future reader not to John.

REV22:

John and the Angel 6 The angel said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God who inspires the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place.” 7 “Look, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy written in this scroll.” 8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. 9 But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!” 10 Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near. 11 Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.”

You missed the whole point of that verse and scripture... With that being said:

I would like to go through each of your scriptures and point out the issues but I am at work and this has taken up a good bit of my time. So with that I say keep studying.

Just know that what you have stated in your OP is only partial information that is mainly out of context or to the wrong audience. Please take the time to read the whole chapters and use study aides to help you find the assisting chapters in other books of the same stories... What may be categorized as one thing may be better written in another book! So please do not pick and choose scriptures! Post the whole chapter, the author, who the intended audience is and what you understand of the current environment both politically and socially. This is the practice of Exegesis and the proper dissection of any historical account!

Best of Luck!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: APOCOLYPSE DAWN

Thanks but no thanks! no need to go through each scripture I gave an example off as I am sure we could play that game all day.

Personally, I do not believe in any "MAN MADE" religion but I was expecting someone to come along to state "you have it out of context".

Thanks for reading anyway!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

S/F

Made me laugh.

I see you typed 'rapture' in the last paragraph. I think "Rupture" is perfect. FWIW.

Darn it!!! the four hour window has passed so I cant change the spelling by editing the post! ;(

It is amusing when you read back

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: APOCOLYPSE DAWN
Don't pick and choose scriptures. Priceless.
But we'll articulated argument. Exegesis is reactionary in finding truths to text. Great tool for applying wrongs into rights.

Mark 13:29 is by no means out of context. It is a prediction for the future. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion, exegesis or not.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: APOCOLYPSE DAWN Don't bother the OP is a troll/flamer as you can clearly see by their response to you. The below quote if for you.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Not only are the Bible's prophets and their prophecies off, but they fail to mention super important events. Events that you'd expect any good prophet to see, like organ transplants and the discovery of viruses and germs, the Atom Bomb, and space travel, a man on the Moon, the Hubble Telescope, vehicles on Mars and probes to the end of the solar system.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: dthwraith

A troll???

See something in the OP that upsets your belief system? And then using scripture for your reason!! Lol whatever....

By the way, before the alleged Rapture occurs comes the "falling away" and it's religious nincompoops like you that will cause folk to leave the church and return to God!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Trolling is not entirely negative.
It is one thing to not believe or follow a religion but it is something else when you decide to infer your own interpretations then chastise the believers because their interpretation is not the same as yours.
News flash your version does not prove or disprove any beliefs.
I get that you find logic in your thoughts but you would have to believe before you can understand how others accept things you do not.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

But society has to put up with relgious folks imposing their views on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and millenial basis with their version on how we should all lead our life's due to some scripture written by shepherds who never even met your bloke Jesus.

Two way street! if the relgious right left the rest of us alone and stopped their rhetoric and trying to impose relgious laws on to society, then perhaps the rest of society will leave you guys alone to pray to your magician in the sky

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join