It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60,000 Manufacturing Plants Closed Since 2001

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Damn with those millions of manufacturing jobs everywhere how could I have no opportunities? I mean there's millions of skilled manufacturing positions everywhere with entry level openings that no one wants how could I possibly not have great opportunities around every corner

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
The idea was to become a "service industry", the problem is most of our service is to feed ourselves. Hell of a lot of mcDs and FiLa.

I think maybe they thought we'd keep the crown and churn out the best CS and EE students through the information age, but the reality is many of the best minds aren't born here, and no longer come here for an education.

Whooops!

I remember hearing this over and over again during the 2008 presidential elections, from both sides, that the US is a service based economy! The problem with this, is that the average person working in the service industry makes below a living wage
And just who are we servicing? It is basically an economy of a rich upper class being served by a poor lower class

I've taken the liberty of forwarding this article to my congressman, who is for the TPP (although a version that puts the power in the hands of congress instead of the president...)
edit on 6/17/2015 by AnonymousMoose because: derp

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Damn with those millions of manufacturing jobs everywhere how could I have no opportunities?

Who said millions? Your purposeful exageration only makes you look more ridiculous.

People like you are sad. Zimmer is one of the many manufacturers I deal with in New Jersey and they have multiple openings.

I could go on and on and I would not extend a U2U offer to people if I could not deliver.

edit on 17-6-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Did you read the article?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Did you click on the jobs link?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'll take that as a no you didn't read it.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I will take that as a 'no' you did not click on the link.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I read the Damn thing and you have no relevancy to this debate. Those are engineering jobs. The jobs lost in this article are talking about manufacturing positions with entry level positions where people could start at the bottom in apprenticed positions and learn the trade. Give me a damn break.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Those are engineering jobs.

These are all positions on the manufactuirng floor, read the damn descriptions. They are people who can operate the equipment and work on QC'ing and development.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Is there 5 million positions open for zimmer

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Apprentice? Do you mean like union jobs? That does not exist in Texas as far as I know. I've only heard of plumbers and welders using that term here. Most beginners to start out take any position in the plant they can, even if it's just mopping up and running errands. After proving that you will show up every day, volunteering for extra hours, paying close attention to the line workers and how it all functions then the supervisor might give you a chance for training for a higher paying job in the plant. In other words, you have to prove that you have good work ethics first.

And yes, anytime there is heavy machinery of course you're going to have to take drug tests, etc per the other poster that couldn't believe it.

STM

ETA: It would help to take some trade courses in the area of manufacturing that you're interested in.

edit on 17-6-2015 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seentoomuch

So if they need to hire five people at once they just have five floor moppets?

That doesn't make sense. Maybe in a small shop.

I'm also pro Union. It's no coincidence that the middle class rise and fall correlates directly to the rise and fall of the unions.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

nothing to see here folks everything is fine...

Now back to your regular scheduled programming

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

No, you go into a listed interview and when they see that you have absolutely no experience and are about to show you the door you let them know that you're willing to work your way up. Geez, haven't you ever done that? And as for the unions, good luck with that attitude.

STM

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I see.

Well to sum it up Americans are lazy. There's tons of opportunity around every corner but these dumb college kids just don't want to mop floors.

That's it.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I see.

Well to sum it up Americans are lazy. There's tons of opportunity around every corner but these dumb college kids just don't want to mop floors.

That's it.

If it's the field of work you want to have a career in you would. Everyone starts somewhere, mailroom, mopping, running errands, etc.

STM

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I teach people how to fight for far better than 10$ an hour I'm looking at the bigger picture.

Stop personalizing this and read the article and look at the issue from a national perspective.
edit on 6/17/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I teach people how to fight...

What does that have to do with manufacturing?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I read somewhere that manufacturing jobs were increasing in US now.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join