It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My kid has a voter registration form as "homework" to sign someone up. What should I do?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Does he need to turn in the form to his teacher?Since there is personal identifiable information on the form there could be a breach of personal information since your son is not an employee of the state or federal government and there will be a change in numerous hands of this form. I would not be comfortable by putting my family at risk to be reliable for other citizens personal information. I wouldnt trust the teacher or school. I would ask to do this assignment in another way, maybe going door to door and handing out pamphlets to those who haven't registered to vote.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the laws are in NY but in KY any voter registration card filled out must be turned in to the county clerk of the county in which the voter is attempting to register. Failure to turn in a filled-in registration is a misdemeanor offense. Intentionally giving false information on a voter registration card is a felony.
I'd have to ask this teacher if she has registered to conduct a voter registration drive. Again, I don't know NY laws on the issue but in KY anyone requesting more than 25 voter registration forms must register and take a training course on conducting voter registration drives. Our registration forms include date of birth and SS#.
I understand civics lessons perfectly well but this seems a bit out of bounds---using middle school students to conduct a voter registration drive?
I'd have to have a chat with the teacher. It wouldn't be the first time a bushel of good intentions went awry.
These kids are minors and likely wouldn't be charged but she needs to know the penalties of falsification of government documents. Perhaps she knows all this---and will explain her motivation to you.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I don't see what the big deal is with her homework assignment. All they're doing is teaching her the basics of voting, not WHO to vote for. People obviously grow up and vote.
edit on 16-6-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Just fill it out as if you were an illegal immigrant. Make stuff up then cry racism if the don't accept it.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Like it's legal but it might be part of a consensus crack. You wanna crack their consensus conscious minds sign up someone as Independent.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

...or Communist.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Welcome to the Obamanation. They can't do math in their heads anymore or recognize English but they can be good little Obama youth and go to riots, endorse candidates, and probably recite the communist manifesto soon.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: prisoner60863

Just help your child with the assignment, what harm does knowing how to register to vote do to anyone?
edit on 17-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
I don't see what the big deal is with her homework assignment. All they're doing is teaching her the basics of voting, not WHO to vote for. People obviously grow up and vote.

No you see, teaching young people how to vote is a conspiracy against conservatives!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I've been trying to figure out how anyone could be distressed over this. It boggles the mind.

You don't want your child to know how to fill out a form? Or ever vote? I mean, wth?

When I was in 7th grade we filled out checks and balanced a checkbook to learn how to do that.

Those were fake too.

Seriously, you can't freak out over everything your child does. He is going to have to learn to function in this world, and school is trying to help them by giving them some tools to do that.

I would like to know your perception of this though, as I have reached an impasse in trying to make it reasonable. What is it you fear? What do you think they are trying to do?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
many people are suggesting putting in fake information but I do believe on the voter registration form that I filled out, you have to swear under felony penalty that the information is true...so well, I wouldn't just make up the information.
and I'd have some misgivings as far gathering this kind of information- social security number- from another person to share with someone else, even if it is your child's teacher.
I would probably contact her and discuss this concern with her, and well depending on how this discussion when I would either not let my child do the assignment, or well let her do it, personally bring the form to class to the teacher, or could review it, but wouldn't be allowed to note any of the information on it, and then I'd bring the form to the registration office personally and explain to them why I am doing it.....
or you could just write in the space where it asked for the ss# the words leave blank

ya know when those social security numbers first came out I do believe that the people were promised that it would only be used for the social security program. it's now the number one method for indentifying us, maybe you should turn this assignment around on the teacher...and make it a lesson on identity theft! no one should be putting their information onto a form and giving it to a child!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is some crazy sh!t on this thread. GAWD. No wonder the country is going nuts. People too paranoid to vote.

Alrighty then! Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
so, you would give a child a form that has your name, birthdate, social security number on it so they can go to school and give it to a teacher who you may not know, or maybe lose it on the way? really? no wonder indendity theft is so big in this country!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Oh for pity's sake. Leave the SS# blank. I do on everything I fill out. No big deal. When the person actually registers for real, it will be required, until then, nada. Some kids don't have them anyway.

It's just a guess but I'm relatively sure the school already has the name and birthdate. : )

SS# too, for that matter, when the child has one.
This is making a big deal out of absolutely nothing. I'm out.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
from the comments from the person who posted the op, I get the impression that she thinks this is for real, which means for it to be correctly done, it would have to have the SS# and couldn't be done by anyone not of voting age.
if it was to be just for educational purposes and not to be carried on to the actual registration, I am sure that the assignment would say that since you wouldn't want people believing that they signed up to vote when you have no intention of carrying through. also if it was just for ed. purposes a fake form could have made up that didn't ask for such sensitive information like ss# and birthdate, or phone number for that case..

edit on 17-6-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Welcome to the Obamanation. They can't do math in their heads anymore or recognize English but they can be good little Obama youth and go to riots, endorse candidates, and probably recite the communist manifesto soon.

At least Obamaa side wants to count votes and not just have the Supreme Court appoint a president

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Why wouldn't you want more people voting?

Because your average person is politically ignorant, and either votes the way friends/family do, what society accepts as "cool" at the time, or by what they hear on TV--none of which are a good reason for voting for someone.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

just out of curiosity, what are the basis of intelligent voting?

I do listen to what is said on tv, especially if it's a politician saying it.. ya see, I don't vote for those I catch telling lies...
I suppose that I could go and check out their voting record but well, that will only tell me part of the story since most of these bills have pages upon pages of crap and well, somewhere in them there often is something that everyone agrees has to be passed or else very bad things happen.
I could investigate and try to determine who is being bought off by whom, but I'd probably find they are all bought off.
but, to be quit honest, that's a heck of alot of digging and investigating and most people just don't have the time, so they are resorting to what the tv says, or this group or that one about the candidates which are probably telling them non-truths or half truths.
of course, I usually find listening to what they say on tv and catching the lies they are telling an adequate way of weeding out most of the candidates and well, not voting for any of them.

edit on 17-6-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: prisoner60863

You don't have to affiliate on a voter registration form but what issue do you have with your daughter if she does identify with one party or another?
It's not like you're locked in and have to vote a party line.
She's not voting for another four years or so anyway.
We had work applications to practice filling them out. We even had passport applications when I went to school. Filling out forms is a life skill every kid needs to learn. Like making scrambled eggs so they don't starve.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join