It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Looking Harder at 757 Replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
In yet another comment on the topic of a 757 replacement, Boeing said at the Paris Air Show that they will be moving ahead with a study of a clean sheet design for a 757 replacement style aircraft.

www.seattletimes.com...

PARIS — Boeing is moving forward with a study of an all-new commercial jet that would enter service in the middle of the next decade, sales chief John Wojick said in an interview ahead of the Paris Air Show.

In the past year, Wojick’s sales team has had detailed discussions with airline customers and has determined that the market is big enough to potentially go forward with a multibillion-dollar investment to build the first all-new jet since the 787 Dreamliner, launched in 2003.

Wojick said Boeing is looking at a plane seating 220 to 280 passengers with a range of 4,500 to 5,000 miles.

A timeline of 2025 seems pretty ambitious, so we'll see.

“A year ago, we weren’t convinced the market was large enough to be of that much interest,” Wojick said. “What we’ve determined over the past year is that it’s larger than we thought.”

Yeah, I bet airlines buying up new model A321s left and right as replacements for their old 75s helped convince you.

Boeing has gone back and forth a lot on this topic over the years. Hopefully they'll actually move forward with it this time instead of just offering another stretched 737 as a substandard 757 replacement.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

One of the big airlines a few months ago hinted that they were further along and had specs already laid out.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

But will the new bird be as sexy as the 75's were and are?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I can see it looking like a down sized and slightly evolved 787. Heavy on the composites with super high efficiency engines.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Yeah, I figured as much, considering that the 787 might as well be the "767 2.0, 100% new and improved!"

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I,m waiting for airliner designers to start using the tricks from Military aircraft like Plasma and shape changing materials..Composites are so 1990,s..

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Some buzz about it at the Paris Air Show:

www.bloomberg.com...

new topics

top topics

join