It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great string arrangements in rock and pop songs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Haha yeah the newgrass scene seems to have way more of that element of rock and roll than the old-school stuff.

ETA I missed your 'Dead edit up there haha. I'm not what you would call a huge fan of the 'Dead, but American Beauty is one hell of a pretty album. Grinsman was (and probably still is) the only mando player I could name-drop because of 'Ripple' haha
edit on 6/16/2015 by WizardVanWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I've been to DelFest every year since 2012 and each year I have a blast. Lot's of bluegrass and everyone is having a great time (plus moonshine!) Though one year they had the Trey Anastasio Band there, not sure how they fit into bluegrass, but I could deal with some Phish fans for a weekend. From what I understand, Trey is a big friend of Del's, so that must have been why it happened.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Classic with Strings....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Got to have the moonshine. Bluegrass without moonshine is like metal without guitars.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WizardVanWizard

Aw come on man. Sam Bush invented pretty much all the modern mandolin bluegrass stylings. He's like the Eric Clapton of the mandolin.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Got to have the moonshine. Bluegrass without moonshine is like metal without guitars.

You know it!

It's sweeter than sin!

(ok I know this isn't TECHNICALLY a string song, but it does have a mandolin player in it)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A couple I forgot about:

If I'm not mistaken, theres both a cello and it's little brother the viola in this song.
The violin at 3:05 is haunting.

Petra Haden of The Decemberists played violin on this song. Her part is at about the 2:37 mark. Simple but beautiful.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Haha like I said, I'm a noob. Makes sense though what with all the lightning-quickness haha

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: WizardVanWizard

Haha. It's cool. I'm a big music fan, and one thing I like doing is exploring instruments that AREN'T the standard guitar, bass, drum setup of most rock bands. Adding bluegrass instruments or chamber instruments is one way. I also like when jazz horns are added, but that is offtopic.

Though, for the life of me, I can't think of a single famous ukulele player. Perhaps someone on ATS could help me out there.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: WizardVanWizard
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Haha I bet Roy Clark has shredded a harp and moved on. You can't put the hurt on a harp like you can a necked instrument. Sometimes you gotta manhandle 'em haha

True, you can't manhandle a harp. But this man sure makes it sound good.

I know this is a little long, but I can listen to this guy's stuff all day. It's on my alarm clock and my cell's ring tone.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Gotta add another, although I could add 100's.

This one comes with a little Story of the late BB King. Bill Szymczyk the producer of "Completely Well" that featured the Massive Hit "Thrill is Gone" (gives me goose bumps just typing the name of the song) Recorded the track w/o the strings, which were added later. He didn't know how BB would react to the added strings and brought him in the Studio for a listen, BB loved it so much he almost broke down in tears. What a number.

I still have the 45prm Single I bought in 1969. (scratchy)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I've seen these guys a few times...Pretty good.

Another fav, but pretty mainstream jamband

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Thank you for posting the video!

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yes there are so many great sounds out there. My heart and soul belongs to the electric guitar and the various blues/country/rnr idioms, but I love cleansing my palette with all sorts of weird things. And yeah I'm stuck on uke players, too haha. I know George Harrison played the hell out of one but I wouldn't consider him a 'ukelele player'.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

That's great stuff, thanks for posting!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Just to add to this thread, a classic one-hit wonder from the Seventies, John Miles and "Music", a performance from the Proms with full orchestra;

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Just to add to this thread, a classic one-hit wonder from the Seventies, John Miles and "Music", a performance from the Proms with full orchestra;
www.youtube.com...
edit on 17/6/2015 by royspeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Speaking of one-hitters, remember 'Butterfly of Love'? so sweet.

www.youtube.com...

here's an obscure tune from Jars of Clay, called 'Frail'. completely unlike anything else they've ever done. very beautiful.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I seem to not be able to find the Message button, or IdId have messaged this to you ColeYounger... In another thread of yours you mentioned C2C AM. Are you an insider? Here's the thing: My s spouse has a song which was used as bumper music in July of 2013. We'd love to hear it, I think it was JULY 7 or JULY 13. Is there a way to check or for us to hear just that part of the episode? He was given credit as ShawnSolo.
Thanks for any info you can offer! reply to: ColeYounger

Here's the episode: july 2013
edit on 24-7-2015 by kkrattiger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join