It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 headed to Europe to counter Russian Threats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Yes...it is RT. Interesting though. Any of our knowledgeable aircraft folks here get any word on this as well?

Source

A senior US Air Force official called the current situation with Russia “the biggest threat” on her mind, hinting at a possible display of power that could see American military aircraft, including F-22 Raptor fighter jets, deployed to Europe.

The Air Force is now considering a plan to further increase the number of its rotational forces in Europe, the US Secretary of the Air Force, Deborah Lee James, told reporters at the Paris Airshow at Le Bourget.

“That’s the beginning, there will be more. You’ll continue to see more and more rotational forces,” James said as quoted by Reuters. “The biggest threat on my mind is what’s happening with Russia and the activities of Russia. That’s a big part of why I’m here in Europe.”

When it came to details, the official only said she saw “no reason” why the fifth-generation F-22 fighter jets could not be stationed in Europe, but refused to elaborate.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
When it came to details, the official only said she saw “no reason” why the fifth-generation F-22 fighter jets could not be stationed in Europe, but refused to elaborate.

Please refrain from stationing them in Rammstein, or on any other base in Germany, many thanks. We have enough ethical problems with MCE/LREs controlling the drones above Afghanistan/Pakistan/wherever from Rammstein.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

If they go, they'll go all over. The current TSP has been in Latvia, Poland, Lithuania, and many other nations working with various military forces.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
To be honest, they are probably visiting for all the summer airshows that happen across Europe at this time of year.

There's a lot of Russian media bleating on about US and I cannot help thinking this is typical diversionary tactics and designed to push the "we are the victims" malarkey.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
To be honest, they are probably visiting for all the summer airshows that happen across Europe at this time of year.

There's a lot of Russian media bleating on about US and I cannot help thinking this is typical diversionary tactics and designed to push the "we are the victims" malarkey.

I found this story interesting mostly because of the push all over the Ukraine to remove any remnants of Soviet influence and communism. They are, as I type this, removing all statues, emblems, etc.....I don't think Putin likes this very much and is really pushing hard on Ukraine right now, to the point that the US may see the writing on the wall if they don't intervene.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I love the title "F-22 headed to Europe to counter Russian Threats"

My first thoughts were, I know this plane is bad ass, but are they really only sending one F-22 to take care of this problem?

edit on 16-6-2015 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

They may split off to visit but it's not the primary mission.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: paraphi

They may split off to visit but it's not the primary mission.

Ominous.....

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The primary mission is the same as the current TSP that's there. Train with other military units in Europe.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Apparently she had a lot more to say on the topic as well.

Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James came out swinging today here, forcefully telling reporters that she was here and traveling throughout Europe tp deliver a message of reassurance in the face of a “resurgent Russia.”

“I would say, the biggest threat on my mind [is] the activities of Russia,” she said when asked by a reporter what is the biggest threat America faces. “That’s a big part of why I am here in Europe to hold these discussions.”

She mentioned the two B-2 stealth bombers now at Fairford Air Base in the U.K., as well as older B-52s. She also pointed to a U-2 spyplane operating from Akoritir, Cyprus: Until a few years ago the fact of those flights were top secret.

And she said she could “easily see the day soon when the F-22 might rotate in to Europe to help bolster NATO defense against Russia. Given the symbolic importance of the F-22 as the world’s premier fighter, this would be a stark message for Vladimir Putin to receive.

So she clearly was threatening them with B-2's, B-52's, a U-2's and F22's.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Um what? She said they are operating in Europe, which they are. There are four exercises going on now that they're participating in. There was no threat.

And the U-2 is hardly a threat.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Um what? She said they are operating in Europe, which they are. There are four exercises going on now that they're participating in. There was no threat.

And the U-2 is hardly a threat.

Well...yeah....she specifically said:

Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James came out swinging today here, forcefully telling reporters that she was here and traveling throughout Europe to deliver a message of reassurance in the face of a “resurgent Russia.”

“I would say, the biggest threat on my mind [is] the activities of Russia,” she said when asked by a reporter what is the biggest threat America faces. “That’s a big part of why I am here in Europe to hold these discussions.”

At the very least I would say these quotes with the mention of what aircraft are there is a veiled threat.

If I were in an argument with someone and was sent me a video of them driving by my house with heavy weapons in the car describing them, I would take that as a threat.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Isnt the Eurofighter good enough?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

As opposed to Russian MiGs flying 10 feet of an RC-135? Or groups of bombers and fighters flying into an ADIZ?

Mentioning that there are two B-2s or two B-52s in Europe is not a threat, veiled or otherwise. Four bombers aren't a threat to Russia. That's like driving past an armed military unit and trying to threaten them by flashing a Derringer.

As for the reassurance, Russia has been more active than since the cold war. Some nations with smaller militaries are nervous about it.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

There are currently 427 Typhoons total. In the event of a war that's nowhere near enough.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Obama and the Democrats told us all that Romney was crazy, Russia is no threat and a partner of peace. This must be a lie.

Back in reality, this would seem to make sense. The best war is the one that is prevented.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Don't forget though that Russia were flying their bombers again towards UK (before they broke) and Baltic States trying to track submarines off their costs and that Russia did what it did in Ukrain, I would say the response is quite subtle.

top topics

join