It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Court Rules Living ‘Off The Grid’ Is Illegal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
if one truly wants to live off grid without being molested by the government, one must look to international waters and sea craft. living on boats gives one the ability to live inconspicuously, even within the US borders.

You cant avoid the County assessors office if you live in their county as a property owner, which means you must comply, unless you have government resources to combat them.

Its always best to keep moving along until you find Sanctuary because Florida aint it.

Missouri is. Lol

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Don't blame the judge; he applied the law. Florida and other states need new "off the grid" laws.
a reply to: maddy21

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well it's been 3 days. Nothing Huy?

I guess that's your answer. Cowards. LOL!

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

, and chances are that these people won't take the proper case to dispose of their toilet and brackish water waste in a responsible manner.

Ok sewerage fair enough but brackish water really
But its ok for the water table to polluted by fracking contaminants?

www.globalresearch.ca...

Lena Headley lives in in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. She and her husband bought a small farm for their semi-retirement with the mineral rights but not the oil and gas rights. Over the last seven years 5 gas wells and a transmission pipeline have been put on their land. The effect has been devastating: Pollution of land and air together with destruction of fruit trees and the burning of 10 acres of ground by the gas drillers. Gas wells leak and a spring 200 feet from her house is so rich with gas it can be set on fire.

Visits to the family doctor have become common. Her 5 year old son Adam suffers from crippling stomach pains. Lena has said that she wants her story to act as warning to ordinary people about the dangers of fracking.

In an interview in 2012 she said;” And why? All because of an uncaring, dirty industry, driven by greed, selling their souls, leaving our health, environment, and rights behind as waste. When will this nightmare end ???”.

Governments across the world are triumphantly declaring that gas fracking is the solution to our rapacious energy needs. Yet as each month goes by new studies emerge in the United States of how this industry is poisoning water supplies and posing a grave threat to public health.

In December, a team of scientists from the University of Missouri published a study in the Journal of Endocrinology that revealed that over 700 different chemicals are used by the fracking industry. Their study focused upon a dozen fracking chemicals which had contaminated water supplies in Colorado which is home to over 10,000 fracking gas wells. They took samples of contaminated river water from areas close to fracking sites and found that these chemicals disrupt the normal functioning of the endocrine system and can lead to cancer, infertility and birth defects.

Yet government politicians, who are spokespeople for the suicide capitalists who own the big energy companies, insist that fracking is safe. Take US Interior Secretary Sally Jewell’s comment in November that,””I think that there’s a lot of misinformation about fracking,” Jewell said, adding: “I think that it’s part of the industry’s job to make sure that the public understands what it is, how it’s done, and why it’s safe.”

How can drinking poisoned water be safe? Numerous scientific studies have concluded that fracking poisons the local water supply by adding carcinogens and radioactive materials. According to Dr.Sandra Stenigraber, Distinguished Scholar in Residence at Ithaca College and Science Advisor to Breast Cancer Action, there have been over 1,000 different cases of water contamination near fracking sites.

In many areas across America fracking has led to high levels of arsenic and other toxic heavy metals in ground water near drilling sites. Researchers from University of Texas last year found levels of arsenic 18 times higher than in areas without fracking. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has found elevated levels of arsenic in Wyoming and Pennsylvania. Meanwhile, scientists at Duke University have found high levels of methane, propane and ethane in ground water samples near fracking sites in northern Pennsylvania.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Well, if you aren't hooked up to sewer, you're going to be dumping your waste on your land in ways that may not be very safe. Your waste could leech into the subsurface groundwater and contaminate other people's property, or the entire town/city's itself.

This isn't just "we're scared you're independent" -- this is looking out for the common good of everyone, and chances are that these people won't take the proper case to dispose of their toilet and brackish water waste in a responsible manner.

There's always more to the story. The government isn't always out to oppress you and keep you in a cage because it's fun for them.

I am going to assume from your post that you have likely never lived outside a city or town, or at least off of a town water grid, because there is a very simple technique used to manage and safely dispose of human waste, it's called a Septic Bed/weeping bed. It's a fairly simple and relatively cheap to set up system and will run without issue for many years to come. But you are correct there is always more to the story, I don't know if she had one set up or not, merely trying to point out that it isn't nearly as hard to manage as you were making it seem from your post.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: looneylupinsrevenge

I know what a septic system is an how it works, unfortunately not everyone knows how to properly install one. Some people may not want to spend the money to do it properly, and skimp on it. If you've ever had to replace a septic system, you'll agree its not cheap to hire an excavator...Installing one isn't cheap either.
edit on 20-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: MystikMushroom
The sewage thing is understandable but in the OP it's unclear about solar panels?

Not really..sewerage is easy ever heard of compost toilets.....

Find out more about the science behind toilet composting and how it uses no chemicals or water and have no polluting discharge. They can save up to 60,000 litres of water per year in the average home and cost far less than regular treatment systems.

www.clivusmultrum.com.au...

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: looneylupinsrevenge

I know what a septic system is an how it works, unfortunately not everyone knows how to properly install one. Some people may not want to spend the money to do it properly, and skimp on it. If you've ever had to replace a septic system, you'll agree its not cheap to hire an excavator...Installing one isn't cheap either.

It's not cheap, but it's far cheaper than hooking up to town water (for a fresh install anyway... it can cost upwards of $80K+ for a simple hook-up), so by comparison a septic bed is far cheaper, don't you agree. Not to mention that depending on what type of soil conditions you have at your home it might also be possible to hand dig the septic bed in, either originally or as a replacement, which can and does save on the cost of the excavator (you would still likely need one for the holding tank and for your tie-in as those can require you to dig 5+ feet deep and even in sand that's not fun... trust me) . As for not everyone knowing how to install one, well that's what google and/or contractors are for.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

if one truly wants to live off grid without being molested by the government, one must look to international waters and sea craft. living on boats gives one the ability to live inconspicuously, even within the US borders.

Certainly one way...

Though international waters are in essence NOWHERE.... I mean, no access to resources of any kind other than what is on board.

Interesting idea though, convert some old large ship for a doomsday off grid living space. Zombies, Nuclear War, Pandemic? Bah...no matter to you there.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If you could imagine every "homeless person" (BUM) your side of the Mississippi intent on moving to your state to demolish the local environment daily in their pursuit of sitting around collecting free booze money (they have EBT cards, get free food all around while surelt having better helthcare benefits than most the working class I know) you might redefine your concept of "homeless" (in MOST cases they are simply BUMS, that happen to be homeless (because they are BUMS).

Anyways, I know in other parts of the state, you can live in a property without being REQUIRED to have and therefore pay for 'utilities' (city/etc monopoly water/etc)... so this story is odd to me initially outside of a situation of building a new site without hooking up... well actually, they can install the street side of the meter but making you hook the home side up, just sounds crazy to me... this story makes no sense to my insights... except the part she's had like 40 something code violations (which most of them I suspect are for having a site resembling a landfill'esque Bum Circle invitational type of junkyard. That as the pretext: this story makes a lot more sense. Like a modern art coming of age piece about a decade of hillbillyville and they finally cleaning up and on course, yet still getting shafted by the county's code stickler put on them for all those previous sins. Of course having the jurisdictions most ruthless clipboard cruncher all up in their arse (as is probably the case) likely lubricates the ugly scene confrontational showdown behind each major violation. I suspect a Youtube channel of the entire saga over there would make for great television (and even more entertaining comments sections
).

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

I'm actually dealing with a similar problem. The town I moved to about a year ago decided to extend the city water limits.
Where we live there is a perfectly good well that we use. We don't use their water, but they are still charging us about 150$... 100 to pay back their loan every month then 50 for water WE DONT EVEN USE!!!! Every month.... Oh and sewage we don't use. And we were not part of the decision making process and I think it's a crock of @#*@! Why should I have to pay for something that was unnecessary to begin with? And then water I don't even use???? Answer me that.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It gets a little ridiculous though, see my above post. And I'm not a bum. I live in the country, but I keep my yard clean and full of gardens. The government is out of control. They're money hungry and thats all. Period.
edit on 7-9-2015 by NaughtyLibrarian because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join